Classic Paladins

Am i wasting my time leveling one? Are they really needed at 60? And how useful are they when TBC drops?

For healing a tank, they’re great. For dispels, they’re great. For Blessings, they’re great. For anything else, they’re pretty trash outside of very very specific builds and niches in PVP and those aren’t just random yolo things.

For BC, they’re arguably a lot better in a lot of roles. Healing, naturally, but also tanking trash and speedrunning dungeons. You know how spazzes from pirate servers love to speed pull everything and ignore mechanics? Well, prot paladins are amazing at that in BC. Ret is also…Lolret still but less so. It’s a legit spec in PVP if you run with an MS warr and shaman for Windfury yolo crits. It’s definitely useful enough for that and playable if not amazing in PVE for Horde with Seal of Blood.

So yeah if you want to heal, pallies are good to great depending on patch. If you want to tank, they’re amazing for dungeons and trash in BC. If you want to DPS, good luck lol but they’re not THAT bad in BC, especially for Horde. They are trolly but decent in PVP in BC but only in very specific comps that rely a lot on RNG. Very funny if it works though.

Paladins are actually the new meta in classic as tanks.

Since its been descovered they are uncritable and greater blessing of kings when cast does more threay than than every other single ability in classic. And will taunt all bosses from warriors/druids.

They make great tanks.

2 Likes

Unless you’re a belf.

Seal of Blood effectively fixed the spec’s problems in a lot of ways. The self-harming made the mana problem better because of Spiritual Attunement, and it was actually a very good source of damage since IIRC it procced off of Crusader Strike.

Alliance Ret was still a joke tho high key lol

did they give seal of blood to ally too?

When they did it was called Seal of Martyr i am not sure when it was given to alliance. But at first no

wait, when did this happen?

knew about GBoK spam, never heard about them being uncrittable though.

Ok. So uncritible was the wrong word. Uncrushable is what i meant. And its when they block.

gotcha, is that with just holyshield or do you need redoubt up too?

I’ve been lax about keeping up with tank news after my dreams of paladin tanking were crushed by my guild.

I believe thats with both up. But redoubt is up so often it may aswell be passive buff thats in 100% of the time. And timing hold shield for boss abilities is easy.

oof, any healer healing a 100% uptime redoubt must be stressed. Getting crit that often is scary.

Not really because it means you are blocking more and thus are actually taking less dmg. Crits can be blocked too. So as it might sound scary. It actually is not that bad.

And because it is always up you are always blocking. So even being hit by a crit is not bad.

The biggest barrier to paladins being effective tank is that there really wasn’t gear catered to protection paladins in Vanilla since protection threat was based on holy damage done and scaled best with spell damage gear. They also needed +defense/block/parry/dodge on gear. There’s no real way to stack enough spell damage and defensive stats at the same time. Also, mana was a serious problem. If people have found a way around those limitations, more power to them.

1 Like

15 years of prot paladins playing vanilla and figuring out the proper way to play basically means that a properly played prot paladin will not have mana issues.

Seal of wisdom with aura of wisdom (both you should be using as prot) makes your mana gain positive during bosd fights. As well as proper talent set up makes the prot paladin the only tank who can self heal and NOT suffer any spell knockback while tanking.