Could we get a new way to level?

Sure, i have done the same, parking my army of alts etc. I guess ive gotten to the point where i ask myself what is the point of continuing to grind the same tamer battles ive done hundreds of times before, with the same teams, etc etc.

If the argument is there is low engagement in pet battles, and thus is abandoned (outside of new pets per patch and non leveling tamers), then so be it. Ill level there 5 new pets i need for battling per expansion and just stick to collecting.

But, if the idea is to not bleed more of the pet battle community, then a new way of leveling would be nice. As I said previously, many of us that enjoy pet battles, but do most of the other aspects of the game as well arent jumping at grinding Ashlei and others another 365 times this year, like I did for the few years. Been there done that.

Lastly, one minor thing to add. This isnt hard for blizz to add in the slightest, especially with how receptive theyve been for WWI. Just make the new tamers capable of giving a reasonable amount of experience. Easy.

IS there low engagement in Pet Battling?

45% of Wowhead users have completed Taming The World, so I think we can say that about half the playerbase has given them a good try.

Here are the numbers from Wowhead for the Basic and Family achievements from each expansion

Expansion Basic Family
Legion 32% 18%
BfA 29% 16%
Shadowlands 28% 15%
Dragonflight 24% 15%

Allowing for the fact that the older expansions have had more time for people to complete them, I’d call that pretty consistent.

I’d characterise those numbers as:

Half of players have given pet battles a good try.
Half of those keep up with the basic content of each expansion.
More than half of those do the most difficult content of each expansion,

For a minigame, I’d call that pretty good engagement.

1 Like

myself right now sitting on my bank alt she has about 2,500+ different breed leveling stones and different breed rare stones…that’s not counting over 45,000 or so Pet Charms I have right now too

I don’t know what to say to that. I keep some in my bank, but nowhere near that many. My obsession is leveling pets and selling them on other realms. I use the money I make to buy pets I can’t be arsed to collect. Less profitable than it used to be, but worth the time.

As for the OP. I have been collecting pets for so long, it’s hard to remember how I leveled all my pets. Our collections are in the same neighborhood, but it looks like you have 500 or so pets that need to me leveled. Looks like you need to find someone like Moused and set up some arbitrage.

There are many time I think we create our own problems. Content gets devoured at such a rate that it seems like devs feel the need to keep churning out stuff at a high volume. But when you appeal to the top 10% of players, you leave a lot of normies behind.

I shudder to think what it would be like for a newbie to try to start collecting and leveling pets now. You could spend 6 months doing nothing but that and still be looking at a mountain in front of you.

Wowhead data requires input from the players… Dataforazeroth puts Taming the World at 13%

I thought this was a thing recently but not sure, would definitely make it easier for new players to access WQs that have the various charms and stones.

That is why Blizzard made it a bit easier for new players by allowing them too go up against Battler Tamers across the game with level 1 team of pets if need be now…before you couldn’t do the higher end Battler Tamer without higher level pets in your stable.

1 Like

Nice as it is to have this option, there’s a couple of drawbacks to the level 1 teams though. They work great against a 1-pet, assuming you have the right level 1’s yourself. A little trickier against the trainers with 2-pet teams, but there aren’t that many of those. Going against a 3-pet trainer may be impossible for most battles.

Other problem is that if you do succeed, even without any buffs active one of your pets becomes level 2 and needs to be replaced. At level 2 your opponent still has only 1 action but seems as though its health and power has increased more than yours. Plus you now need three level 2’s on your team to be competitive.

For tamers BFA & Onward, not for anything previous to BFA.

One thing that could speed things up would be an option to turn off the animations when battling. Just a quick back and forth showing damage.

1 Like