Community Council discussion on Hunter design

Simple plug for returning pet specs. Maybe each family of pets has two choices; for example let clefthoof choose ferocity or tenacity, but not cunning because that makes sense. Hyena cunning or ferocity but not tenacity, etc.

Long shot, but it would be lore friendly while offering more customization/personalization.

This is just my opinion, but I think they went too far in defining the pet’s “nature” (setting it in stone)… instead its type should be something that’s trainable.

3 Likes

I finally got home — I’ve been gone from home nearly a month! Things happened with my family (not bad, but certainly Things) that put my plans upside-down.

I’m eager to jump back in. I’m just wondering which would be more effective: Refer to various feedback threads/posts on here in the DF alpha thread, or make a thread on the CC about the class design and spec designs of the Hunter class.

Hmm… thoughts, guys? I would prefer to focus on one or other.

3 Likes

Existing threads woukd be fine. Id just focus on the last 5-10 days of responses since the talents have been updated weekly since the initial reveal. Welcome back Watermist.

1 Like

Posting in the DF alpha thread is your best bet, in my opinion. It seems to be closely monitored by Nimox, and he has been responding to feedback there.

You’ll see in browsing that thread and other threads here that one of the most pressing issues is the current lack of defensives and utility in the class tree. Just note that Nimox mentioned a while ago that there are larger discussions about this issue, which makes me cautiously optimistic that though we haven’t seen any improvements on that just yet, we will see some progress on this front when the team decides across all classes and specs what they think the balance of defensives and utility should be. It is definitely a bell that should continue to be rung, but I mention it just to give you the full picture.

3 Likes

Good to have you back Watermist! You have been missed. Hope everything is well with your family things.

As for what to do now. I agree with Kakaroth. Browse through the Hunter forums for Dragonflight Hunter Talents and pick up on some of the good ideas and then get active in the Dragonflight Alpha Forum. We need to more voices in front of the Developers communicating what we would like to see happening in the talents. Personally I am invested in the Survival Hunter Talent Tree’s. I and many others have put out some really good feedback for it, but I don’t see much of that being relayed to the Alpha Forums. Heres a video, google doc, and forum post I put out for Survival.

ttps://youtu.be/gHkSw9D0FvY

ttps://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ZFMM7hFu9w5Q2neSkWBkf6ST3BSt_QZEqTpogh3xMfg/edit

ttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/dragonflight-survival-hunter-talent-tree-v13/1292024

I’d get in there myself and wear them down but I don’t have the Alpha lol.
Once again. Good to have you back Watermist.

Hi Watermist.
Best source for BM interactions {IMHO} are Ghorak’s posts He has a Good grip on Whats good and whats not good.

Except it’s not. There is no way to put RSV into MM and get RSV out of it. What you’ll get is a hybrid of the two. A hybrid RSV doesn’t want and MM doesn’t want and doesn’t want to make room for.

A Sharpshooter with a little bit of machine gunner, does not mix with utilitarian munitions expert. Those are two completely separate fantasies.

And then lies the problem of say by some miracle Blizzard could get it to work. What happens when RSV is the meta. How pissed off do you think MM players are going to be when the best way to play their spec is to play the version of the spec that isn’t what they want to play but instead something that was shoe horned in because Blizzard deleted it in the 1st place?

Long and short of it is, RSV doesn’t belong in MM.

8 Likes

When you put it like that, it really comes across how bad it is.

3 Likes

An idea I had for a defensive choice node…

Improved Aspect of the Turtle

Choice#1 - You can now attack while Aspect of the Turtle is active. (if too OP add: (but duration is reduced by 2 seconds)) (aimed towards PvE)
Choice#2 - While in aspect of the turtle, you heal for X amount and reflect X amount of damage. (aimed towards PvP)

That would allow a choice of going defensive or offensive depending in your playstyle or situation.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting option for PvP, although honestly, I’d really enjoy some reduction on the Disengage CD and more knockbacks (one more) :slight_smile: Stick Disengage into Born to Be Wild with the other abilities - done.

survival dosent need to be ranged why would u want 3 ranged hunter specs???

1 Like

They can add it(old RSV) back in as a 4th spec. NP.

Personally, I don’t want it back “because I want 3 ranged hunter specs”. I want it back because I want access to the playstyle it provided. Preferably, a more developed modern version with the same depth as all other specs got in Legion.

4 Likes

Why would MM hunters be pissed ?
Doesn’t change much from the era where going from MM to SV was about a free swap and 3 buttons replacement.

All you really need to bring it back rn is replacing ES with serpent spread in the general tree, slash Aimed Shot with old ES and add Black Arrow below L&L…

“Why would they be pissed” <proceeds with a snide and obnoxious revisionism about how MM and SV were the same>

Here’s a thought: they weren’t the same, and chopping up MM by making core iconic elements optional just to cram in a watered down and utterly insufficient ranged SV substitute just to preserve melee SV is an absurdly slanted and unfair “compromise” to the point where it can’t even be called that anymore. That’s what pisses MM Hunters off. Again ranged Hunters have to make all the concessions and accommodations so melee SV gets to keep everything.

Cramming ranged SV into MM has always been a terrible option and anyone still suggesting it is doing so out of ignorance and/or dismissal. What people want is MM and SV representing to distinct approaches to ranged weapon combat so that archetype is actually well-represented in WoW. With separate specs doing that you can create an entirely separate tree and toolkit for each approach which gives great representation and customisation for ranged weapon archetypes. When you cram them in one spec, you spend all your talents deciding on whether you’re “OG MM” or “OG SV” and your ability to build on each one of those distinct archetypes is severely hamstrung… all so we can tack on yet another melee spec in a game overflowing with melee specs.

The argument that this game can only support 1 spec focused on ranged weapons (+ 1 more if you add pets) is one of the pissiest of piss takes given the game already has like 6 different approaches to “physical melee weapon user”. I understand that there’s a contingent of WoW players who believe it’s impossible for a spec to be fun and interesting if it’s not melee, and that this contingent probably includes most of the class design team, but many people find ranged weapons fun and interesting and it would be nice if they had the representation they used to.

“But what about melee SV players, you don’t want to take their spec away just like yours was!” To be honest, I don’t care much because it’s such a niche concept that pretending that it would be “just as bad” is a farce. However, I’ve always been in favour of having a talented melee option within BM to support that playstyle for melee Hunter roleplayers. After all, Lord knows most of what SV does is just rip off BM anyway so at least with this approach we wouldn’t have BM’s identity being pulled out from under it by a different spec.

13 Likes

“Why would you want all Hunter specs to be ranged when you can functionally handicap one of them just for the hell of it” - Your brain on Melee

Survival certainly didn’t need to be melee, so your post is kind of pointless, isn’t it?

8 Likes

no less pointless than your ceaseless goat bleating. you can write as many paragraphs of text as you want if that’s how you choose to cope. it’s never going to bring back ranged survival.

3 Likes

Whenever I see you post something I always know i will get a good laugh!

Thank you Bepples, I needed it on this friday afternoon.

4 Likes

This by far. The specs are looking like a gigantic mess in DF and there needs some focus on that IMO. From the lack of anything new and the missing defensive/utility that we need to maintain a raid slot to the general feeling of being less than we are now.

Good to habe you back. I think i can keep it into a nutshell for you.

1. BM tree looks ok, some adjustments are still needed.
  2. MM needs adjustments, talent movements, overall not as complete as BM.
  3. Surv is a complete trashcan still. Needs tons of work still. Blizz has made adjustments, although it seems like they are more or less them throwing ideas at the wall.
    The major issues with surv are their horrible capstones, the “aoe” side (left side) is a mesh of irreverent dead talents and question marks short of the whopping 4 decent bomb talents, theres no build directions or overall spec identity. Bomb side has no bomb capstone. Blizz continued to push surv into bm 2.0 with tons of KC talents, and some weird execute spec that has no fluidity.

Then, obviously, hunters in general need better defensives and self-healing. There is a god awful avoidance talent in the generic tree that i just cant seem to understand why. Nesingwary’s is still there with steel trap sticking out like a sore thumb when no one wants it on the tree at all. If you have a pet, you go predator, mm: go ES/SS. No one wants Nesingwary’s.

Finally, i STILL cant wrap my head around the ugly reality how blizz took our BASIC spells like SS and ES and made them 3rd tier level choices. Like, every other class has all their basic talents on top.

Lastely, there is NOTHING to be excited about for all the hunter trees.

11 Likes