Classic needs its own guild recruitment forum

If there are class forums for modern, there should be class forums for classic. Moreso, given the number of people who never played the old system prior to the garbage spec system in place now.

I think a not small number of modern players do not realize what a vastly different game classic/vanilla is from bfa.

2 Likes

Once game goes live it definitely does, for now no it doesnt

Having recently played on private server, playing actual vanilla and BC at the time, and just returning to the game after 10 years away (so didnt exp the gradual changes) the game is not massively different. Specs work differently but largely feel the same (except hybrids, the pulled a lot of the hybrid out of them :frowning: ), getting ready for content is less grindy, and until you get past normal difficulty content is easier but the game itself still “feels” the same.

A lot of what is different now is not the game itself but the community is completely different, vanilla had lots of communication and social aspects outside of guild chat that are largely lost now

Hopefully classic can recapture the community

I wouldn’t expect it until they release the server name lists.

I would not expect server name lists until they can answer the simplest question:
Will there be PVE, PVP, RP, RPPVP server types?

Being unwilling to answer the simplest of questions like that is why my ire for blizzard is on a slow boil.

I agree with the OP, we need a recruitment forum. We already have enough recruitment threads in here now, and it’s just going to increase as the days go by. I try not to move my recruitment thread for the Malicious Moogles up to the top to much, but I can see at some point this will be an issue.

Perhaps a temporary fix until they get a separate recruitment forum is a sticky post where you can post recruitment discussions in the comments, maybe links to stand-alone threads with this kind of thing.

Not sure – they also need to re-think this whole rise-to-the-top form of attention seeking that causes people to bump threads to get noticed. There’s got to be a better way… Not that I can think of it off the top of my head. Much smarter people than me when it comes to this sort of thing so I’ll let them suggest an approach.

1 Like

Thing is you cannot bump your own thread unless someone else replies to it first.

The original wow forums were not broken. They should never have sliced it up and sewed it together into this abomination.

2 Likes

I thought there was a way around this, using a different toon to bump than the one who wrote the thread. Or did they close that loophole?

Oh I’m sure you can exploit it like that. But bumping for the sake of bumping is going to piss off more people than attract to a guild. This scrolling catchall of hell is akin to people that put every application shortcut and document on their desktops rather than in orderly folders.

Shortsighted, hipster crap is what we’ve got.
This is more akin to reddit, discord and twitter than a proper forum.

Give me a phpbb with sparing graphics and sensible forum sections.

2 Likes

LOL I love the crotchety old-man “get off my lawn” version of desktop management you got going there. I’m in agreement with you, of course, just find it humorous how you phrased it. :wink:

I mean there is a reason file systems exist on computers and proper filing systems on forums. Blizzard seem to think they are more clever than Woz and Jobs.

Can you point to a forum site that does it well, in your estimation?

Certainly!
https://web.archive.org/web/20080808013348/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=8557297376&sid=1

Wasn’t broke. Should not have been “fixed” by amateurs.

Meh, tbh I never liked the pages. It still had the same bump-to-the-top attention issues we have today. I prefer this way, but I can imagine it’s a nightmare on a mobile device…

ETA: I do like how you can click a quoted part to see the entire quote in context, and trace a conversation backwards. That’s a nice addition to the functionality imo.

Did you notice that when replying to the last one in the thread there is no way of knowing if the reply is to the last person in the thread or a reply to the thread itself?

Lets not forget their inability to define what they are calling “starting zones”

1 Like

Well when it’s a reply to you, you know because of the upper-right hand thingy tells you, but yeah in general it is sometimes difficult to know the difference except in context.

The upper right hand thing does not appear if the post is immediately following the post you are replying to.

This is a reply to your post right above this one.

This one is a thread general reply