Classic communities opinion on retails Portal situation?

They need SOMETHING in current WoW to blame for what they don’t like about current WoW. Just like how adding flight is what caused people to not attack another player that’s in the middle of a quest.

Okay fine you really need me to spoon feed you common knowledge all of us but you apparently? I will sweetheart.

This one is straight forward. I called you lazy for complaining about having to do something that literally takes 1 minute. You said “no lol”. This one doesn’t need argued. You are being lazy, that is the literal definition of the word.

They port you to locations that are close to where you need to be, that’s why you would talk to them. Just because a mage only ports you to theramore when you need to go to tanaris doesn’t mean it isn’t convenient, you just EXPECT to be placed instantly at the location you want…because you know, you’re lazy.

One of the aspects of an mmo is travel. That is pretty set in stone right there that you’re wrong so… how can I argue this when it’s literally common knowledge? Sorry you aren’t quite wise enough to pick up on that.

Do you really need this argued? If I have to run to one place on foot compared to being ported there instantly… which scenario would make for a ‘bigger’ world? Honestly does this really need any more explanation for you? If it does I wouldn’t suggest posting any opinions on a forum as you might out yourself as a moron. May be too late though so who cares.

This is because you aren’t porting around most of the time and you’re on the ground walking. In vanilla 70% of the zones are worthless to you once you hit max level too. Does the game feel small when you’re level 60 in classic? Nope still feels big. Why? Because if you’re horde and you need to get to MC, it’s going to be a travel.

So let me get this straight. You think that because you can’t instantly port to a zone you want to go to…where you are put instantly into an INSTANCED zone away from everyone… those zones are going to be any more dead? You realize that when you’re raiding BT for transmogs you aren’t actually making shadowmoon populated right?

And this type of thinking is so hilarious to me. “IF I CAN’T GET THERE INSTANTLY THEN THERES NO POINT IN GOING”. What a terrible game you play that a 2 minute flight will literally deter you away from doing something you want. God you are such an
insatiable twerp.

“I can go to a druid specific zone on my druid because I have a port but I don’t on my characters so I think we need ports everywhere because of this”.

What does this have to do with anything even remotely related to what we are talking about?

You know what I think we are done here, talking to a retailer such as yourself is like talking to a schizo homeless person, nothing makes sense.

You started in 2013 anyway ports literally were in the game way before you started so you are more than irrelevant in this conversation anyway.

No one cares about retail.

I find it very interesting because after reading the outraged comments, it really shows how different the mindsets are both classic fans and BFA fans. One isn’t necessarily better than the other, but we are both very different, expecting different things. Catering to both groups is impossible, so it’d be best to keep both games separate.

They didn’t go far enough - should have removed flying too!

His thinking goes in the right direction, though.

Players have gotten very accustomed to certain portal locations because some of them have been in place for many years. With these portals, these players do engage with the world, even if if isn’t in the traditional vanilla kind of sense. Take these portals away after having been there so long, I’m going to guess that at least some players won’t bother to continue to engage with the old world anymore, at least some of the time. Some may quit engaging altogether.

I understand that this makes you angry, but it’s the reality of the modern playerbase.

Putting it into a perspective, it’s kind of as if Blizzard decided to nerf the speed of ground mounts in Kalimdor/EK across the board by 25% once TBC dropped for the same reason: “to make the world seem bigger.”

1 Like

I have played BfA it’s not the mentality of all retail players, it’s the mentality of the players who the game is made for now, which is what killed the game.

And that comparison… doesn’t really fit… azeroth was pretty much untouched with TBC so making mounts slower for it doesn’t make sense. This change literally makes going to a raid a minute or two longer than it was before, changing mount speed by 25% isn’t even in the same boat.

If you can’t be arsed to take a minute travel to do the thing you want to do, then you really don’t want to do it. Which I don’t blame them in that sense because the game is trash as it is anyway. And let’s not act like this change is going to ‘kill off’ these zones from players as if it was lively beforehand. People would port to CoT, and then go into their instance… that didn’t make tanaris populated and it’s silly to act like it did.

That thinking DOESN’T go in the right direction… at all.

All right, griping about the CoT port might be a bit histrionic, but the Shrine portals should not be removed. Sorry. Not moving on that one.

It doesn’t matter if you ‘move’ or not lol it didn’t make the zone any more lively. You literally would just hearth to the shrine, and then portal to where you needed to be. You were there for a total of 5 seconds how does removing these make it any less alive? You can’t honestly think it was.

Except everywhere a mage can port is already covered by the portal room making them worthless except for the niche areas that you can find alternatives to anyways. The only benefit of a mage is if you yourself are playing one.

No not really, an MMORPG is about community and progression really in some big world. Not so much travel, that’s just what often comes with a large world. I play OSRS and it has a lot of teleports (most gotta be unlocked which is good) and it’s a thriving game.

Except I’m not running on foot, I’m flying alt tabbed and not aware of anyone around me lol. You’re not really gonna be immersed in the world when all you gotta do is press numlock and not afk long enough to be halfway into the ocean.

Can’t fly or port to Uldir or Dazar’alor; I have to run to the entrance or get a summon. Same if I want to do a dungeon on M+ difficulty. Doesn’t really make the world any bigger having to travel there… probably because it’s on two small islands.

This really just goes back to my point of the world going to still feel dead due to lack of anything meaningful to do there.

So the zones won’t be more populated with people flying or walking there either it sounds like! Hmm! Maybe they should… idk… add relevant content to those zones?

If the only reason to go to a zone is for measly cosmetics and it’s made harder to go there, people are just not going to bother lol. Simple.

It’s a simple example that flew over your head lol. Having easy access to a zone that offers absolutely no relevant content (even to druids tbh) made it more populated than it would be without it.

Ty for understanding where I’m coming from. In vanilla, you traveled through those zones to do relevant content, but right now we travel through those zones to basically farm cosmetics.

1 Like

I’m not even sure what you’re arguing right now. I guess you’re using “you” in the general sense here? And yes, you’ve correctly described what is called a “portal hub”. That is what the Shrine portals functioned as these past years. you didn’t even need to set your hearth there to use them that way. Pandaria remains reasonably popular for farming mounts, pets, mats, transmog, and achievements-- so players come and go through there and then use the portals to move on to where they want to be next.
And if they were me, “where they wanted to be next” might be somewhere else in, say, Northrend or Outland for some mining. Definitely out in the world.

I think its a horrible idea. Since Cataclysm WoW has been about removing, not adding. Talent Trees, Glyphs, enchants, pet talent trees, etc, etc. Almost everything in the game now is about streamlined convenience. Instead of removing something to improve the world, why not add back one of the great thinks you removed.

And the game would be in a much better place if people got as upset about them removing portals when they decided to initiate all this dumbed-down streamlining for Cataclysm. Add, don’t remove. Make it more complex not less.

See, they’ve already broken this rule into pieces, grinded it to a fine dust, and threw it out the window years ago. Now they’re getting restrictive on portals? No wonder people are pissed.

1 Like

Did you lose track of what you were commenting on? You first stated the guy was correct in his thoughts of it making the world more dead because players won’t go there. You then mentioned you weren’t budging on the mists portals though. If you are going to change the subject of the argument then you should say so before bringing it up otherwise I am going to assume that’s what you’re talking about.

Nope. I did not. You seemed to, though, as the way you described how you imagine people use those portals left little room for deviation.

Look, I get that you feel really strongly about this, so I’m gonna leave this one to you.

Retail is a bad game by all standards, made by out of touch developers. There’s not a lot more to say.

Just want to throw in my 2 copper here.

The feeling of a world being “big” is also very much dependent on movement speed.

Every expansion past Classic has had flying at max level, which in itself makes the world “smaller” since you can move through it way faster (and ignore roads and mountains).

Classic will feel “bigger” compared to retail, despite the fact that the world is “technically smaller.”

Classic will feel bigger than retail because you don’t have tons of portals, 310% flight speed, queues that teleport you to dungeons, and the whole world is truly relevant.

No I didn’t lol. The subject was ‘does the removal of portals make the world more dead’. I stated that with the portals in the mists zone, when people went there specifically for the portals they were there for 5 seconds so it wasn’t anymore alive. So the removal of them is going to change literally nothing in terms of how ‘alive’ it’s going to be. Do you understand?

And I explained how people engage with the world in Pandaria and actually use those portals there for more than just as a brief portal hub (although it’s used for that still too), and you completely ignored the point I made. So be it. Go argue with other people.

I ignored it because it has literally nothing to do with the portals. People don’t go to pandaeria to farm mounts…because of the portals. That makes absolutely 0 sense. “Man I really want this rare mount in pandaeria it’s so cool… oh wait the portals aren’t in the shrine anymore? Nevermind I won’t go then”.

I tried to spare you the embarrassment of this argument but you really seem like you wanted to bring it up, so here we are.