Collector's Edition Pets

Who cares if people in classic have cosmetics they paid for back in vanilla. This is why we can’t have nice things.

4 Likes

In vanilla and TBC, CE pets were soulbound. You got a message in your mail when you created a character, and you got to choose one of the three pets, and it got mailed to your character as a soulbound item. The deal was that every character on your CE account, for any future version of WoW, would be able to get one CE pet.

Murky was obtained from a card BlizzCon 2005 gave attendees. You went to a guy in Ironforge or Orgrimmar, entered the code from the card, and got a soulbound Murky for that character and that character only: the code was single-use.

I understand they changed both of those with subsequent BlizzCon pets and expansions, but that’s how it was in vanilla and TBC.

Since my original account is a CE account, I’m not surprised that I’ll be getting CE pets on new characters created in Classic. I don’t expect to get a new Murky, since I turned that code in on my main back in the day. Blizzard could sell a new Collector’s Edition, or hand out more Murky codes at some future BlizzCon or other event, of course. Or just give everybody their choice of CE pet and a Murky, just like Oprah. They’re cosmetic/novelty items, so I don’t really care all that much.

This is great news. I’m very happy to hear it and I look forward to exploring Azeroth with my mini Diablo!

1 Like

Is there any way to get the CE pets in Classic without the original collectors edition? The whole reason I was hyped for Classic since the announcement was that it would be a do-over and I would be able to get and enjoy certain things I missed by joining late. It would be very disappointing to find out there is something that is unobtainable before the game even launches.

1 Like

This thread is a perfect example of todays gamer culture. Outrage over a stupid pet.

3 Likes

This is a perfect example of the internet today - people saying that they feel superior to others.

2 Likes

can u talk to them about re-selling digital collectors editions of classic for those of us who missed out on the original collectors??

1 Like

There was a certain high end “Gamer” Laptop sold during TBC time-frame that also included the Vanilla CE pets, but as I recall, Blizzard received a fair bit of blowback on that one. It didn’t stop the promotion outright, but it didn’t last for very long after that either, and they’ve never done anything like that since.

i know i feel like i was the spark of all this too, so many people were upset when kavix told me i would be seeing my mini diablo , or a zergling, or a panda, when i loggedi n ffs i bought the CE i own it, it was a part of MY vanilla experience. people are just butt hurt they didnt get it and want a reason to be able to get it now or just to see those of use who were big fans from day one suffer without :<

3 Likes

im sorry you missed out but i feel like if you want it you gotta go to ebay and pay the price for not having getting it back in 04 like the rest of us who did buy it back in 04… if they reseold a digital edition of what i bought for it would make the CE pets so undervalued and much less rare, i want it to be a trophy my diablo walking along side me into molten core… sitting with my by a fire… i dont wanna see 50 people run by with the pet because blizzard said oh here you go you missed out have a 25$ pet…i wanna be able to recognize that if someone has one of these pets that THEY too paid the price in 04 ( granted some will go to ebay and do it as i stated above) and i’ll be able to spark up a convo about their memories of said pet as well as ask about their vanilla days, not that i wont be asking many people that to begin with but not everyone i come across will have played back then so many may not have stories to share.

i pre-ordered collectors edition from best buy. when i went to pick it up they said they sold out at the midnight release but they would give me 10$ towards a normal edition since i had my receipt. i was just a kid at the time and my parents were paying. no one cared and no one knew how big it would be to have a collectors or i would of tried to make a big deal out of it at the time. but ya its my fault and i should be punished for it, right?

2 Likes

Why exactly is it a bad idea? These pets were in the original game and VERY few people have them.
There is absolutely no downside to this apart from jealousy.

4 Likes

Not to stir the pot…well, maybe just a little…I’d like to see them issue Digital Deluxe Item Packs for each expansion. I’d pay for it. I’m sure others would as well. I realize that it would completely tank the 3rd party market. It would pretty much be guaranteed to piss off all of the original CE owners as well but Vanilla CE was pretty limited so I’m guess that it would only be a minority of subs screaming.

1 Like

My only real issue with this is back in 2004 if you were coming in fresh you had the option of buying this stuff, but now Blizzard is essentially re-releasing the game to a new audience who don’t realistically get that option, but do have to see the vanilla players being elitist about it and essentially launch the game with unobtainable content.

Sure I can see why you wouldn’t want to give it out to everyone again to have it in retail and kill its rarity, but if you are adding it to classic, you should probably add the mechanics to obtain it in a fair way for classic wow only. A classic CE would be an easy way, even if that means a digital copy which costs comparatively the same as the physical copy did back in the day even though you don’t get the physical merch. At least then classic starts on a fair level.

Otherwise keep it as a separate game as everyone expected. I mean damn people already did the mount quests, why shouldn’t they have the mounts already in classic etc etc… I mean draw a line but damn it’s cold to say go spend $8000 or you’ll miss out in a new release.

2 Likes

lifes not fair mate. oh well.

1 Like

You can see the prestige/rarity in live. This is a different release where we aren’t sharing everything, we get to start over on a level playing field for nostalgia, except now we don’t because some people get to start with shiny things most people can’t/wont afford. If they add them to classic, they should add the collection mechanism, and $8000 is a far cry from buying a CE in 04. Definitely shouldn’t be adding them to retail.

yeep. seeing a lot of salt for having the CE…oh well

1 Like

im salty because of all the hate ive gotten in game and here for standing up for my CE pets. people choose to ignore that it has special meaning to those of us who have them. seeing people who could just go and do xyz to get them in the relaunch of classic would take away from the rarity and experiences had. if i ran across random player A and seen they have a panda cub following them and i stopped and asked oh wow cool! which of the pets was your favorite when you first started playing wow way back in the day, and i got a reply oh i just did XYZ and this was my reward… that is changing classic. this is a re release of classic similar to a museum piece giving people these pets that didnt get CE would make it un authentic. and to show im not trying to create salt, ill delete said posts and leave this in its place. im not comming back im not gonna sit here and be berated by people who just wanna suck the joy of a game i hold dear in my heart.

1 Like

Well that’s fine, but you have those pets already in bfa, and you can do that there anyway. If someone said I bought the “Classic CE” that’s no different from saying back in 04 I bought the “CE”. The “oh back in 2004 I did this thing in a previous game version…” is an experience that didn’t exist back in vanilla, that’s actually a change you now get to have, a new prestige thing.

I bought the CE back in the day—not to be exclusive, but just to get the extra stuff.

That said, the deal I was given with the CE pets was that my new characters would each get one, in all future versions of WoW. And Classic is a version of WoW, so I think Blizzard did the right thing on that count. It’s just half of what they should be doing; the other half being to offer a Classic CE.

I’d be all for that, and would have no problem at all with everybody running around with one of those pets, so long as they’re there. 'Cause literally all I did to get them was to get to Fry’s early on launch day and pay extra for the game. (I still remember walking up to the display and being disappointed to see no CE boxes on the top shelf, thinking they’d sold out already They just hadn’t even begun putting them up yet! I think I was the 3rd or 4th person they put the CE box directly into the hands of.)

1 Like