Classic WoW: How will you roleplay?

Pre-Cata Brill RP yes plz

5 Likes

Incoherent sobbing

Also, roleplay with the understanding that there are at least 5 rogues stealthed around you at any given time and put in your TRP what is in your pockets to avoid them grabbing just your lame-o wallet. How embarrassing would it be to not have anything for them to grab after the first rogue? For no other reason really then I feel like the rogue population might actually explode in Classic(not a bad thing imo).

I’m gonna roll a character separate from my canon. Or at least that’s the plan right now.

The same way I always roleplay.

Poorly.

I have a very strong desire to create a gnome mage and roleplay her as a tavernkeep in the Park. I’ll buy my own alcohol stock and have people pay real silver for their orders. Just like old times! :grin: :joy:

4 Likes

Dew it.
10 char

1 Like

These are really nice suggestions. What I’m mostly reading is that people are going to roleplay their Classic toons to setup their Live main.
I think we can all agree that no one’s character should know what a draenei or monk or Yogg-Saron is during the Vanilla era.
An AU idea was a possibility for my shaman, but I much prefer playing a warlock considering that class has some nice quests.
Sarestha sets up what exactly Classic will be to players who never played that version of the game; I only played Vanilla through private servers.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what I’ll do specifically, but it will be nice to have a character in, y’know… simpler times. A Night Elf who doesn’t need to react to being a genocide victim. An Orc who doesn’t need to be anything darker than an honorable Thrall fanboy. A soldier with a boring guard posting rather than a battle-scarred veteran of five dozen world-ending catastrophes.

It will be a nice change of pace.

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting Find Treasure back and getting in lots of trouble as a result.

2 Likes

Planning on RPing my Mag’har’s MU version. Can’t wait to kill him off in AV.

One idea I entertained was having an alternate version of my Worgen Mage character, Rosyllyn; since I likely won’t be able to remake Phontine. Beyond that I didn’t have many ideas.

Some of my other characters might be suitable but frankly I haven’t actually thought much about it.

With all the faults and flaws of Classic, I am looking forward to RPing there.

I will certainly be using the peculiar, time-woppity-boppity opportunity to play through and evolve the backstory of a couple characters. A bit dairy-heavy, perhaps – but who doesn’t enjoy an AU, or a good prequel of characters they already enjoy? My primary goal is to explore the life of Moknaag before he was risen, and hopefully enrich his story in the ‘present’ because of it. He fell in Naxxramas, when it first laid over the Eastern Plaguelands – so I am excited to experience the procedural roll-out of Classic content and have a definitive book-end to his ‘Classic’ (*living) story.

Just as with the game content of Classic, I plan on taking RP slowly. Perhaps it is a pipe-dream, but I have a hope that given the slower pace of gameplay and the emphasis on the levelling experience/world, there will be a bloom of world RP. I am certain it wont last entirely, but maybe some of those fond memories of spontaneous RP when you bump into someone on the same quest will happen. Essentially, I want to whack quillboars in-character with people. Let us converse as we gather up fourteen-hundred bear asses.

I think there is a strong case to be made for the joy of a simpler world. Obviously nostalgia will power-dive all over any sentiment for Classic WoW, and we all know how the universe progresses after. But I have an optimism that those who do choose to RP in it (either in guilds and concentrated arcs, or in freeform world experiences) will build some really tremendous, down-to-earth stories.

2 Likes

Honestly, Classic to me will be a minigame. I’ll play it, but there’s too much content, especially coming in 8.2, to want to favor Classic over normal servers.

I do look forward to playing some of the old classes, with classic race combinations. Orc shaman, undead priest. I’ll probably remake the nelf hunter I used to play on my babysitter’s laptop when I was like 7 lol

1 Like

Mahuea: Probably still in Zangarmarsh. Chilling. Wondering what all the Draenei currently invading the Exodar are doing.

Baz’ila: Probably in Sen’jin village being a witch doctor. Hexin’ poor souls, but then realizing that hex isn’t available in Vanilla. Probably on occasion venturing out to Stranglethorn to “give da good stuff” to Alliance in the form of frost shocks.

Victoria: Still in Gilneas, probably. Not yet captured by Arugal to become a Worgen. And definitely not a mangy mutt yet. She’s a houndskeeper.

Shelly: Punching people in Kul Tiras, but because Kul Tiras is nowhere to be seen at the moment, she’s just punching people in the face in the hidden land of the Kul Tirans.

Out of all my characters, I’m probably just going to end up going Horde. Mostly because none of the Alliance races in vanilla interest me. And I do love me some troll lore.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to roleplaying a simple adventurer. Especially now that the world will be drastically less fragmented and you can more easily interact with the setting.

No more phasing. No more zones with outdated histories, like Booty Bay still being wrecked or the Barrens with Kor’Kron villains running around or basically all of Stonetalon Mountains.

I’m also looking forward to being regarded as an adventurer again. I’ve felt completely disconnected from nearly every quest since WoD because I have no interest in roleplaying some big commander general type.

Overall, I’m excited to see things become a little simpler.

8 Likes

My exact sentiment.

I have always adored the setting of WarCraft as it was, overreliance on archetypes and all. Having missed the opportunity to thoroughly explore WoW before the arrival of Cata, I am excited by the possibility of experiencing Azeroth as it was envisioned during Reign of Chaos. Without a doubt, I will be roleplaying an adventurer or explorer purely for the enjoyment of being out in the world when it was relatively peaceful.

Just think of the wonderful locations we can visit again! Ashenvale in its pristine state, untouched Azshara, Auberdine, the Loch Modan Dam, that one Darkshore digsite overrun with murlocs, less bad Badlands, the Park, pre-industrial Orgrimmar, abusing levitate to reach Shatterspear Vale, Barrens Chat!

I know these all seem like novelties, but they were locations that exemplified WarCraft’s setting as a place of mystery, pockets of wonder scattered all over the world. They were distinct locations with their own stories and importance, not a stepping stone for some grandiose existential threat.

First chance I get I am going to hangout with Gubber Blump, fall off the Auberdine dock, and help that night elf heal his daughter by collecting Tears of Elune.

5 Likes

Auberdine is going to hit me the hardest with nostalgia. I can still remember my brother and I getting off the boat from Teldrassil after buying the game and really starting our adventure. The idea of a massively multiplayer game like that at the time just blew our minds.

Nostalgia aside, I am excited and happy to have zones that are untouched again. Exploring through Ashenvale right now means a LOT of hand-waving things away.

And you’re right, the zones felt more mysterious back then. Partly because the Cata revamp connected each zone more to one or two large overarching stories.

And this one is probably less relatable for most people, but I’m happy to remove flying. I think it makes the world feel massively smaller and it’s so much easier to disconnect yourself from it when you can just fly over everything.

Part of the mystery you feel from pre-cata zones was often attributed to rarely having a bird’s eye view of… everything.

I think ground mounts are also less annoying in pre-cata zones compared to recent expansions because things weren’t so packed tight with mobs.

Things were slightly more spread out, compared to say, any legion or bfa zone, where everything is so darn densely packed with stuff. I miss the openness of the shimmering flats.

4 Likes

Seeing as pretty much all my main characters have not been vanilla races, I’m probably going to go with new ones. Definitely going to have an elf planted at the Stormwind moon well and a forsaken lounging around the Brill tavern for old time’s sake.

1 Like

RP-ing Jakko’s angsty teenage years should be a hoot. He was such an insufferable little brat back then.

“Wah, wah, my girlfriend died.”

…What? It was 2005. Everyone’s girlfriend was dead in fiction-land.

2 Likes

Classic endgame probably isn’t in the cards for me, but I am definitely leveling high enough to revisit that zone. It was so wild and mysterious and dangerous, with weird little things to find if you were brave enough to wander.

On the whole I was glad that Cata made some of the mega story quests more accessible - Blasted Lands maybe being the best example - but what they did with the Relic of Zin-Malor was such a whiff. I’ll love doing that chain again (though the travel time not so much, probably).

3 Likes