Class Fantasy

For the NPC I imagine it’s “I pray the next world ending threat doesn’t learn this ultimate power to manipulate these heroes”.

If the Burning Legion offered us a free legendary, Azeroth would have been conquered in an afternoon.

4 Likes

Legion is somehow too honest to do that. lol.

“Go do this quest for me.”

“What’s in it for me?”

“You get to live.”

“…And?”

“That’s it.”

“That’s it? No legendary? No welfare epics? Not even a new toy to play with for five minutes before I get bored?”

“No. Take it or leave it.”

fifteen minutes later, another quester finds the quest giver lying dead and not having respawned yet

2 Likes

I enjoy how professions fit into the personal lore and general vibe of a character. Tauren as herbalist. Forsaken and alchemy. Etc.

2 Likes

It was a narrative that was changing from Vanilla onwards. It was a group of adventurers who killed Rags, and heroes who killed Illidan - BC introduced NPC reactions based on reputation (by Exalted, certain factions basically worshipped you). First quests in Wrath had NPCs calling you heroes who are too good to stand in line with anyone else.

NPC: “Moles.”

Player: “Somebody named Moles, somebody with moles or is this a mole bearers eradication campaign?”

NPC: “You misunderstand me. I need you to kill moles as in the little ground animals.”

Player: “Do I still get paid the same”

NPC: “Of course”

Player: “Well, it’s a little odd if you ask me. But if you’re payin’, I’m slayin’. Moles, get ready to meet your maker”.

3 Likes

I don’t know why you’re continuing to argue with me. I’m aware of it. I think the story team got carried away with it at some point. It’s starting to be a little over the top in Wrath, yeah, but for me that’s not the breaking point.

It’s funny because the last time I RP’d in a group, it was during MoP. It was a guild storyline that took the expansion into account, but we also allowed for individual character development that didn’t follow the game. Our toons might go run dungeons or raids or quest, but that had zero to do with the guild’s storyline, or the individual stories of the characters (unless the players decided to include something.) This was what that other guy couldn’t understand: how on earth could an RP’r deviate from the set story handed down by Blizzard.

I don’t think I’m going to have much else to say to about this so I’m going to let you have the last word.

This right here, that’s almost entirely the reason I like Horde more in Classic as opposed to Current, it’s almost ironic how in the current canon orcs are slowly losing touch with the shamanistic past. Still, very nice tastes.

Rarely can you go wrong with the classic wilderness man, especially in Classic where most of the zones are described as being untamed and wild with very few settlements to go around.

What a novel concept, playing what you enjoy, I think more people ought to do that.

There is something to be said about the Paladin’s lore of being not just priests in armor but rather accomplished warriors and tacticians, it’s a damn shame that paladins seem to only fit the “Deus vult” crusader memes nowadays. Still though, very cool. And good luck with the priest route this time, a lot of interesting stuff there, albeit you have to wear a dress.

Yeah, I feel like most people tend to shy away from the more morally ambiguous characters these days, everyone wants to be hero and all that, it’s nice to know that atleast some people still give some love to the spooky boy’s lore.

This actually has me very torn, I always wanna run a hunter with leather working for the aesthetic of a rough beast hunter who slays the likes of dragons and cobbles his gear together from enemies he slays, though at the same I know engineering is considerably better. You are right though, I wish more people took professions into account.

1 Like

It’s so easy to add things to an RP that can explain away just about anything. If I wanted my Forsaken rogue to go off and do his own thing for a bit, he was going to visit the graves of his family. Any new loot he came back with was a result of hardships he’d encountered along the way.

It seems some people have a need for a more rigid structure in their story telling. People can look at Classic as the story or they can choose to see it as a canvas or a book with most of the pages still blank. I strongly suspect you’ve seen RP groups good enough that the over arcing story at times becomes more of a back drop than the feature. It makes for fun story telling.

1 Like

(Oh goodness I missed one) That’s actually really cool, not just because of the warlock aspect but I so rarely see people genuinely wanting to RP gnomes as anything more than comic relief, it’s good to know that some people are willing to step up and take the pink haired hero’s seriously.

1 Like

This is pretty much how it’s done, yeah. In my earliest RP days though, I came up with the excuse that yeah other people had already done these quests but somehow these mobs and such just would NOT go away so the problem persisted. Kind of like in real life, right?

Well, eventually I adopted the philosophy of mentally pretending my character was the one who did these quests while when RP’ing with others, he factually was not. Kind of like I mentally shifted between two different universes.

The shift is an interesting idea. I could easily see that into a character that goes around quietly claiming credit for the deeds of others and silently hoping that whoever was actually doing all of those didn’t find out that somebody was stealing their glory.

The guy who constructed the stories in that guild was indeed amazingly talented, and the RP’rs he gathered were also incredible. I was really a bit in awe at the whole thing.

1 Like

Being around great writers usually means learning a way to better one’s own writing. I got to where I could tell a decent story, but to this day I can’t do a premise to save myself.

1 Like

Yeah no, my character never took credit. Like I said, it was more like me, the player, shifting between two different universes: one where my character WAS the one who did these things, and one where he wasn’t. The one where he wasn’t is the one where I’d be roleplaying with others. That’s how I’ve been justifying it ever since.

1 Like

I[quote=“Laeric-wyrmrest-accord, post:30, topic:124600”]
This is pretty much how it’s done, yeah. In my earliest RP days though, I came up with the excuse that yeah other people had already done these quests but somehow these mobs and such just would NOT go away so the problem persisted. Kind of like in real life, right?
[/quote]

I usually go with this method, though I tend to go with the route of saying “Well we couldn’t stamp them out ENTIRELY but we made sure they’re not an immediate threat anymore.” Like in Elwynn for exampe, sure you killed hogger and Goldshire is far safer now, but there’s always going to be gnolls traipsing about the forest being annoying.

1 Like

Yeah, and it’s actually kind of funny because Blizzard themselves reference this in Redridge with the Yowler quest that replaced the original one. In the new, post-Cata Yowler quest, the quest giver mentions there’ve been a LOT of Yowlers, like an entire line of them.

It’s like gnolls breed like rabbits or something.

1 Like

I understood what you were saying. Apparently I did a poor job of conveying that. As soon as you mentioned the details of the shift though, my brain immediately thought about story possibilities. All of this talk of story telling and RP ideas isn’t making the wait for Classic any easier.

Haha no problem man. My bad. I’m utter crap at explaining myself so I thought this was another instance where I wasn’t clear.

So I quit playing right before wrath launched and made my triumphant return to wow mid-legion with this warrior. When I was picking my class for my new character all I wanted to do was keep it simple and smash things with a giant two handed smasher. This character rocks because it’s not magic, it’s mostly not in depth strategy, it’s just the beefiest (lol pun) shouldered race I could make, standing in the middle of the fight in heavy plate swinging away until the problems are dead. Arms warriors are awesome for simple RP.

For classic I’m planning to spend most of my time on a dwarf or tauren hunter. The wilderness survivalist track is just so easy to get immersed in for me. Double up on gathering professions and fishing. Then it’s just cycling through adventures to distant lands, filling my bags with valuable skins and herbs, before coming back to ironforge or TB to trade. You have to stock up on bullets, maybe get something different for your pet to eat just for kicks, pay for it all with skins you sold on ah to crafters, and then back out again. I skew towards introversion, and being a hunter, fishing out in the wilds with just a big [really won’t let me say a55?] turtle for a companion is a fun way to RP an introvert in an MMORPG.

3 Likes

Put me in this boat, and that’s why I’ll main one in classic. It was also my primary gripe with legion, I was hoping to be a pragmatic, real world leader of men than some random god I didn’t care for’s heaven general.

The order hall DID admittedly look nice though.

2 Likes