Controversy: Mistweaving and Fistweaving

Are you looking at Raids or at Dungeons?

In a raid, it will be low.

In a dungeon? Does about 12% overall healing.

But here’s why it’s good:

1. It’s a smart heal. It will heal things Near your target that are damaged, if necessary.
  2. It heals for 61-70k, and will pop people that are dying without you even noticing.
  3. it procs from abilities, not from heals. So you can proc it with tiger palm/sck attacks etc.

It probably will be equal to Broodkeeper trinket in HPS in a dungeon, except noticeable when it works. It creates really smooth gameplay overall.

That being said, you do outgrow it eventually, and you really dont need it.

funny idea:
imagine a world (of warcraft) where both styles have viability and purpose
its kind of like this argument of one over the other is predicated on an expectation that there’s such limited support on the development & balancing side that it is necessarily impossibly to make both styles enjoyable.

4 Likes

If they both have identical healing, why would anyone take MW when with FW you get the healing AND damage?

Imo balancing them would mean FW loses some hps to balance out its gain in dps.

Or you could just improve ranged dps like literally every other ranged healer (Think, good crackling jade lightning) and not arbitrarily nerf the hps of the melee build, which is also harder to play.

Edit: These arguments are getting dumb. Just make both styles viable for dps and hps. It shouldn’t even be a consideration that one’s terrible in either dps or hps or that one is way more mana hungry. That said, if we’re going to balance them differently the melee style would be the one that rewards equal hps and better dps because the ranged build benefits from not having to deal with melee mechanics. You get an easier time currently at the cost of dps. That’s literally the trade off, but again it’s all dumb. Just make both competitive.

1 Like

Lol… no.

I think this is how it’s already balanced. Caster MW heals for much more, especially during CD’s and Fistweaving does more passive damage.

1 Like

Since there are more playstyles then just two, this is a bit of an oversimplification.

1 Like

Lol… yes. Wow, see that was as insightful as your comment. You contribute nothing to these conversations and just get into repeated arguments with people here while hiding on your classic druid. You cherry picked one part of my whole comment and said nothing of value. Unsurprising since it’s your M.O.

Ranged play is objectively easier when considering mechanics across the average encounter. It’s the reason why basically all mmo’s balance melee based upon lower uptime. That said, if you read my whole comment I said they should both be viable and was simply making a point that it makes no sense to lower the hps for a melee character solely based upon the fact they can do more damage. All that said, having read many of your posts, I could not care less about your feedback. You’re a troll, nothing more.

2 Likes

I don’t get into arguments with anyone. I get into discussions. This is a discussion, of which you think you should be rewarded with higher dps (i agree with higher dps) and equal hps (then what’s the benefit of ranged? Ranged in and of itself; so all healers should do less than Punch>Kick that isn’t a paladin or a MW??).

This is a melee-favored expac by the way, my friend, if you didn’t notice by meters and representation. But I’ll let that slide, because HPS obviously doesn’t mean all that much to you.

Thanks dog, I appreciate you.

After reading your initial post I decided to try it out and threw together a build very similar to the one you linked. Tried some low keys and felt like I had good hps, enough cds, and no mana problems. Doing damage was definitely lacking though.

Gonna throw your build in my loadouts and dig a little deeper. Looking forward to seeing how the 10.0.5 changes impact mistweaving.

1 Like

mw changes should improve dps on non fw builds through zen pulse at least.

1 Like

I really love fistweaving but I also love the casting from afar with soothing mist build too.

I’m not even kidding when I say this but I think the caster build is very slept on, I have seen mistweavers with tear/unison pull outwards of 150k+ hps

1 Like

I believe the problem is not the healing for mistweaving builds, but the mana.

2 Likes

To me nothing with MW will ever be as good as it was in MoP when we had two stances, chi, and the original mana tea. The spec was designed to be a melee healer and any other thoughts of being purely ranged meant you were knowingly gimping yourself.

When they tried to make it a ranged healer that’s when they screwed up and people who did not originally play the class fail to realize that fistweaving is a core part of the class that they can’t ignore. If you want to just ranged heal go elsewhere there are plenty of other classes for it. Stop trying to make MW something it was never meant to be.

Don’t be ridiculous, the caster build was viable for a longer time than Fistweaving was. Original FW lasted only 1 expansion which was MoP. The caster build was prominent throughout WoD to pretty much the end of SL.

You can’t add an alternative viable build for many years for MW monks and not expect people to be upset.

What are you? A monk dev? Who told you that it was something that was never meant be. If that were true then they would have never added it in the first place.

Two stances was WoD with Crane and Serpent, MoP had the spec stances with Serpent, Tiger, and Ox.

It’s probably important to note that the treatment of ‘fistweaving/mistweaving’ was fundamentally different between MoP/WoD and the current Legion-DF progression.

The original intent and design philosophy was that melee was a downtime thing, where the player did less healing in exchange for damage with the expectation that they would switch back to standard healing fully when damage ramped up again. It was only with Chi Explosion in WoD that you really had a ‘build’ for fistweaving.

In Legion they introduced Spirit of the Crane which (though it was underpowered compared to mana tea) encouraged weaving melee attacks with standard healing. This basically brought into play the original community idea of ‘fistweaving’ (using jab to generate chi for healing) that Blizzard had specifically killed mid-MoP. From there each expansion has added more to it until we’ve got current fistweaving.

People have gotten too used to treating fistweaving as something fundamentally different from mistweaving when that has never been the intent in either iteration. It’s always been a ‘mechanics on top of mistweaving’ approach until Dragonflight really dialed in on adding more unique* mechanical complexity to a caster-centric build.

1 Like

“Caster” Mistweaver is just resto druid lite, with none of the utility or damage. People are putting their heads in the sand and pretending that ignoring half of Mistweaver’s kit is some kind of alternate playstyle when it is largely a crutch.

1 Like

Reminds me of the guy on the mainpage that claims he refused to use a Dragon in NO cuz he doesnt like 'em.

Not really, you can literally go a caster build by opting for tear/unison/invokers/yu’lon instead of rising/fae/crane… I’m pretty sure there is even a mistweaver on this monk forums who got 2.6k io from playing a caster build, forgot his name but he is a dwarf