Coalition guild forced rename by mass reporting

We heavily suspect some of the toxic guilds on our server mass reported a sister guild in our coalition. We submitted tickets about it in the game because the guild name was not even close to offensive or breaking ToS.

Is this the right place to discuss it and get it rectified/investigated? The community is so bad on so many WoW classic servers, but Blizzard’s lack of GM activity certainly adds to the massive amount of toxicity.

Does anyone have another way we can contact Blizzard to get it investigated? We can’t let this be the norm where a guild can grief another by forcing a rename by mass reporting. Yes, though Blizzard tries to deny that it happens, we have all seen evidence that it does in fact happen.

The Guild Master can file a ticket to have it reviewed but nothing can be done here. This is a customer supporting customers forum with some lovely SFAs who may chime in here or there as they feel is needed.

And just because it does crop up in a similar fashion, just because you might not think the name offensive? It could be legitimate complaints and not just some ideal of mass reporting. You don’t have the logs so there is no way to say which way it went, and you cannot say what is offensive to others just as no one can speak for you on what would bother you.

5 Likes

No.

There is no other way besides the GM appealing via ticket. An appeal will have a fresh set of eyes look over things. Which will then either be overturned or upheld. It’s not a way to plead a case.

Thing is though, this isn’t an automated system (contrary to popular mistake belief).

It is reviewed by a Blizzard employee who will either force a name change, or not.

Interesting.

5 Likes

I’ve seen lots of people get mass reported and kicked offline and muted. That’s not reviewed. The system is automated in certain cases and not others, and Blizzard denying that it is automated at all is a lie.

The guild name was not offensive. I’m not going to draw more attention to their case by stating their name, but it’s definitely BS that it was changed. I can assure you it wasn’t an offensive name at all.

That is called a Squelch. Yes, that is automated. Blizzard has stated and confirmed this countless times.

What follows after that is a GM review, with either a penalty applied or it’s overturned. That is the actual silence penalty which is not automated. Blizzard has also stated this and confirmed this countless times too.

No, it’s all about ignorance over how the system works.

10 Likes

So you believe it to be, but it could very well be offensive to enough people to get it changed. The whole kicked off and squelched thing is kind of moot here since it wasn’t the entirety of the guild being silenced - it was a forced name change. Those are looked at and not automated. It takes so many reports, and no one really knows the benchmark required. But still, the answer stands. Only your Guild leader can submit a ticket asking for another set of eyes to look over the change. I would advise the rest of you not bombard the system because only that one person can do anything about it as the owner of the guild.

4 Likes

To be clear, that a guild received a massive amount of reports or not is not actually relevant to if the name is changed. Only a review of that name, by a Game Master, results in the name being changed.

Contrary to whatever narrative others might be trying to sell.

I’m not entirely certain what you mean by that. Game Master’s aren’t active on realms. They reply to tickets and reports, it is how that has worked since launch.

Which is it? Kicked off or muted? Because you are describing two entirely different penalty systems for different types of violations. Being muted, also called squelched, has an automated element to it that helps to curb advertisement and other illicit chat spam. That is intended.

Kicked off, tends to indicate a suspension which can be from other violations, though not chat. It can include naming violations for repeat offenses. Again, any name reported is reviewed by a Game Master. Keep in mind, names that have been previously reported and reviewed go into a list that any additional reports are compared against so that additional names, that have already been deemed inappropriate, are addressed extremely fast.

As for the name of the guild, the only one that can appeal is the guild leader. Your ticket will be met with the same advice.

I should note, that given the nature of the name, I don’t know how likely that is for the name to be reverted. While not obviously inappropriate, I don’t know how appropriate it is for the game given the nature of it.

Now the guild you appear to be in, that is a little more obviously inappropriate and I’m surprised it hasn’t been changed yet. That is not my role, but I’d encourage the guild leader to self report to provide some better naming options.

Since any discussion would likely lead to conjecture about the various names I think it would be best to close this thread. Thanks, all.

16 Likes