Class design, wotlk vs retail

Wotlk class design was a perfectly round, smooth, and functioning wheel. There was never a valid reason to try and reinvent it.

3 Likes

Wrath has ranged survival hunter and retail doesn’t so it’s an easy choice: Wrath.

3 Likes

Feels really good to play a Class again and not just a limited spec.

2 Likes

I love Fury Warrior in Retail

Most everything else feels better in Wrath, in most cases it feels like there’s always something to do, while in Retail several classes and specs spend an excess amount of time just waiting for a resource or cooldown

The new talent trees in Dragonflight look pretty cool though, hopefully a lot of the quirks get ironed out before prepatch…

1 Like

I’d argue wrath is best. I was not a fan of mop design

I really liked MoP raids. It was the best expac post WoTLK.

Each to there own though, there isn’t really a right or wrong answer to which patch or expansion we all found the class design to be the best.

I mean you said no argument lol

True, and it is true. There is no argument, because the topic is subjective. While I say MoP had the best class design, doesn’t mean everyone is going to view it the same way as I do.

Live game is far more of a spammy action fame, whereas wrath still places a lot of importance on sustained damage via hard cast spells, like shadow bolt, and auto attacks for melee.

I’ve never liked how they moved away from auto attacks in the live game, which is why i pretty much only play casters there. Melee feels so much better to me in the classic trilogy. Auto attacks are an absolutely integral part of this games combat system, and moving away from them was a massive mistake.

3 Likes

White damage was still part of the class but they (Blizzard) started to move away from that type of game mechanic. Vanilla was too much white damage. WotLK seemed to get it about right.

“ESO vs Skyrim” Which is better? “EQ1 vs EQ2”? “4E vs 5E”?

“Blue, no. Yelowwwwwwww”

1 Like

Wotlk Warrior is the pinnacle of melee class design in any mmo ever. The stance dancing, rage prioritizing, weapon swapping, slam cast, balancing GCD with white swing rage generation, it is the best. Retail Warrior feels stupid by comparison.

1 Like

Extremely bad take. Just in the last 2 raid tiers we’ve had the Sylvanas Bow (and quiver), the rogue dagger, Jaithys, Vein Ripper, Antumbra, the fist weapon from SOD, and Gavel from Jailer which all have pretty insane effects (Gavel is such a game changer for 2h classes).

I most definitely have to side with Wrath class design. In retail I don’t even find my favorite classes fun to play anymore.

1 Like

oultaw was a mistake. roll the bones creator should be fired

Lol they took all of the baseline class abilities and locked them behind a talent tree. They’ve moved all the toys classes previously had access to and added nothing new. It’s a complete joke, I can’t believe they plan on charging people money for a worse version of SL.

Retail classes feel like crap. That’s not to say wrath classes are the pinnacle of gameplay, but they feel significantly better than the current system.

What, that is what happens when you have a lead dev that was only good at raid design leading the game development.

That’s not an extremely bad take.

Any ability on those weapons could have been a trinket