Class Set Feedback: Priest

The PTR server isn’t on yet. Is there a way to acquire the set bonuses for testing once it is?

edit: Nevermind I see an npc in Oribos will give it.

Without delving into any of the nitty-gritty, number stuff… Shadow’s set bonuses feel really weird and impractical.

Buffing a filler to this point, especially one like Mind Flay, will change our rotation in a very unpleasant manner, we’ll be constantly fishing for DT procs and delaying other spell casts, especially before/during cds.

Any sort of move away from a focus on mindflay/dark thoughts would be really neat.

5 Likes

Really would prefer to see shadow’s 2 set move to buffing mind blast or devouring plague, rather than dark thoughts. The current design is incredibly awkward as far as how it impacts our DPS priority/rotation.

As far as the 4 set, besides moving it away from dark thoughts (perhaps put it on devouring plague?) also consider adding an AoE component. Shadow is already pretty middle of the pack as far as AoE goes, and many of the other DPS specs have an AoE component in their set bonus. Avoiding this for shadow would only compound shadow’s AoE weakness.

5 Likes

Dark Thoughts is a broken and unfinished mechanic.

Why are you building a set around it.

3 Likes

As a current gladiator shadow priest,

Please also consider this shadow priest set in a pvp stand point. If you look at the log of all high ranked shadow priest. We barely hard cast any mind blast or mind flay in arena. All high rated sp might cast 2 or 3 mind blast the whole arena game and maybe 1 or 2 mind flay…
So this set has almost no value in arena.

Please also be mindful that shadow priest has all its defensive in shadow school. If we get kick in shadow, we can’t use dispersion not greater fade, resulting in death in this fast meta. And a lot of decent high rated opponents are playing on this to shadow priest.
This set would make the rotation hard casting a lot mind flay to fish the proc, making it very likely to be kicked in shadow often and very immobile in general. In arena, there are not many moments after casting VT would you want to be kicked in shadow unless you know you are safe (enemy CD is not up or in a very safe position)… but this doesn’t happen at all against melee training sp.

I would propose to make the set bonus to somehow enable the void volley in certain situation, it’s both good in pvp , pve and mythic+. And make the projectile tunnel more in forward in raid encounter. Stay as it is in pvp. Void volley is such a cool design , enabling the fantasy and the lore of shadow, but it’s not in pve, I feel like it should.

8 Likes

Greetings priests,

The Shadow bonuses, specifically the 2-piece bonus, are going to undergo some changes based off the feedback provided. To start, the 2-piece bonus will move its focus to Devouring Plague. As the only spender in the Shadow Priest rotation, and with the abundance of Insanity in the Shadow kit, it seems like a good hook to pivot to. The 4-piece will remain largely unchanged, however, Your Shadow will swap their current single target channel for one that favors AoE situations as well. Thank you for the feedback and we’re eager to hear your thoughts on the next iteration.

13 Likes

Nice and quick response :star_struck:

Thanks for the update, and for considering the community feedback; looking forward to trying the new set on the PTR!

Thank you for the reply and update. These look like good changes <3

Hi!

For 2pc, the set bonus is rather underwhelming. It favours disc priests who have a disproportionate amount of innervates, due to the extra cpm of shadow mend/pw:s innervate stacking allows. However, because those disc priest happen to have a lot of innervates, the value of extra mana savings via shadow mend is somewhat irrelevant. Moreover, if you do not have an excess of innervates, you do not have enough cpm of shadow mend/pw:s for this set bonus to provide much value.

Additionally, for the major cd based ramps, this set bonus either provides no value or has ‘feels bad’ moments to gain its value. Starting with Evangelism, Evangelism currently relies on Clarity of Mind to gain max value out of its cd (this is partly to due with other disc priest legendaries are underpowered, but also due to the fact Boon of the Ascended heavily benefits from very long atonements). In this case, you are not going to stop casting rapture atonements to cast a free shadow mend. the 21 second duration atonements on top of the large absorb shields are too significant to ignore.

Same thing for spirit shell, you are ramping before damage goes out meaning it is likely you would feel forced to use the 2pc procs on targets with 100% hp. I would argue this is a significant feels bad moment because I either spend my time applying absorb shields, or choose to significant gain value out of my 2pc and cast shadow mends on targets with 100% hp.

I believe all of this can be fixed if the set bonus is simply more powerful in a universally appreciable fashion. Perhaps instead of a flat proc, the proc could use RPPM. This would fix the issue where innervate stacking disc priests gain extra value (which they do not need) out of the set bonus, and would be more beneficial to disc priests who really need the extra mana value. Also, perhaps consider some kind of buff this set bonus could apply so it is more useful in environments where you do not cast as many atonements (see M+ and PvP). Perhaps the shadow mend could buff atonement healing on the target for a set duration? This would make targeted atonement healing feel more relevant and increase the relevance of this proc.

Regarding disc priest 4pc. The wowhead datamining implies the 4pc allows power of the darkside stacks to 2. Could this be confirmed? If it does, perhaps an added line of text on the 4pc to confirm this if stacking to 2 is an intended interaction.

Other than that, the disc 4pc seems fine maybe even underpowered numerically. Penance is quite underwhelming power wise in comparison to boon of the ascended or shadowfiend. This set bonus (and the holy paladin set bonus) also seemingly doubles down on the problem in the healer meta. Disc priest gains extra dps from the 4pc so their ‘utility’ of extra free healer dps is worth more, making it harder to justify playing shamans or druids.

2 Likes

Thankyou for the update, and acknowledgement of Shadow’s resource issue as a pain point for the future. Looking forward to seeing what you’ve got in store.

Curious about how the 2piece will play with Searing Nightmare, as in pretty much all AoE situations that’s our insanity spender and has the same resource issue mentioned, but I’ll save any feedback until I’ve had a chance to play around with it.

2 Likes

Hi!

The Tier set for the disc priest is almost nonsense to solve the problem the disc priest is terrible in M+. And in the meantime, compare with Tier set bonus and buff from 2-legends for other healers, Disc priest one is disastrous. For healing, most of disc priest will use Penance and shadow mend as less as possible for directly healing, so if the Tier set is build upon these 2 spells, it is definitely nonsense. I hope if it is possible, the Tier sets can be build upon the atonement itself and increase the damage for several sec after some spells, which will be very cool and full of operability for all the disc priests. Priest is the most traditional class in MMO RPG but nowadays it has already been a rare class in WOW which make us disappointed. Please don’t just focus on the highest level player in the world.

Thx

4 Likes

This feedback concerns disc priest in raiding content only:

2 Piece - this piece is extremely underwhelming unfortunately, for a couple of reasons. One, it rewards getting your hands on as much external mana as possible and playing into a style of applying atonements outside of ramp windows (which is not a style that disc can currently support with its long radiance CD, high mana costs, and weak damage). Two, and related to the first point, it’s counterintuitive in the sense that you DON’T want to use your proc during a ramp window because you won’t have the extra atonement duration that you would get from your legendary.

My recommendation - give it extra atonement duration and probably allow the proc to stack up to 2 times.

4 Piece - the design behind it is good, unfortunately penance is so weak right now that this isn’t going to pack the punch that you’d like from a 4 piece tier set.

My recommendation - Also make this stack up to 2 times and allow both stacks to be consumed by 1 penance cast.

6 Likes

Love you homie.

so much love in priest community xxx

1 Like

The biggest problem with the spriest tier set is that it provides literally no benefit in multi target scenarios. And this is a flaw in design of the spriest. Spriest is one of the only if not the only builder/spender class that doesn’t have a baseline way to spend resource in AoE. Which in turn means that a 2 or 4 pc set bonus cannot buff said ability.

Holy Tier Set

Hopefully this feedback collates a number of perspectives as well as my own opinion.

Functionally the Holy 2 piece and 4 piece bonuses work: they are essentially reworded versions of Conduits: Holy Oration and Resonant Words respectively, with a slight tweak on the 4pc such that it affects more spells. It is a throughput increase, absolutely, but… I feel it’s quite disappointing—in the absence of any other changes that perhaps may exist but are not yet seen.

Light of the Naaru

The 2pc bonus feels very familiar to Light of the Naaru (Talent) and Holy Oration (Conduit). More Holy Word CDR is, of course, a good thing: Holy’s filler spells are rather lackluster without the legendary Flash Concentration propping up Heal. I’m certainly not going to turn down 15 seconds of CDR on a Holy Word… but…

Prayer of Healing

… I’m also not going to cast Prayer of Healing (unless there’s some tuning pending). Renew is also not going to feel fantastic with the 4pc bonus, but at least when in a Divine Conversation, if I really need Holy Word: Sanctify back quickly, I’m going to choose Renew… but it will still feel bad. If there’s a situation where I want Holy Word: Sanctify back quickly, it’s likely because damage across multiple targets is occurring. In theory I should want to cast Prayer of Healing in that situation, but more likely (without any unknown tuning) I’m going to cast Heal (with Flash Concentration) and play whack-a-mole. Amping Prayer of Healing sounds great—but only in a scenario where Prayer of Healing isn’t the wrong spell to cast. It currently is the wrong spell to cast.

Harmonius Apparatus

Divine Conversation sounds fantastic with a varied core kit. Unfortunately a large number of our spells do not interact with our kit baseline. Expansion of our Holy Words repertoire requires a legendary. We have a number of spells that have interactions with the other specs (Mind Blast has an interaction for Disc and for Shadow, but when it becomes Holy Fire it does not have a “kit” interaction (one could argue it’s the DoT… but DPS isn’t really our ‘kit’ considering we have fewer DPS spells…), requiring Harmonious Apparatus). Empowering a Holy Fire sounds great for DPS. But for more challenging content it’s unlikely that Harmonious Apparatus would be used over Flash Concentration—not that Harmonious Apparatus is particularly interesting, it’s mostly getting mentioned as a lament that its effects were/are not baseline.

Niche

Ultimately the bonuses undoubtedly increase our throughout (without any unknown tuning), but that may not particularly ‘mean’ anything. What is our niche? It’s not throughput—that’s currently Mistweavers (and ~Resto Druids). I’ve heard utility and that Symbol of Hope was supposed to be the start of heading us in that direction but the spell still leaves much to be desired. It’s more useful in M+ now, absolutely, but the spell still contradicts itself (% missing mana vs. defensives).

If utility is our niche, could our tier set perhaps be more of an experiment towards that end? I certainly like bigger numbers, but in higher M+ it’s not really about bigger numbers because a crit Holy Word: Serenity is going to do the job anyway. One thing that is often brought up is that we need a Damage Reduction or more damage (yes, practically we do more damage in terms of raw numbers on a spell-by-spell basis than Disc, but damaging while healing and damage reduction are still “always” better). I personally do not want just a raw DR spell. I will cling to this until something better comes along but we have a unique spell that could provide us utility and “damage reduction” (by healing): Ray of Hope. It is currently an Honor talent. I think if our 4pc was “gain spell: Ray of Hope” it’d be interesting and an experiment in a potential niche for us.

TL;DR

Our tier set does not inspire. Perhaps there’s some way to make it so that we do inspire (in a support-y sort of way). It does increase our healing throughput and while more Holy Words is nice… one thing that (presumably) is supposed to make Holy attractive is having a spell for every situation, and right now I’ve got a spell I’ve only cast this expansion because I like to see the animation from time to time and even the 4pc won’t change that.

12 Likes

Would really like to see something different for Holy priest.
More CDR as our bonus set is underwhelming, yes it’s effective but lacks fun.

I’d rather have something to make us interact with Prayer of Healing. Make our Symbol of Hope an interesting spell. Making PoM procs have a chance to do something big.
Holy priest is full of spells for many situations there’s a lot to try

6 Likes

These are still awful for spriests in pvp.

Please do not tie mindflay or mind sear to it. These aren’t used in pvp much because of the pathetic low damage and it opening up the spriest to interrupt for no benefit (awful dmg). You’re also constantly repositioning in pvp.

I’d rather it significantly buff shadowy apparitions, at least it would work in both pve/pvp.

Or bring back void tendril damage via devouring plague cast, looks cool and fits the theme. Was nice in legion.

Also searing nightmare is our other resource spender for aoe pve.

1 Like

Reposting my EU post here: Please rework the Holy Priest set bonuses.

My first impression is that this is very underwhelming and I was not excited at all when I read these set bonuses. Both of them seem very boring. Why not bring something new or exiting like how tier sets used to work. Something that changes up how you play the spec, make a talent really good or test out something fun and broken over a patch cycle.

• The 2p set bonus Knowledge (2p) Your Holy Words begin Divine Conversation, increasing the cooldown reduction of your next Holy-Word-affecting spell by 15 sec. We have this already just a bit weaker, first as a last row talent and second as a conduit.

• The 4p set bonus Blessed Soul (4p) Divine Conversation increases the effectiveness of your next Holy-Word-affecting spell by 35%. We also have in conduit form with Resonant Words, note it only affects heal and flash heal but its still just a copy paste of something we already got.

The reason to why I am so upset about how boring, underwhelming and uninspiring this set bonus is, is that it does not bring anything remotely new. Not in regards to our legendary picks, its still going to be Flash Concentration for all content. It just double down on the CD reduction mechanic and gameplay which I dont like, Holy Priest gameplay was so much more back in the day than this. The tier set does nothing to help boost Holy Priest weakness at this very moment, which is lack of mobility, no raid damage reduction and raid utility neither does it do anything to change up what talents you choose, which was a big part of how Tier sets worked before. I remember back in end of legion there was a tier set bonus that made it so that binding heal was really good to use.

So as a final note here are some tier set bonuses that I think would be a lot more fun and exciting to play with for 9.2.

• Stronger together (2p): Prayer Circle now increases the healing of Prayer of Healing by 150% for its duration.

the above boosts a clearly underpowered and mana costly spell that I have cast maybe 10 times since the start of shadowlands, it used to be a major part of a Holy priests rotation and it also changes up the talent pick from since you have to choose Prayer Circle over Surge of light

• Inspiration (4p): Increase your target’s versatility by 5% for 10 sec after getting a critical effect from your healing spells.

Something that I have wished for quite a while that Holy Priests should get. This suggestion is based on the old Inspiration talent that Holy Priest had back in classic only taken to the modern era. It gives some passive damage increase and damage reduction for a short duration. No other healer has anything like this and it would be a big boost for Holy Priests to get it.

Here is another set bonus suggestion:

• Divine movement (2p): Hymn can now be cast while moving, cant be interrupted and its channel time is reduced by 1 second.

With how much movement is needed for most of the raid encounters in SoD, based on that if the new raid have as much forced movement then this gives more mobility and wont force us to cancel the channel early, which tent to happen.

• Divine shield (4p): Divine Hymn now applies all healing done as an absorb instead and has its channel time reduced by 1 additional second.

Just a crazy good boost to hymn that change up how you use the spell and and give us a well needed power boost.

At the end Holy needs something that makes it stand out from the bottom of the barrel and bring it on par with some of the other healers utilities. F.ex The inspiration 2p suggestion would be something competently new that no other healer would bring. A small dps boost to all classes. I really do hope you rework Holy tier set bonus and maybe the spec later on as well. Please make my Christmas wish come true this year, it would be nice with a miracle.

TL:DR Holy tier set needs a rework

9 Likes