♻ Classic "Restart" after Naxxramas, and F R E S H Servers

Yea, it’s such a stupid argument.

I just pick a character and post on it, now I post on “retail” forums with my Classic character.

Doesn’t change the 12 120s I have.

This is pretty much what I’d expect Blizzard to do. The only issue is resolving name conflicts when merging servers. Obviously whoever has had the name longer should get to keep it. An exception could be made if a character is on an account that hasn’t been logged into or had an active subscription for an extended period of time. Say a year or so.

They could basically have a 2 year cycle. Every two years create a few new servers and merge in old ones. Repeat these cycles for vanilla, BC and WotLK. Anything beyond that and you’re probably splitting the player base a bit too much for it to be worth it.

The important things to note though are that classic should never be changed beyond what exists in phase 6 and characters should never be deleted by any means such as a server reset.

Keep Classic classic. #nochanges.

1 Like

Doing the “race” for items/level/gear/mounts/etc. is part of the fun of getting on servers early. Plus in x number of years time if given the option to play an expansion or replay the game people love so much some players would choose to replay. its not really that complicated

1 Like

You came in here and immediately spewed trolling garbage to OP and then without any shred of evidence said there isn’t enough demand, yet there are 38 servers and each one has a decent population. Blizzard themselves stated each server holds far more today than they did in vanilla, and at least 15 are still layered. this is somewhat arbitrary, but I’m sure they hold more than 5,000 so let’s use 5,000 per server. That equates to 265,000 players playing at any time. Drop that to 250,000 because not each server is not full all the time while some are experiencing queues.

Divide that by 3 and presto, you’ve got at least 80,000 people playing at any time on any of the three platforms. 80,000 will drop maybe half each by the time people try it out and leave, so 40k per TBC, Classic, and the fresh servers. Although many less will opt for the fresh servers. Plenty of people will be playing.

So where’s your non troll response? You’ve said literally nothing of substance.

Relax turbo, if you are posting on the classic forums you should be required to use a classic avatar, with the amount of retail trolls around. Never used it as an insult nor trying to win an argument, just how I feel on the subject.

I think it’s you that needs to grow up if this is the first thing you think of.

Are you talking about this quote?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the OP’s proposal is exactly what Blizzard does.

I’m even less surprised that the perspective “why would anyone want to repeat the horrible ordeal of leveling in this old game?” is being promoted exclusively by multiple people posting on level 120 Modern avatars.

7 Likes

I’ve read that the p-servers would reset every couple of years and people would just start over. I can’t imagine doing that. I wonder how many people did it.

I have replayed games I liked. I played through Diablo II and Morrowind and then put them away. A couple of years later I might have more time or be bored and I’ll pick them up again to maybe play a class I didn’t the first time around. I might do that a few times over the years but eventually I’m done with the game. D2 is still a good game but I haven’t picked it up to replay in 10 years.

Classic is a good game. Good enough that I’ll play through it again even though I leveled 5 alts through vanilla. I’ll play Classic, Bc, Wrath. But that will be enough for me. At that point I’m done with the game.

1 Like

Said while hiding behind your Classic alt, hilarious.

Everything you want except opening the gates (which you aren’t going to do anyway) can be done by rolling a new alt. No new server needed.

2 Likes

What does this matter? People complain about, and dislike cross-realm grouping. Is there some sort of grand unity that brings everyone who plays WoW together that is worth holding on to for some reason?

If you say anything about retail you should post on a BfA alt. Why should we listen to anything you say about retail unless you prove you’ve played it.

Not really sure what type of evidence you want me to provide when I say there isn’t enough demand based on not enough players creating threads/forum posts asking for all that the OP was asking for. Scroll through the hundreds or thousands of threads on reddit or here, you might find one maybe two that are asking for the same thing in a bundle that the OP is.

Also, what trolling garbage? All I stated was there wasn’t enough demand. You’re upset that I don’t want something that you do, and you’re taking it pretty personal.

Grow up.

2 Likes

I think classic restart is a bad idea, however maybe they could merge two low pop servers and create a fresh server instead? It kinda ruins the community for those merged servers, but it shouldn’t be any worse than the free server transfers.

I like the idea of new servers, but not the idea of merging or bringing non-new characters to new servers. Doing so doesn’t really seem to solve any problems.

Though, merging low pop servers may solve problems, if they exist.

1 Like

Um, all of the regular population. And yes-- there was very much a long-term, settled, international regular population. When one server’s content was completed, they migrated to the next, fresh server. (Excuse me, F R E S H server. :wink: )

And tbh, I agree with the OP’s idea. I think it’s the safest plan for Blizzard to follow. The second time around, they’d not launch near as many servers for Classic, because the bulk of the population would likely be moving on to TBC. But there will always be enough interest to keep a current server up.

4 Likes

I don’t like servers merges too, but we have to face reality we can’t just keep adding and adding servers. There has to be a merge.

2 Likes

I mean, if it makes sense to merge servers rather than have dead ghost-town servers, I think it’s a good idea.

2 Likes

If Everquest progression servers are anything to go by, the moment you release another set of servers with different sets of rules is the moment the old servers are dead.

2 Likes

They’re going to need to at some point, some of them are pretty low now, where are they going to be 6 months after Naxx when there’s nothing new to look forward to