Could some here discuss bootcamp a bit?

I did it once before, it was a pretty well designed and supported thing but now is now. apple is moving away from intel hardware … I’m sure it’s suppored-ish … so how is it.

like in the past … I recall actually having to purchase a specialized disk defragment tool that would physically move all the blocks to one side of the hard drive before I would split it … but that was back with a physical drive … where having things aligned per-OS theoretically helped a mechanical drive

any thoughts or reflections on the process today? do you use a avirus tool now with windows? whatever comes to mind.

Your best option would be to run Windows on its own hard drive, not on a partition of an existing Mac drive. Consider a fast external SSD drive if you only have a single hard drive internally. Mechanical drive would work but throughput may be an issue. Reformat said drive in NTFS and install Windows 8. I don’t know if they ever added support for 10 or 11.

Apple doesn’t really support bootcamp anymore. This means they aren’t providing drivers for any hardware that isn’t INTEL based. They only provide drivers for hardware that shipped in their systems, not aftermarket or hackintosh setups. Said drivers are dated because the hardware is dated. It’s also one of the reasons why Mac support for WoW is so abysmal… Apple isn’t in the habit of updating their drivers… they are in the habit of selling you new hardware with new drivers.

Antivirus is prudent on the PC side because it is the most flagrantly attacked. Mac is ignored for the most part, which is why we have a seemingly more secure OS… but that’s only because no one cares to mess with it like Windows.

So, like bootcamp will work for now… its foreseeable future is also in question. If you can’t install the latest Windows OS, you may be locked out of WoW in a future expansion.

It’s a stop-gap at best these days… the reality is, buy a PC to play PC games. WoW is likely to drop Mac support entirely real soon. It’s not the only company doing this, almost all of the Mac titles are dropping Mac support due to ARM. Guildwars 2, Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings… the list grows everyday.

2 Likes

maybe not a welcome pov, but certainly helpful and well put together. appreciate it. yeah, stuff that fits is better than trying to shoe-horn things together. thanks.