Could we see Blood Elf or Void Elf Druids in the Future?

Could we ever see the Thalassian Race known as the High Elves of the Void Elves, and Blood Elves ever returning back to the Warcraft 2 roots of being connected with Nature?

Atleast from the Old Lore there was Thalassian Druids that did had some Tree Garden Groves near the Runestones until they were like destroyed or did the Thalassian High Elves just lost their connection to Nature?

If some crazy ideas of how these two playable High Elves would get the Druid Option what Forms and Features would bring? So far for what I could see the Blood Elves would be based on the Sun or the animals around them like Lynxs, Dragonhawks, and etc while the Void Elves if it might key word being might have the option to be Druids. I could see them go with a Twisted Thalassian Garden kind of like the Nightmare except Voidy like Purpleish Blue Tree or Purple and the Forms would be Voidy like out of the Rift that is shattered within the Twisting Nether like maybe twisted creatures from the Void or something would be Druid Forms?

But ether way. I think it would be kind of cool to see the Thalassian Races have the Druid Option back within their society. What do you think?

2 Likes

They should let everybody be any class they want.

And let us customize those spells with our chosen visuals.

Imagine a Plague Druid Forsaken.

4 Likes

The closest thing we’ve seen to druids amongst the Thalassian elves recently are the botanists, which are not quite the same. They still have connections to nature (they had a huge tree in southern Eversong before the Scourge invaded that was connected to the Sunwell), but they don’t have the same massive history of druidic tradition that the Kaldorei have. From my very brief perusal of Wowpedia, it looks like the old reference to Thalassian druids in Warcraft II has been retconned to them being mages instead.

Personally I’m fine with Blood Elves not having druids as a playable class. Blood elves can already be every single class aside from druids and shamans, which puts them ahead of all other playable races, if I recall correctly. EDIT: I was incorrect, both core and allied race dwarves and trolls can pick from all but two classes as well.

I don’t think it’ll happen. Whatever WC2 lore tidbit that was has been retconned out an eternity ago. For a long time now it’s been known high elves were exiled because they didn’t get on board with the druid age night elves went with. Their society has revolved around the arcane since it started and now the Light as well.

They respect nature as anyone would, but not in the same ways and methods night elves do.

Void elves would definitely not have them. Their bodies have been given to the Void and they were banished for their interests in it too. Void and Life magic don’t really go well together. It’s really unlikely a void elf would suddenly forsake the Void, which they can’t escape anyways, to try to become a druid.

tbh the High Botanist even has healing form if the fight lasts long enough (and is wearing a druid tier set).

Also Thas’alah, in WC3, was a straight up world tree, it was only kept vague whether it still counts as one in Legion’s description of it. Funnily enough both BC questing and Vereesa’s stories definitely kept the idea that some high and blood elves can still speak to trees just fine (and Ysera’s blessing predates the schism that led to the founding of Quel’thalas).

Also not going to lie there is a small part of me that feels like it would be justifiable for trolls and elves to have all-class access even if other races didn’t, but other races should probably gradually have that limit removed. They are, after all, Azeroth’s implied main species (and troll/draenei DH would hopefully reduce some of the whining for new DH races).

On a purely basic level, also, Eversong wildlife needs updates since a lot of the models are getting old, and a druid with hawkstrider, dragonhawk, lynx and eversong treant forms would probably be cause enough to update them. It was fairly obvious in Legion that the harpy and velf chocobos were basically just minor retextures on the same old models.

Maybe with moon-skinned nelf paladin since those two are the most requested additional race/class combos for elves.

This. Remember, these “roots” in WCII are now so old and outdated that the total time where this bit of lore has been non-canon is much longer than the total time where it was canon. When this is the case, nobody should be visualizing the non-canon lore as “true” in their mind anymore.

That would be like still maintaining in your heart that returning to the “roots” of WoW would be the RPG, when the RPG has been non-canon for longer than it ever was canon!

Plus, the safest course of action is to always assume that literally everything from the WCI and WCII games is now retconned by newer lore. I still remember that legit psycho on this forum from years ago who maintained that Orgrim assassinated Lothar with a large group because Blizzard wasn’t “allowed” to retcon the WCII game with a book.

EDIT: lore aside, though: all classes for all races, gameplay tops lore. Sorry not sorry.

3 Likes

The Quel’dorei were the arcane obsessed magic class. The nature freaks were the Kaldorei. The closest thing to a “Blood Elf drud” were the mad Botanomancers in Tempest Keep. They had their spiritual ancestors in Suramar, but they were e not nature devotes, they were arcanists who experimented on plants with arcane magic.

Nightborne Druids make sense given the Botanists.

Belf and Velf not so much. Not at this point in the game.

The logic that applies to excluding the Blood Elves hits equally with the Nightborne. They locked themselves inside an arcane bubble for 13,000 years, that does not suggest nature devotion to me.

1 Like

Not all classes have to be the same.

Zandalari Paladins worship a Trex loa with solar powers. Tauren paladins worship the Sun aka Anshe. Belf Paladins use a mix of arcane and light straight into their veins (not a question of faith).

Same way KT Druids use Death Nature rather than Elune Nature or Wild God Worship Nature.

A Druid that is just a nature mage is fair.

But a “Druid” that is really a Blood Elf mad scientist should not get the Cenarian membership or the exact same powers as a real nature devoted Druid. Things get sketchy enough with some of the new races that are Druids now but this twists the notion of a Druid beyond the limits of versimilitude.

2 Likes

Nightborne are fine because of the Arcandor, created by Pre Cenarius Night Elf Nature Magic + Arcane Magic.

It’s fine, hell more proximal to normal Druidry than the Kul Tirans

The creation of one magical fruit tree that the Nightborne had nothing to do with doesn’t reverse 13,000 years of separation from the natural world.

3 Likes

And yet Botanists maintained magical gardens, it’s fine

When it comes to druids, if we’re going for a new one on each faction, i think Wildhammer Dwarves & Nightborne are the most interesting choices for new options.

While there’s no Wildhammer AR, they could still add the option to regular dwarves. But maybe if you pick a Dwarf Druid you have to use some kind of Wildhammer Markings etc. But they could have some really cool options. Would be nice to have some druidic beard options too like leaves/twigs. Similar to the night elf toggle.

When it comes to Elven druids on the horde, I think Nightborne are a better option. I feel like it would benefit them more than Blood Elves and if they go the route of the Botanists there could be some cool aesthetics there. They might be Arcane/Mage ish druids but i think it could still work. Imagine their forms reflecting their arcane magic? Or even their spells if we ever get glyphs to respect certian race/class fantasties?

If one was going to add a new Druid race to the Horde, my preference would be the Vulpera which would give us some nice fox and vulture related forms.

1 Like

The ship of Cenarion approval sailed with Kul Tirans.

If I was being honest, it shipped with Gilnean druids and Goblin shamans.

Hopefully not.

I would sooner see orc druids and the twist being that the bleeding hollow has some connection through a retcon. Involving “reverse engineering” Primal magic (plant people) and then have the form stuff be loa or spirit connected.

Cenarius has nothing to do with shamanism.

The Gilnean Druids at least have the link with the prior history of the Order of the Pack and the Harvest Witch traditions.

The harvest witch tradition for a country that was basically early industrial England is a weaker justification for druids than people who literally lived around an implied world tree and who, based on the timeline, have Ysera’s blessing being able to do life magic (which is still implied to be a part of the belf ranger toolkit in their wow starter quests).

Goblin shamans was mostly because they made an even bigger mockery of nature magic lore than worgen druids