Community Help Question(Blood): Proper Defensive CD usage

Updated Edit: I’ve answered my own question.

*Note: these inquiries are primarily focused on Mythic Plus/multi-mob scenarios.

So, Brass Tacks.

Should I be overlapping Dancing Rune Weapon and Abomination Limb?

I understand the in general, as a tank, overlapping cooldowns is not the best use of defensive resources as every subsequent cooldown used becomes less effective. I understand the general concept of staggering my defensives, so my question is specifically about DRW and Abomination Limb.

I’m not sure if I am going at it correctly here, but for now since I’m exclusively running with the Superstrain Leggo, I’ve been using DRW and A. Limb together as a package deal.

The only mention I can find to my question in any of the many guides or primers is over at Icyveins(which happens to be the guide I tend to put the least amount of stock in), however, Icyveins clearly states to always pair the 2 cooldowns together when initiating a new pack.

Is this correct?^^ IF so, are there situations where I should be holding one back or using them separate?

The fact that Blood has a very large number of various defensives, between Icebound, Runetap, Vamp. Blood, Lichborne, not to mention Bone and Blood Shield, has also led me to believe that doubling up with Abom. Limb and DRW is the right play…however, I’ve had the lingering question stuck in my craw and figured It wouldn’t hurt to come here to ask the community.

Also, a kind of nextension to the above question; when/if I switch to running with Crimson Rune Leggo would I still want to stack these two cooldowns? With Crimson Rune and Limb both supplying steady Boneshield Charges, wouldn’t it flood you and many go to waste? If so, is it still the correct play to stack them together here?

As a follow-up question, am I executing the basic opening priority correctly here, assuming no major cooldowns are available:

Death and Decay>Rune Tap(when entering a pack w zero Bone Shield Charges)>Marrowrend>Blood Boil>Heart Strike>Marrowrend>Bloodboil>etcetera.

I’ve found this(or something relatively close) to be my best bet to both initiate aggro while also getting Bone Shield stacks up asap. Although sometimes(even when marking mobs) I will still lose threat on a particular mob for a brief second…which can mess me up and cause me to need to react via Taunt/Deathgrip/etc, instead of ramping my Boneshield charges. Basically, it feels like Blood in particular has a kinda difficult time getting that initial team going. Or is it just me?

Obviously with Abomination Limb and/or Dancing Rune Weapon it’s a bit more straightforward.

Do other Blood DKs have occasional issues with the initial opening with losing a lone mob or so often? If so, is it due to gear gap? My DK is a mere baby.

Anyways, any advice on this opening sequence would be appreciated as well.

So far, I feel really comfortable with DK and it’s quickly becoming not just my favorite spec but with both Uholy and Frost being so amazing, it is becoming my favorite class as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you feel like leaving. I appreciate you all and wish everyone well in their adventures, both in game, and out.

I don’t pair them just to pair them, but I’m consistently using them together when they are both up. I use the DRW leggo, I didn’t really like superstrain when I tried it.

Speaking from m+ perspective purely, almost every dungeon I start the first pull with DRW + Slappy Clappy and i just keep pulling so boneshield never falls off. I’m the event that it must (like a long skip or RP like on ToP, you’ll usually have DRW back before you need to pull again.

I don’t consider Slappy Clappy a defensive cooldown, and I pretty much use it on CD for damage. DK damage is already pretty terrible, and it helps mitigate that a little.

The worst feeling for DK is starting a pull with no boneshield and no DRW. It mega danger and you’ll struggle with threat with only 2 BB for damage. It’s imperative that you remain above 5 charges for ossuary so that you don’t fall behind in RP. RP is life.

Speaking of that, there are 3 situations where you press Rune Tap. You are kiting (out of melee range) and you are rune capped, or you will from the next tank buster, or you are under a mortal strike effect. Any other time, the RP from heart strike is worth more in mitigation via RP for DS. You kind of get a feeling for it after a while.

Thanks for sharing!

The main reason I brought it up is because DRW and Abom Limb are both 2 minute cooldowns so it’s generally a none issue to keep them synced.

Of course, now that I think about it this changes with Crimson Fine Leggo.

I haven’t used Crimson Rune, therefore haven’t though about it but assuming I’m using Crimson Rune Leggo they are gunna become de-synced anyways.

In that case, yeah, better just to use them separately as they come up/as needed since they both give you Bone Shield Charges.

Thanks for sharing, your insight helped me further reason an answer to my original question.

1)With SuperStrain Leggo-might as well keep the two cooldowns synced.

1. With Crimson Rune Leggo use them separately since they will become de-synced anyways.

Thanks!

I do like Kaemane. I don’t use AL as a defensive. I use it as an opener on big pulls if its up. The BS that you get in my mind is just gravy.

I bounce between SS and CRW for my leggo.

Aww, buddy, I like you, too <3

1 Like