Could there be room for another faction?

I would be OK with that, but I think three factons is “less improbable”.

I recall reading something before about Blizzard floating the idea of a third faction as a result of the Sylvanas plot arc, splintering the Forsaken off into another faction almost like a pseudo-Scourge but the idea was scrapped because it would pose a lot of complications regarding older content plus it would likely break-up guilds, especially if a pre-existing Horde race was moved.

That being said, I think if they did opt for another faction I think it would be easiest if they made a neutral faction similar to how EverQuest has neutral races. Any pre-existing race could pick if they wanted to opt for their current faction or neutrality to give them limited access to both cities and to communicate with players of both sides.

Going this route would probably be a lot less cumbersome in terms of implementing an entire new faction and would allow them to piggyback on existing content more easily. I would LOVE to play my Wildhammer and Goblin Shamans as neutral members of the Earthen Ring, that would be awesome.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before but I think they could go in a direction where folks could choose to “leave” their faction (and the faction conflict) and join their “class” orders. Most likely all of the “factionless” would share one quest path (and when we are working together, follow the same path).

That concept could be applied to a third faction. With cross faction raids/etc, cross faction guilds upcoming, and I’m guessing more faction restrictions removed, the third faction would really only suffer issues with the AH (and I guess channels but whatever).

At that point it’s a question of “why would someone want to join?” Some folks would just for role playing and/or distaste at the current storylines. Some folks will go with the characters they like. Currently unaffiliated characters like Illidan, Sylvanas, Bolvar maybe, and possibly even Azshara could fit the bill. It would also offer “supporting units” - Illidari, Dark Rangers, Death Knights, and even Naga provide backdrop units.

But a lot of folks are only interested in the mechanics. Allowing any race in would be useful, cross faction questing isn’t likely to be a thing, but it’s honestly the only thing I can think of that would appeal mechanically. I don’t know if the combination of icons, storyline, and coop questing regardless of race is enough for them to try something like this, especially when there are plenty of reps locked to one faction or the other (causing more issues). I think at this point since they are easing restrictions on cross faction they might be baking some dynamic aspects to address that concern, but it’s a lot.

1 Like

Personally i would go for a darker themed faction. There wouldn’t be a point in adding another faction if it’s just another Horde or Alliance. Adding a third faction would mess with the dynamic in a huge way so they’ll have to go big with the third faction to differentiate it from the other two.

It would be fun to examine cultures, communities and personalities that we only see from an antagonistic view point. Darker elements aren’t for everyone so this faction could be a way to “opt” into those kind of stories.

1 Like

It’s hard to envision the developers taking on another faction with its own unique plot points and characters when they already seem to have their plate full with just the Alliance and Horde.

Looking at Dragonflight and the extent of how bipartisan and cooperative all characters seem to be, it’s hard to envision a future where factions are even a thing.

A third faction is a great idea!

…for world, objective-based PvP on a persistent basis. That does not sound like any iteration of WoW within recent memory.

For PvE it increases most of the dev-end current issues with two factions while effectively killing the marketing benefits of two factions; trichotomies are never, ever as good at building the “grrrrrr!” feelings as dichotomies.

If someone else did the writing perhaps.

Blizzard can’t even be bothered to write a coherent story for two factions.

I would steer them away from many of the mistakes they make over and over.

1 Like

They struggle with 2 factions already.