Considering a return, how the heck do I gear up?

I quit SL in mid-season 1 as I logged on one day and just could not bear to do another Choreghast run.

I am considering giving it another go but knowing how convoluted the systems in WoW usually become I would like to know the best way to gear for PvP right now? I am not interested in PvE (M+ or raid), will this hinder me or make it a longer process?

Thanks for any help.

Why would someone return to this game?

3 Likes

It’s surprisingly mostly PVP.

Low mmr rated for conquest, then lots of battlegrounds for honor to upgrade it.

You’ll get full 200 conduits at 80 renown, then 226 conduits from running around Korthia between battleground queues. 239-252 take 2-3 sittings with reasonable groups in rifts, although can probably be skipped.

Torghast can be run infinitely for Ash/Cinders, but ideally you just have a big buddy help you with 5-6 clears of layer 12 or something as you won’t have any research.

Very helpful, thanks…

Oh believe me, it’s a good advice.

4 Likes

I would probably hold off making any big legendary items, make some small cheap ones for now and see how things go until 9.2 as you might end up wasting some gold for no reason if there is some dynamics about which slot that could change.

Yes, a 190-235 one will save both farming cinders and the gold of a 249-262 one that probably won’t even provide much of a benefit depending on how much they’re planning on playing now.

What are cinders? I had a couple of legendaries in s1 but they would have been ilvl 215 i think?

They are the currency used to make the last ranks added farmed in a few ways (events, higher levels of torghast.)

They added a few layers to Torghast, and the upper ones drop cinders which are required for crafting the maximum item level legendary pieces. They used to be gated to 2 runs of the highest difficulty per week, but now you can run as much as you like, so it’d be…6? Runs for enough to craft a 262 (max ilev) legendary.

So Torghast is even longer? Is it still mandatory beyond those 6 runs?

I think that they made it a little shorter, actually.

Only if you want more legendary items.

Quickest/easiest thing is just having a big buddy drag you through layer 12

It’s faster one layer less now. I would say no, not mandatory. Check your alts too they can send ash over to your main if they have some left over.

1 Like

Thanks lads, this has been helpful since there was no way (I could see at least) in game to work this stuff out quickly.

If you are alone, you can spam 9s over and over again. (That’s new from before.)

9’s are pretty easy even for 200ish ilevel toons these days.

1 Like

It’s pretty self-explanatory actually. You gear for PVP by PVPing. If you look, the adventure guide has a tab that shows Suggested content. You can just tab through that and pick the content most interesting to you.

2 Likes

Bloomsday good to see you troll this forum as well as the TBC classic one…

It is not self-explanatory because I know when I quit the game, following what the adventure guide suggested was very sub-optimal in terms of efficient gearing. Therefore, I did not want to rely on a tool that, in my experience, was wrong.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with asking for current, real time perspective on how to progress in how the game is now; it’s actually smart since you can end up figuring things out that will save time and make it more efficient.

Ask away and ignore the trolls :slight_smile:

1 Like

Legit you are a cancerous growth that must be excised. Reported

4 Likes

It’s shorter as other people have said, only 5 layers and it’s pretty easy to spam. Also spamming BG’s and arena will get you a consistent renown for your covenant as well.

You can also buy conquest boxes for 300 conquest points I think that give a random piece of gear. This is useful if you have little to no conquest gear yet as they are cheaper than buying the specific pieces straight up but it is possible to get duplicates so don’t go crazy with those.

You can also send soul ash and conquest between characters now if you have any other characters you did stuff on and just want to funnel on that stuff to one character.

1 Like