Classic Hunter Returns?

An old veteran returns…this has been a lot since Pre-BC.

As a hunter who was around since this game started back, 14 years ago…left when a number of mistakes were made. The biggest one being Focus instead of mana.

Now, as someone who played Hunter since I started this game, I’d love to see Hunters return to an actual playable form for me. Focus just doesn’t present an actual rotation that is solid. Two or three shots and I need to let it regenerate, it lowers DPS and can mean the difference between victory or defeat.

Mana was a ton more manageable, especially if you had the rotation down or one of your own build, or several to switch between. Gave the class more depth and more to manage making the class easier because you could change which rotation you were using depending upon what was going on around you.

Direct damage, quick damage? No problem.

Need some DOTs or traps to hold enemies? No problem.

Need to scout ahead (usually if no rogue is in the group)? No problem.

I’m a veteran hunter, ran hunter through Pre-BC, BC, Wrath, and Cata…and quit because there were to many errors and I just couldn’t ignore them anymore. I was a straight MM Hunter, always have been…always will be.

BM just didn’t appeal to my playstyle (not to mention there wasn’t a BM who could beat me back then) and survival…well…best not mention that black sheep.

Wow Classic is a hope that Hunters will be the class I used to enjoy.

Yes, I want the full challenge back…Arrows, Mana/Health Potions, Food to keep pets happy…I want a challenge! I want my pets to attack or run away if they were kept unhappy for extended periods of time.

I want the WoW I used to enjoy…before it all went downhill.

I know some of you…plenty of you will disagree…and thats fine. Just means you don’t want the original challenge of what being a hunter actually was. I do…I want to actually have a reason to play this game again.

If you want the OG Experience, to actually fight to get a pet (which could kill a beginner player) instead of being gifted one like you were too weak to get one by yourself, to actually hunt or buy food, to actually have to channel ‘Mend Pet’ instead of it just being a healing dot…then you want the same thing I want.

Until then…The Force shall set me free.

3 Likes

Yeah, they need to fix this in the beta. Not even close to what vanilla was :frowning:

1 Like

If I remember correctly…120% damage or 150% if Happy. 100% if Content, 75% if Unhappy.

Their damage was based on if they were happy…and their loyalty gain too.

1 Like

125, 100, 75 are the %.

I’m level 17or 18 now in the beta. didn’t get a chance to play at all today due to my crazy first of 6 day work schedule, but when I tamed my pet @ 10, I have only fed it like a total of 5 or 6 food items. and that’s the initial tame and even letting my pet die 2x and rezzing it and giving it a food item. and my loyalty was 4 last time I checked. what level 15 I think. who knows. its not even close to that vanilla was atm.

2 Likes

Well they had 6 Levels of Friendship back in Pre-BC…with Best Friend being Level 6…and they would get a green level up when they gained a level…like a player level up but green colored basically.

And yea, 125, 100 and 75, thank you for the correction. I was close! lol

yeah. loyalty gains and food requirements are nothing like original. hope they fix it.

1 Like

The big question is…do we have Mana back?

Yes. It’s almost exactly the same as it was in the 1.12 state, so mana is there. Their intent is to have someone from 14 years ago be able to drop into Classic and barely tell any difference. They’re fiddling with values right now (as they are with loyalty levels and feed requirement for example), but the design is exactly the same.

5 Likes

Man…I do not think I can heart you reply hard enough!!! o.o

1 Like

Yeah focus never feels good, some of my hunter friends just quit hunter all together because mana seemed to be more for their and my needs. Also the whole pets having their unique abilities is one thing I miss a lot, blizzard giving hyenas and spiders a 40% slow just seems terrible as an example and all that devilsaur and scorpion mortal sting.

Well focus was more brain dead to me and removing deadzone helped with the brain dead and the place trap 10-30 yards with a click on an enemy also made it more brain dead.

Yep managing pet and the whole pet training system is what I miss most of all.
Its been so long since classic but didn’t pets use to run away or abandon you didn’t feed them and they kept dying constantly. I think that was a feature of classic but I am not sure sounds rpg like your master treats you horribly they lose respect and abandon you.

I am looking forward to traps functioning like traps no one can see them but rogues and they proc when people run into them.

That is a feature of the pets from Classic.

If they died, they lost happiness, if they are unhappy their loyalty will go down.

In Rank One, it would be easy for a novice to make the mistake of not feeding their pet then it will do one of two things:

Attack them or Run away from them.

I can’t wait to experience that again, because we are so used to NOT doing that thanks to blizz making it easier for those who didn’t know how to play…I’ll call it what it really is…selling out.

I lost like multiple pets because I ran out of food if memory serves.

Didn’t like blizzard selling out to those who didn’t know how to play.

1 Like

Just to be contrarian, hunters original resource was actually focus before it became mana, and the idea of a dead zone somewhere in front of me where an enemy can hit me with magical pew pews but I can’t put an arrow between their eyes with my own spell is nonsensical.

But whatever, I’ll probably roll a hunter sometime in classic.

1 Like

The dead zone, while being a logical absurdity, was part of the fun. It really separates skilled players from the many many many baddies in PvP. And yeah, back in the day hunter had a 90% horrible player rate…

I loved the way the class was built. The ONLY reason that I’m not rolling hunter again, is because of demand. I realize that back then, I probably only got into a high end raid guild because I signed the charter when we were all nooblets. Fewer hunters are needed and I think there will be to many hunters to compete for recruitment spots.

4 Likes

Well, if Classic is as remotely successful as vanilla was, like vanilla, there will be too many of everything for raiding.

But there is plenty to do besides raiding. I think looking at it from such a narrow view isn’t entirely helpful.

Technically, you don’t “need” certain classes except in certain situations anyway. Well, other than warriors, that is.

I guess the raider in me still exists after all these years, and I want to do the content again lol.

I’ll prob PvP after getting through tier 2. I don’t have the time to grind rank 13/14…

1 Like

Well if enough knowledgeable players (such as yourself) come back to the game then MC will be on farm relatively quickly and it won’t take long to start getting tier 2 and farming nubs in bgs.

Well, that’s if they go with the original drop plan when tier 2 dropped in MC anyway. Otherwise you’ll have to wait until phase 3 for tier 2.

They are using 1.12 loot tables, other than items added in phases due to their correlation with other content.

So MC will just be Tier 1, and probably T2 pants from Rag. T2 helm from Ony.

No, it was Mana. I’ve been around since Pre-BC…it was NEVER focus. For pets it was though.

Well, I’m in it for the original raids, and the original classic hunter play, along with the original PVP…but I think that may be screwed with blizzard going with the version no-one wants.

Dug around on wowwiki for a bit, found this snippet in the History section of the Focus page.

“Hunters played with focus during the early stages of the development of World of Warcraft. At that point, Focus only regenerated when standing still. This distinguishing feature of hunters was dropped before launch, and the developers had hunters use Mana instead. Focus was reintroduced with the release of Cataclysm.”