Class Tuning in Progress -- April 19

Can we look at affliction single target damage? A buff to focused malignancy, withering bolt or unstable affliction would all be needed and it wouldn’t increase its council/cleave damage.

2 Likes

I don’t think that players misplays should be accounted when balancing, therefore the only way to properly balance spec is to consider them when played to their fullest.

And these changes still don’t really have much of an effect outside of those keys. The vast majority of groups, including groups pushing mid-high 20 keys, aren’t doing a whole lot of pulls that exceed 8 targets. Destro and Survival are immensely powerful at 5-8 targets, are still going to be fantastic beyond 8 targets (70% of their damage comes from just Survival’s bombs, with an additional 12-15% coming from Wildfire Cluster and those are still completely uncapped), and will still be taken to almost any serious top-end key.

To put into perspective how little this affects basically anyone posting here, you can still pull every single trash mob in Grand Protector Beryllia’s room into the boss and quickly kill the Urh relic to spawn the Urh mob and there will be literally no difference because that caps out at 7 targets, and that is a pull that people will very, very rarely attempt to do because of how dangerous it is without well-planned CC. This is an obscenely difficult pull that you probably won’t be doing in most keys you run and both Destro and Survival are completely untouched in this specific pull and will still snap this pull in half.

I did 21.4k overall in an SD last week on my Survival Hunter and I would’ve lost about 300-400 overall DPS to these nerfs. Considering how much higher the spec is than most in heavy AoE, that’s… absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

OK so we should make a class feel horrible based on how one player in the world can play… how about no that is incredibly cruel to everybody else that suffers. That one player is a non issue largely.

Then why bother? Why do a change? Making the change costs good will, time, and money. So it’s basically just a loser.

I am not surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore. SV is still fun, just maybe not FOTM anymore. I am okay with this.

MDI specifically. Both Destro and Survival are extreme outliers in 20-target pulls to the point where a few groups were capable of just pulling six or seven packs in Gambit or Halls of Atonement and having their Destro Lock+Survival Hunter turn it into about ~1mil overall DPS between the two of them.

It’s a change that needed to happen because of how absurdly broken these specs were in massive pulls like that, but there were a million and one ways Blizzard could’ve nerfed these specs that would’ve affected them for content most folks do. This is about as good a nerf as they could’ve done, because they absolutely did need to do something about it.

7 Likes

This is really the point I’m trying to make too. They are looking at the wrong end of the DPS spectrum, both from an actual spec performance standpoint and a “number of players positively or negatively affected” standpoint.

So… burning good will to prop up e-sports… got it. Rather than just doing it on the tournament realm they burn good will. I guess the profit from MDI must vastly exceed any loss from good will.

2 Likes

So being able to pull off these massive pulls properly is being punished?

1 Like

No holy pally buffs they just fine with restro druids blast so much heals in raid and shammy dps being insane

You would be happy to know that this is an exceedingly minor nerf to SV.

2 Likes

SV is still going to be way ahead of almost everyone

bdk has always been able to outheal healers if they know what they’re doing

1 Like

But how are they burning good will when this change has literally zero impact on anyone outside of the few dozen people who would be breaking the game with these two specs on super high keys on live servers anyway?

This nerf has zero impact for the vast majority of the playerbase in the vast majority of realistic situations, and these specs are still completely bonkers in huge pulls even after these nerfs.

About 12-15% of Survival’s AoE damage comes from Wildfire Cluster versus the 70% that comes from their Wildfire Bombs (when you combine all three variants and their corresponding DoTs and tertiary effects). That 12-15% is what got soft-capped; the remaining 70% is completely untouched. That amounts to virtually nothing because that 12-15% still does damage beyond 8 targets, just at a slightly reduced rate per target beyond 8.

Appearances, people don’t think “I never do 8+ pulls” they think “I’m getting nerfed” it’s not a rational numbers thing. It’s a visceral emotional reaction.

Expecting most posters to critically and objectively view a nerf, understand it’s reasoning, and determine it has 0 effect on them is WAY too much.

It’s much easier to just rage at a nerf out of principle.

4 Likes

the other factor is that for most people there’s no such thing as a decent spec. everything is either “insanely OP” or “unplayable garbage”

2 Likes

too bad they arent being mass deleted from the game! :rofl:

Finally SV got a spot in the game and u kill the spec because reasons.
Nothing u can spect from this company anyways.

Nerfs are not the solution, u need to buff weakest specs in the game.

1 Like

Please also keep heartbound Lupin mounts current doggie paddle flying!

Its adorable and makes this mount unique vs the same old sparkle trail mounts!

Keep the sky swimming pls!

Thanks for the intelligent comment and showing the math.

I simmed the same guy as other covenants and without the DRW conduit, and he loses 1300 / 2500 dps immediately.

Maybe any adjustments can be targeted at Kyrian’s DK ability and that conduit moreso than BDK’s as a whole, as less than ~10% of BDK’s are Kyrian anyway.