Classic WoW microstuttering

Hello, running the game in an i7 9700f gtx 3080, and being classic WoW neither of these components put much work into maintaining 140+fps solid, however every now and then and seemingly completely randomly ill get a very small hitch and lose 2 or 3 frames.

Is there a reason for this I’m not seeing? I have followed every guide to try and fix it, but all of them seem to have much worse and constant stutters that aim to be fixed.

Its not game breaking in the slightest but it gets under my skin. I notice that when the hitch occurs GPU usage drops, and CPU usage spikes.

Temps are ice cold. What gives? Addons effect nothing, and neither does dropping graphical settings.

Hi Behrim

You might try a Selective Startup:

Closing Background Applications - Blizzard Support (battle.net)

Can you drop a DXDiag system report on the thread as well.

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion at the end of this example link: https://pastebin.com/Qk28Ed1P <=== this code)

Alternately you can place the link in a Preformatted Text box. Paste the link in the chatbox - then highlight it. Click the preformatted text button along the top of the chatbox - looks like this </>

Will look like this example afterwards:

https://pastebin.com/xxxxxxxx

I’m off forum for awhile. I will check this thread later.

Thanks for the response however I may have fixed the issue. It seems like Gsync was the culprit and that it was not working as intended on the Classic client. Disabling Gsync has made the problem disappear, and my game looks to be smoother than ever.

In your nvidia control panel, what is your g-sync set to? By default, it’s set to only apply to fullscreen mode. You can change it to fullscreen+windowed. It’s been a long while since I’ve logged into classic, but I think it’s like the modern client where it only runs in fullscreen windowed mode.

Yes I made sure to have it set up properly. Also now I only occasionally get little frame dips. The problem isn’t fixed entirely. I may be overly sensitive to this.

What kind of vsync settings are you using? Like for me, I run gsync+vsync on+low latency on in the nvidia control panel and disable vsync in WoW. Game stays in the 90-144fps range and never goes below that. Pretty much never have any microstuttering ever and I’m extremely sensitive to it.

Also, what kind of addons are you using? There could be one that’s choking out the CPU for a frame or two. Try disabling all of them and doing a full UI reset.

But before playing with any of that, as Tratt asked, we need a dxdiag report to truly know more about your system. It could be a bad driver, could be a bad mouse program, etc etc.

Here is my information.

------------------System Information------------------ Time of this r - Pastebin.com

Crashes from the peripheral software could be causing this.

Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: RzSynapse.exe

Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: GameManagerService.exe

There are also several RAM usage errors, so it might be time to shut down a lot of background apps.

Disabling all peripheral software did nothing to fix the issue.

RAM test comes out clean, and all background tasks that aren’t essential to windows 10 functionality are disabled. Classic WoW and every other game I test on all have microstutters. RTSS on or off makes no difference.

Any other suggestions?

So it’s affecting everything on your computer? If so, that sounds like something beyond the scope of support here.

Unfortunately, yes. I hadn’t realized that until I tested another game. Unless it is a fluke with the specific other game I tested.

What about HWMonitor? Tried that yet?

Yes, I have it installed and I use it to monitor Vram Temps mostly. What else could this bit of software show me?

It can monitor max temps and usage across the whole machine.

Max Temps and usage are relatively average As I’ve stated, however, these drops lead to a short spike in cpu usage, and a drop in gpu usage.

4 to 5 percent each respectively. Classic doesn’t hardly turn the gpu fans on. Sub 40c on both components the whole time.

Sounds like they may stop responding to commands from Windows for a moment and then pick back up.

Did you play while running it? What Temps were you seeing?

Every temperature I have monitored had been well in line with what it should be, including intra silicone Vram Temps (possible to monitor courtesy of nvidias latest cards).

My last remaining hunch is MSI afterburner itself causing these hitches. I plan on doing extensive testing on multiple games tomorrow, but I have to admit, I’m getting exhausted.

Yeah, I’ve seen MSI’s apps throw errors for lots of systems. Wouldn’t hurt to test without it.

Still no luck after a factory reset. Tested all other applications on and off. Peripherals require synapse anyway…

Idk what else to do, it’s killing my experience.

That’s true, but the version currently being used is malfunctioning and reporting crashes on its own. I recommend fixing that before moving on to other steps.