Considering Prot Warrior

Hi everyone, me again.

So I’ve been gearing and starting baby keys as my prot warrior. I initially started as night fae, but swapped to kyrian because I realize that shorter CD and utility really is fantastic for keys.

What I’m curious about now, are talents. Specifically, rows 3, 6 and 7.

Best Served Cold vs Booming Voice
Into the Fray vs Ravager
Heavy Repercussions vs Anger Management

When I look at subcreation I see a number of builds being used, all relatively close together. I’ve been using Best Served Cold+Ravager (seems great for aoe threat) and Anger Management, but slightly more players appear to be using Into the Fray and Heavy Repercussions.

If you have reprisal

BSC
iTF
AM

This is going to increase your dps and make sure to dump rage into revenge if you don’t need it for ip

1 Like

I will try this out, thank you. I’m concerned about dropping Ravager for AoE threat, but that’s something I think I might just need to work on (something I seem to struggle with to some degree on all tanks outside of prot pally lol).

-I mean… it sounds like you dont know what youre doing with a bear. The engaging part comes in answering group and enemy mechanics, of which warrior really only does with spell reflect. Where bear has a lot more going on, especially when things goes wrong. On a warrior you just die or run… there is no answer.

-I am fully aware how to play prot… it feels clunky. If you cant admit that… well your bias is already pretty evident so nm. Also, you cant play a revenge spec without reprisal… did you miss that part of my comment? I love revenge specs, and think revenge has always felt really good to press for various reasons.

-Youre over speculating my comment as well. There is a difference between a spec being overpowered and feeling smooth. Its the exact reason why prot pally is on the low end right now because it has these 2 to 3 second gaps in defense if you dont get procs for a string, thats the soft part i mentioned. Thunderclap felt smooth because when poo started to hit the fan, you popped avatar and started thunder clapping every other gcd weaving in whatever else was needed as you control/recover. Revenge ignore pain weaving was smooth and engaging, rewarding good play with procs outside of static rotation. The current iteration is not smooth… its clunky. Why do you think reprisal has the charge aspect AND the revenge rage… because without it, the spec is broken for any higher mythics.

-Warrior doesnt have a snare, or root, or dispel, or offensive rage dispel, or self heals, or off heals, or roar, or incapacitate, or brez (not to mention your choice of typhoon/mass root/bash)… you have spell reflect… thats it. And your choice of… reduced shockwave, or bolt. And unfortunately as much as i love spell reflect, it only really helps you out for a short time in clutch situations since they will cast again. Regular use is fantastic, but clutch use is short lived. You could say they have rallying cry as well, but i honestly dont think the % is really that impactful in M+ content especially since in my experience its used more often as a person cd rather than a group cd in M+. So to put it in a more simple way… warriors answer is to run or sit there and face tank and hope your healer has the answer for you. Healer feared/stunned/etc? Run. Youre dying and you dont have cds? Run. You feel like you might be able to make it by the time the healer is back? Clench your butthole and take it to the face. Druid has soooo many more answers. But youre right, the basic rotation for Beginners is (mangle cough*), thrash and IF. While debatable… id say the skill cap for bears is higher than warrior due to the sheer about of utility and pressure you can take off of a group. A warrior in its prime brings big damage and consistent low phy damage intake… thats it. Thats all it ever brings. Legion prot was smooth, BFA prot was smooth, SL prot is not smooth and has barrier to entry.

Thanks for showing us you have no idea what you’re talking about.

And you’re definitely not biased. Just play bear man, it’s obviously got the most tools of any tank and can literally deal with any situation all by itself. It’s amazing to me how anyone plays any other tank when there’s a bear in the game amirite? I mean, just look at all the stuff you have, wow!

But it has spell reflect, intervene, leaps, hamstring ( so yes a snare), charge roots, aoe taunts, cone stun, and a party wide health buff

It’s not even worth it man, this guy has too much of a hard-on for guardian that to him anything else is subpar.

I have to assume you are trolling?

1 Like

I swapped to prot warrior from being a boomkin as my guild was having trouble keeping tanks. At first I tried tanking as guardian on M SLG but it was super super boring. So I went back to my original tank from BC and I have not looked back. Prot warrior is very fun, fast pace and very competitive. We lack in ST damage but make up for that in terms of being the best at physical damage mitigation and super high AOE damage.

I assume you are trolling to think I’m trolling? That is literally what prot does best.

prot is super fun and every covenant is viable/ has its place.
Kyrian is a very well rounded option that I have played for most of the xpac, you cant really go wrong with it, spear is great for aggro, kiting, damage, you name it.
Night fae is also excellent for all of these things, with the added bonus that ancient aftershock will lock down an entire pack for 15s, nothing will be able to cast on you, which provides a MASSIVE amount of damage reduction for your group depending on the pack (mists packs for example, spirit bolts and harvest just wont go off while they are standing in aftershock, in addition to interrupting swing timers) and generating a ton of rage. Usually the downside to aftershock is that mobs can be moved out of it and you lose a bunch of value, but as the tank, you get to decide when the mobs move out, so it isnt as much of a problem. Soulshape is also a great kiting and positioning tool, giving an already mobile class a downright silly amount of movement abilities.
Necro is also quite good as the soulbinds make you very naturally tanky and fleshcraft is an incredible cooldown to have. Banner is quite good and will buff your groups dps considerably if used properly, esp when using glory legendary, so you can hit all 3 dps with 400 mastery (very big for stacked cd pulls/ phases like ingra maloch’s vulnerability)
Hell even Venthyr is pretty decent, it isn’t quite as versatile as the other covenants, but if you want snap aggro on big mobs, youve got it. I’ve had 25k openers as venthyr prot on bosses, the conduit that makes last stand boost your rage generation by 50% means you can spam condemn, the damage is frankly insane on a single target, which is where prot struggles. So if you can survive spending the rage in a more offensive way, condemn does really pay off, but it is less forgiving. The damage reduction from condemn only works on the target you use it on, meaning it usually isnt crazy valuable to use in aoe situations, but warrior already has a great toolkit to deal with aoe pulls.
they all work at high levels

tldr: go ahead and play night fae if you want, probably the best one but they all have their palce

1 Like

Prot Warrior is fun, my post was in jest. Settle down.

And my post replying to you was too, seems like you’re projecting for some reason.

:lying_face: okay dude.

Keep living in that dream world.

Blockquote
But it has spell reflect, intervene, leaps, hamstring ( so yes a snare), charge roots, aoe taunts, cone stun, and a party wide health buff

Yes, but all temporary. For example take first boss in plaguefall. None of that is a sustained help, plus youd be dragging the boss closer.

Leap is individual thats not utility. Hamstring is not a viable snare unless YOU are dying and need to run. So again, not utility. Hamstring as a dps, potentially yes.

Cone stun is kinda meh due to length of stun, but ill give you that one since it gets pretty convenient with the reduced cd.

The aoe taunt is for sure strong, no doubt. But again, im not sure that something that falls under utility. Its just the easiest way to get aggro on a lot of mobs. Which then would ask the question, why are you losing threat on mobs right? Every tank has a taunt, warriors just get a free oh i lost threat on everything button. So after brez if you died? I guess that might count as utility since no other tank can grab everything at once after dying.

Pretty sure i mentioned it before… play all the tanks… its too bad you just cant admit prot is a garbage build right now compared to previous iterations for the numerous reasons i listed. But please tell me more about how booming voice is SOOO engaging if you dont have reprisal.

Again, showing us all you know nothing about what you’re talking about.

Yes, guardian is broken in it’s current state. We know that already.

Now were just hoping you stop talking, for your own sake.