CLASSIC-Crashes When enabling VSync

I get an error whenever I enable Vsynch in the options.

“Unable to enable 3d accelration”

I’ve disabled full screen optimization on WOW classsic, and I can run it on standard WOW just fine.

I have also double checked and my video drivers are up to date.

System Information

Time of this report: 8/8/2019, 14:49:46
         Machine name: DESKTOP-L9A89ED
           Machine Id: {1AC668FE-92E1-445C-8184-16ABF1A90FAC}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Alienware
         System Model: Alienware Aurora R6
                 BIOS: 1.0.20 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
               Memory: 16384MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 16288MB RAM
            Page File: 12363MB used, 11347MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0001 64bit Unicode

12 Likes

Hi Damious,

Can you try to disable any overlays you have running such as GeForce Experience or Discord? We are aware of some issues that are being caused by overlays and disabling them may allow you to work around this.

19 Likes

Discord seems to be the issue though I had to quit it turning off overlay didn’t fix it (maybe needs a restart).

3 Likes

Can confirm - Discord did it to me. I was having same issue. But I had to restart the WoW game client after I exited Discord.

Meaning…when I exited Discord while still in WoW…and I tried to mess with the WoW setting…the client crashed.

Started WoW immediately (this time with Discord already gone), I did not get the error.

3 Likes

I can also confirm that Discord was the issue. Turned off the overlay while WoW was closed and then ran the game again and no longer had the issue.

1 Like

More confirmation that turning off the Discord overlay solves the issue.

1 Like

Closing all apps that overlay works, I had discord and geforce exp running. F.Y.I, even if you close discord for geforce they will have background process still running. CTRL+ALT+DEL open task manager, sort in ABC order close all discord sessions open, scroll down to nvidia Shadow Play, and close that one as well. Open WoW Classic and turn Vsyn on, boom this time no crash.

While testing this, I tried just closing out geforce and discord by normal methods and still had issues, than I task manager and closed discord still had issues, so I starting going thru nividia ones and I know shadow play uses overlay and saw that process was still running in background, so I closed that one retried vsync again and this time works.

I’m also having this issue with Classic, but not BFA. I’m told hardware settings were changed and if I would like to restore to defaults. If I select yes on BFA I can load up just fine but not in Classic. Not sure what’s changed but its nothing I’ve done. This is all happening after my laptop shut down the other day because I didn’t realize it wasn’t plugged in and battery died.

Tried every solution I’ve found online so far, Classic continues to give me 3D error yet no problems at all with BFA unless I select “No” when asking to restore to default Hardware Settings

1 Like

Still working! Just disabled overlay and exited/restarted discord + game, no more error =)

Also confirming. Exiting Discord, and relaunching WoW, I was able to enable vsync

Most overlays cause this, discord, Nvidia Shadowplay etc

It’s 2020, has this been fixed yet?

1 Like

I have fixed, Discord is to blame.

Also confirm, discord was the issue.

no, it has not lol

1 Like

Special thanks to Liziveta on the forums here, but if you turn on Windows 7 compatibility mode on the WoWClassic.exe, you can change any settings without crashing! I also am a user of Discord and I have not had to close the program to make the change after applying this fix.

2 Likes

same thing happens to me… :frowning:

still crashing months later… nice

1 Like

This works!

4 months later still crashing, multiple tickets opened. Nothing. This threads advice is NOT a solution for everyone. Disappointed I can freely do anything on any other version of wow, but crashing on a 15 year old client lol… really wish I could fix this, I’ve tried my utmost best legit, I give up on this I have accepted this bug to be a permanent thing & that’s actually just sad givin the fact this game is literally 15 bucks a month to play and nobody can fix this solution for me.