Corrupted Items Details and Feedback

(Kaivax) #1

The most recent PTR build introduced an early version of our Corrupted Items system, and we’d like to highlight a few aspects of how the Corruption system works, and our goals as we iterate on it.

How Corruption Works

Items from Ny’alotha, Mythic Keystone dungeons in Season 4, BfA PvP Season 4, the Heroic Darkshore Warfront, and other new sources of loot that are updated with Season 4 will not be able to Warforge or Titanforge. Items from older content will retain an effective “ceiling” of item level 455, as they do today.

There will be a chance for these new items to be Corrupted by N’Zoth. A Corrupted item has a powerful beneficial property, similar to many of the Benthic effects seen in Nazjatar, but has a new detrimental stat: Corruption. Items can have varying levels of Corruption, with the amount of Corruption present correlating directly with the power of the beneficial upside (for example: an item might give 4% Critical Strike damage and 10 Corruption, or 6% Critical Strike damage and 15 Corruption).

Corruption represents the influence of N’Zoth, which will have negative effects on the wearer. As Corruption increases, a series of drawbacks are activated. You might remember how Corruption worked on the Cho’gall encounter back in Bastion of Twilight – that was a source of inspiration here. The drawbacks currently on the PTR are works-in-progress and not-yet-tuned, and we have changes already implemented in the next PTR build. Our general intent is for low Corruption to activate a minor effect that most people can play around without too much difficulty, medium levels of Corruption to activate a couple more effects that have a higher skill cap (nd may be more situational in where and when someone can handle having them active), and high levels of Corruption to be prohibitive, and virtually never worth it.

Gear that makes your character worse when you equip it doesn’t sound terribly appealing, but fortunately there will be a few ways of dealing with Corruption. The legendary cloak that players will earn from Wrathion early on in Visions of N’Zoth will negate some Corruption, and can be upgraded through entering and completing Horrific Visions to provide even more of a bulwark against Corruption.

Early on, we expect that players might wear one or maybe two pieces of Corrupted gear at a time. Later on, three or four pieces might be manageable. The vast majority of the gear players wear, even later on, will not be Corrupted. And these perks aren’t planned to be slot-restricted, so if there’s a specific power you want, there should never be a concern that your item needs to roll with that affix to be useful.

We also never want an item that would otherwise be an upgrade to feel unusable as a result of being Corrupted, so any Corrupted items can be taken to the Heart Forge and purified without restriction . If you get that trinket you’ve been hoping for, but it’s Corrupted with a beneficial effect you don’t like, or wearing it would push you above a Corruption threshold you’re comfortable with, just purify the item and carry on.

Itemization Philosophy

With itemization, we’re always looking for opportunities to create moments of excitement and choices and options to customize your gameplay to suit your playstyle and the content you choose to play. Warforging created some of this by allowing useful rewards to come from a wide range of content, and ensuring that there was almost always at least the chance of an upgrade from any repeat boss kill or other source of loot. However, as we’ve seen and heard clearly in feedback over the past years, it has also brought significant downsides: Progression feels less rewarding, as players killing a raid boss on a new difficulty for the first time often disenchant much of the loot because they have equal or better Warforged items from lower difficulties or other sources. In addition, the feeling that a given item could have Warforged more and been even better can leave a sense of disappointment at what should have been a clear reward moment. And the sense that these systems are out of players’ direct control makes it harder to work towards a clear goal or state of completion.

The Corruption system isn’t a permanent addition to World of Warcraft, but it is an extension of the theme of N’Zoth’s pervasive and growing influence over Azeroth. As we explore this over the course of the PTR, we’d love to hear feedback about the initial round of powers showing up on items, Corruption drawbacks that may be excessively punitive, and the system as a whole.

Please feel free to reply with your feedback here in this thread. Thank you very much!

Corrupted gear leading to more class imbalances
Corruption is Cool
8.3 in 2020 is terrible
Corruption Resist as an Azerite trait
Heart of Azeroth and Legendary Cloak Changes

What other sources will reduce corruption other than the cloak?

I know it’s only datamining, but it looks like the new infinite trait will reduce corruption - Is that planned to be the case? And will the n’zoth essences reduce corruption by 10 (its unique so only one counts) still?

(Axeperson) #3

my initial thoughts are i’d just like a period of time where there isn’t some random proc that can make an item better/worse (because if you roll an item with too high corruption, you wouldn’t dare use it). I don’t mind there being special things that can happen to items and while this system could be fun for a period, most of it’s potential fun has been ruined by the wf/tf system.

my suggestion, keep special flavor ideas like this around but don’t make it every expac and don’t make it so prevalent on how powerful we are. i’d probably restrict these to rings, trinkets and maybe weapons.

I love the titan forging system, so this feel like a step backward into madness. I do not find anything about corrupted items fun or likely to improve my gaming experience. My first blush was … oh god really… and it’s gotten worse from there.

I think we need more details on this. Does purifying item removes both positive and negative effects? Only negative? How much does it cost, if any?

(Draboe) #7

It removes everything but the base stats the item originally comes with.

(Axeperson) #8

there is a really simple idea you guys can implement that will allow that with talents. right now many specs are pigeonholed into one set of talents because those are the only ones that are good. my suggestion is that for every passing week that the simulations say that a talent is worse than the leading talent, buff it slightly.

for example, my hunter has never used spitting cobra this expac because it has always been a very subpar talent. just slightly buffing that talent until it’s roughly on par with the leading option will open up a lot of options for end game players instead of always having to use the same build for the entirety of an expansion. it would also help get rid of the elitist mentality that there is only one good talent build. it wouldn’t get rid of it since there are people who are like that in every game but it would reduce the amount of people like that while letting people have fun in different ways and even change their play style as they want.

Wow, imagine that… more RNG, how FUN

I’m going to ignore numbers on negative affects since I assume those are subject to be tuned. I played around with corrupted items a little bit. Here are a few issues I see so far from perspective of a raider.

1. Melee unfriendly negative affects. Melee is already not very desired in raiding and affects that either make you move out of a cloud or run away from an add chasing you as melee won’t help them much. Consider changing negative affects to be role based.

2. Affects on class balance are concerning, a hunter can use more corrupting items than a shadow priest. BM hunter can kite an add chasing him forever with no dps loss, shadow priest will fall out of void form trying to kite it.

3. Not very tank friendly, tanks can’t really move that much on some fights due to needing to keep a boss in specific place, Azshara comes to mind here. A cloud spawning under you that does damage or add that explodes when it reaches you just means tanks wont use these at all. Again role based negative affects would help here.

4. Too many layers of RNG, you can get some extra avoidance or crit damage corruption, or cooldown reduction on next 3 abilities corruption which is really good for some classes. On top of that RNG the power of these affects also ranges. That was the whole problem with benthic gear for mythic raiders, it wasn’t getting correct items and upgrading them but getting correct items with sockets too.

Please consider removing at least one layer of RNG by either allowing us to reroll which beneficial affect the item provides or the power of it using some in game currency that you can farm by doing in game conent. Removing both layers of RNG and allowing us to reroll both power and affect on items would be perfect. It would still feel good to get that perfect item from the get go, but at same time if you farm some materials you can reroll your corrupted item to suit your needs.

1. In 8.3 patch preview with Ion Hazzikostas he mentioned that you guys want to make it so best gear comes from hardest content for the most part. This system does not achieve that. On benthic boots 3% crit damage is worth 30+ ilvls, imagine an item with 7% crit damage and how many ilvls that is worth. Even 4-5% haste from all sources can be worth 20+ ilvls on bracers easily.

can u please remove the npc to reset azerite? is really bad to keep for 2 years just allow change azerite with tomes, everything in the BoA is bad jesus bring back auto invite addons/ add a "valor"cap make toons easier cause play with only 1 char cause need farm a neck is not fun

Willing to concede that this is feature is an extension of the flavor of the patch, but I don’t really understand why there needs to be any levels of RNG at all for gear outside of getting it to drop in the first place.

However, as we’ve seen and heard clearly in feedback over the past years, it has also brought significant downsides: Progression feels less rewarding, as players killing a raid boss on a new difficulty for the first time often disenchant much of the loot because they have equal or better Warforged items from lower difficulties or other sources. In addition, the feeling that a given item could have Warforged more and been even better can leave a sense of disappointment at what should have been a clear reward moment. And the sense that these systems are out of players’ direct control makes it harder to work towards a clear goal or state of completion.

So what exactly does this new system change then? Because now you have extremely powerful effects (and based on datamining, 3 different levels of them) and it’s still just a random proc on a powerful effect. Right now, I use 425 item level benthic effects in Eternal Palace over items as high as 455. If I get an item with a corrupted effect that gives me something like 7% crit damage from normal nyalotha, it’ll be better than anything I could get base in higher difficulties.

Doesn’t that just do the same thing?

What would actually be cool is if there was no gear RNG on gear and there were simply set in stone corrupted items on various loot tables in pvp, m+, and raids and it was up to the player to utilize the gameplay mechanics you guys plan on introducing to combat that corruption. But instead, you guys just painted lipstick on the same old pig.

Btw, you guys haven’t said anything about random sockets on gear which is just as bad and sometimes worse than titanforging

(Paeldryth) #13

Just bring back Valor and raising gear Ilvl with it instead of these convoluted systems that will require a raidbots subscription to figure out what is an upgrade.

If that’s the case, this system is meh.

It basically has to clear all effects – otherwise everyone would purify their items and only reap the benefits of the positive.

Isn’t that whole point of gearing? To have gear benefit your character… Why would I want to wear things that hurt my character and it’s power?

(Primalmatter) #17

My feedback isn’t really that complex…

This is awful don’t do this.

(Metrohaha) #18

I love the concept and welcome it as an interesting new way to maximize my character for sure.
I am concerned with how this will effect Mythic+ though, as now its repeatable gearing structure will have significantly diminished usage.

I’m not against that, as long as the game is balanced around this.
Many raiding guilds like ours who are at best moderately successful in this world of harder raid fights rely a lot in off-night gearing, but without that source of loot it will make progression considerably harder.

Still, as long as what ever happens is understood and accounted for I am fine with it.

Either way, I saw no notice of sockets or tertiary stats.
Anything to point out on those?

The items CAN still have sockets, I assume? If so, is that not going to dramatically complicate the value of this functionality?

Also,

Is this the case?
The wording on the cloak now reads “insanity” or something like that, and with it equipped (as well as with new essences too) I do not have any defense against corruption.

I assume this is just a bug then?
It seemed to me that the cloak actually was just not supposed to do that, and that’s why the wording was changed.

Either way, great ideas this expansion to keep gearing fresh.
Learn from what works and let’s not have to start all over again in 9.0!

EDIT - Also, I’d love to hear some information on how rare this will be. I believe that they should make this much more common than the previous system as there are less upwards possibilities from it, and that it has a detriment.

Make it so you get a significant amount of opportunities to get the items you want and purify away the ones you want.
That will avoid the arguements about RNG and wont actually give the player too much power, like would have happened if you did the same thing in the previous model.

Because as mentioned, some corrupted items can be managed.

Wearing 5 of them because it gives you crazy crit/haste isn’t ideal when the negative effects mean you’ll 1 shot yourself on a trash mob.

But wearing just 2, with corruption reduction from the cloak and other sources, might be worth the additional risk for the added benefit.

(Primalmatter) #20

How is this a great idea? Its just more rng added into the game. A really great idea would be to go back to items just dropping without any kind of rng procs to them.

(Metrohaha) #22

I do not fear RNG, and don’t really care if it adds more or less.
I like collecting a lot of gear and mixing and matching it, therefore I prefer a system that gives me variety of rewards in content I formerly could have gotten nothing from.

That’s why I liked Titanforging, and even though this will restrict my ability to do this in M+, this is also why I will like this feature - provided its balanced well.

My main concern is that it wont be, and that the raid will require insane usage of these items to even compete just like Mythic EP.

But I’ll avoid saying that outright until I know its happening.