Classic tbc with retail graphics

yea i know blizzard is in a pickle now but how would you all feel if they relaunch classic starting with vanilla with up to date retail graphics? i mean keep the rule sets the same and all but just have modern graphics?

i know one of the reasons they just relaunched the game is pretty much they didnt have to do anything… they just had the old files copied but to maybe actually redo classic with retail graphics they would have to do a bit of WORK and CODING… god forbid…

2 Likes

they already tried that with wc3 reforged 5head

2 Likes

:laughing:

yea your right, i just like flying around TBC in retail to admire the pretty graphics and what we could have had as long with the updated player models. of course they would have to code alot of the stuff to be actually vanilla and would probably take some work. i see all the pet battle things everywhere too hah

1 Like

Retail’s graphics and character animations are horrible.

The cartoony aspect of the original game art is really fitting.

Don’t like how it looks?

Close your eyes.

10 Likes

If you could toggle between Classic graphics and Retail graphics, sure, as long as running Classic graphics wouldn’t impede your FPS like Retail graphics would. Though, I’m not sure if this would even be possible because I’d imagine that everything would use the updated models, as well, so performance would likely be an issue… and Classic textures would look terrible on Retail models. Hmm… on second thought, I don’t think I’d like for this to be an option, no.

TL;DR: I’m against it.

EDIT: (I personally find Retail graphics, particularly its character graphics, ugly anyway. Retail gnomes freak me out.)

You might want to research the effort they made relaunching this game. Did you realize that they rebuilt the models and did some minor updates on them? The grasses and plant life didnt move when you passed through them on the original game. There is loads more, so no, it wasn’t just a copy paste and launch deal.
Personally I don’t want the new models if they also come with the sound effects. It’s unbearable to play a human female/Draenei melee for instance. The damn things won’t shut up. On casters the spells feel weak to me, it may be due to the casting animations they added.
For the most art, I’d say no thanks to this.

Nelf faces were ruined with the update, then they assured me I could keep using old character models, then they removed that option.

No!

1 Like

A couple sure look crazy, in a creepy way. I actually like the gnome revamp the best. :slightly_smiling_face:
But yea, no new models please. Retail looks like a Disney cartoon now.

1 Like

It’s the eyes, man. The eyes. Retail gnomes remind me of killer dolls from horror movies.

2 Likes

i agree with the gnomes getting borked but i do like the nelf models actually. especially the toned abs and all with canine teeth. i dont mind the blood elf models either

humans… i think the males are better, females maybe a bit wierd

Personally not a fan of the graphics in Retail. They look even worse with the lower polygon and lower resolution textures used for the gear and environment used in Classic.

Fixing that would be a lot of work just to get the incredibly ugly character models. Blizzard doesn’t seem. To me to be interested in putting in something with that much effort into Classic.

1 Like

Retails current character designs don’t mesh well with the gear we have 1-70 in TBC they’d have to re do everything for it to look good. Honestly the models we have aren’t that bad so long as you keep your clothes on and aren’t a dwarf.

Those dwarf faces are something.

yea classic female dwarves are victoria secret super models compared to retail female dwarves

1 Like

I don’t know what female dwarfs look like I only see the males and they all have an angry wrinkled face and very tiny heads.

I fail to see all the fuss about Classic graphics, i rather enjoy the look of everything i see. I do not know what Retail current is like so maybe thats a good thing but us older people can appreciate gameplay plenty more than gfx this gfx that.

Perhaps most of you are spoiled to a degree largely based around how pretty everything must look in order to enjoy yourselves in other departments.

Clearly i have much more to read as i enjoy doing so.

This current blizzard team cannot even get bugs fixed, you think they could remotely overhaul graphics?

1 Like

The most gawdawful avatars are the two retail female Tauren who regularly post on the forums. No way do I want to see that garbage in my TBC.

looks like the consensus so far is no to retail graphics and i find that ok i guess. some people dont like how the player updated models look and i agree on some of them lol

BUT

I WOULDNT mind if they at least increase the view distance a bit. wish there was a mod for that

1 Like

I am totally cool with view distance increase. I feel like that was more a technological limitation than a design decision…although some bits of outland may look a bit raw if they did that.

We already have a hybrid graphics engine.

The water especially. This is a better water engine than the one they eventually implemented in Wrath. The original TBC water looked like Minecraft’s, and that’s not hyperbole, I’m totally serious.

Plus the lighting engine is also 10x better with realistic looking shadows. Those also weren’t present in the original.