⭐ Classic is Definitely not Vanilla

Wasn’t 1.12 the version used on private servers ? The group that started that petition so unless you have evidence to the contrary, yes that was the game being asked for.

Nostalrius was a private World of Warcraft server, which opened on February 28, 2015. The server ran Patch 1.12, catering to aficionados of the early version of the game, nicknamed “Vanilla”.

No one should be able to level to 60 in a week and beat Onyxia within two. That is not in the spirit of origianl WoW. Dungeons should not be a place to power level by aoe-ing everything down with Blizzards and Cleaves. Was more xp added into dungeons than in the earlier game patches? Is our leveling going to be easier with 1.12? None of this can be good for the ultimate health and longevity of Classic. If people can beat the raids within a month, what will keep them coming back? Yes I’ll have alts but if the game isn’t very challenging I will feel less accomplished when I do finally reach my goals.

By stalling progression in ways that discourages power leveling, according to todays Retail standards (i.e. xp increases on quest/dungeons) and other ‘conveniences’ that began in later Vanilla, only then can we properly recreate Classic. Then again, maybe it was these additions that made later Vanilla so popular that we got the rapid subscription rate that didn’t end until Wrath. I for one would rather see Classic go more towards earlier patches than later. I came in Vanilla midway into 2005, and what I’ve heard about the game before that sounded epic. It would be nice to experience it in it’s original form.

4 Likes

Found the Asmon fanboy.

1 Like

No…

The private servers run with a shoe string budget, and a handful of devs. What people wanted was THE classic experience, not A classic experience.

Blizzard choose to give us the most nerfed version of vanilla possible (2.0 is considered BC). And that is a problem. It waters down and trivializes the content.

Private servers data is simply wrong, no one was asking for wrong data. No one ask for 1.12 servers, they asked for classic/vanilla servers. We wanted to experience the content how it was originally, not how it became as they nerfed it. if the game released with 1.0 and advanced over time THAT would be what was asked for.

3 Likes

OP is not talking about adding new challenges, just reverting some things back to pre-nerf patches. Everything that was already and originally in the game at launch or close to it. You wouldn’t be ‘messing with the system’, but in fact reinstating it.

4 Likes

Did you actually read this ?

Also this is releasing tomorrow - you know that right ? This discussion was okay back in March it is extremely silly to have the day before release.

1 Like

no :poop: sherlock

1 Like

You know honestly, as I’m thinking about it, classic is not really a game. It’s an idea. It’s the idea that we can play a game that’s not 100% about reaching endgame and loot boxes and mounts and trying to make the entire world fit into the fewest possible mechanics and, most importantly, preventing people from feeling bad.

It was a game where your story unfolded itself.

The line of successive changes would not have brought about the demand to bring things back to the way they were if done correctly.

Yes, “happiness” is impossible to define, etc., but what I’m saying is that if they had moved forward with the game with the philosophy they started with, there could have been no demand for classic, as the game would just have been 100% explicitly better.

Now, what that means is almost nothing because I haven’t really made any specific requests and the developers and teams and such are not superhuman, but I think that finding out what the essence of classic was, way back then, is the key to reinventing MMO gaming.

– and it’s definitely not building the game to make everyone happy. I know this is a silly example because it’s not based in reality, but remember in the movie The Matrix, where the bad guys told Neo that the world was originally created to make everyone happy? Even the writers of that movie got it and they’re not gamers.

4 Likes

So somehow the validity of this arrangement is predicated on time? Nope… The argument is still valid today, and forever. And maybe one day we will get a true vanilla experience if we continue to ask for it.

6 Likes

You seriously think I mean for this to be implemented before tomorrow? I am not suggesting that in any shape or form. And yes, I did read that, ages ago. All I meant is what should be, not what we actually have in reality. You really need to stop making up things and implying other people’s intentions and think up a few original thoughts of your own.

3 Likes

why not? the end of vanilla people were doing that exact thing, not at launch sure. but we are getting 1.12 end of vanilla not 1.0 launch vanilla. leveling speed was slower in vanilla in general because people did not have 15 years of learning how to play fast if they chose to.

no but over time the xp from dungeons were reduced multiple times to make dungeon farming less effective so compared to say Cata yes classic will have more xp in dungeons, but it is accurate to vanilla.

during classic beta it did show cleave/AoE groups could efficiently level in dungeon farming, as they could in vanilla it was just not widely known. besides players today have vastly more experience in the game, mechanics, play styles etc… nothing we do can erase 15 years of accumulated knowledge.

This isn’t going to work like retail though, where people keep making threads asking for changes and every so often they get it. Sort of like this.

Still - noone is asking for changes :yum:

Nice! I support 100% of this statement.

2 Likes

i feel this! if they had never undone what was the magic of educational adventuring one particle at a time, we would still be playing a world of warcraft as we were. Expansions failed to add new adventures while retaining the aesthetic for which unpredicted MILLIONS gathered.

2 Likes

The exact 1.12 (1.13) that Blizzard is using atm? No.

1.12 as a base though is fine, it is all in the initial post :grin:

I hope it turns out ok because im a purist as well when it comes to Vanilla and so far some of the changes they made just make me cringe. They are micro managing the community already by (cant believe Im about to say this) not even allowing people to do bad things to each other like ninja loot. Once you ninja loot people post it on the forums and no one ever works with you again its like that simple. Its way more fun to have a living breathing community than a one way street we all have to walk down and conform to.

Note I only used one example I dont feel the need to get more ranty than that but I can easily go on about bigger changes that matter more that I’m not happy with.

1 Like

How terrible, they aren’t letting you harass people. Times have changed, laws have changed - blizzard is obligated not to provide a vehicle for you harass people. It would be far easier for them just to let you harass others but those pesky laws…

1 Like

Well put man. That is exactly what lies behind a living and overall thriving community.

If there is no way to be held accountable it diminshes the sense of community.

The private servers run with a shoe string budget, and a handful of devs. What people wanted was THE classic experience, not A classic experience.
Blizzard choose to give us the most nerfed version of vanilla possible (2.0 is considered BC). And that is a problem. It waters down and trivializes the content.

Private servers data is simply wrong, no one was asking for wrong data. No one ask for 1.12 servers, they asked for classic/vanilla servers. We wanted to experience the content how it was originally, not how it became as they nerfed it. if the game released with 1.0 and advanced over time THAT would be what was asked for.

Hell yeah!

1 Like