Chi-Ji Spec

Lots of people brought this up each expac. How monks should have a ranged bow/crossbow user that lines up with Chi-ji since there’s 3 specs and 4 effigy/deities. No other class uses ranged weapons besides hunter, makes sense to have at least 2. No pet (unlike hunter) and simply high mobility and different rotation. Same main kit as all other monks. Seems like it lines up pretty easily. They’re scattered all over the game already in pandaria/classic where monks use bows.

Thoughts?

7 Likes

I wouldn’t mind that, I didn’t even think of that as an option, just figured it a caster and was done with it.

But could do energy and chi, but rotation be based on archer abilities.

I’ve heard it brought up before and I’d love it.

The game only has a single class (Druid) that has both a ranged spec and a tank spec. Adding a second one would be pretty great; I’d take it on any of the tanks.

1 Like

I always love thinking of new specs and while the idea is cool, I’d honestly prefer them not adding a new spec to balance and focus on the three current monk specs that could use some love. It’s why I’m glad we didn’t get a new class this time around in shadowlands either.

The devs already ignore monks. Why would the devs create a 4th spec for a class they dislike.

6 Likes

Do you think it is it dislike, or the fact that they are numbers focused and monks are heavily under-represented?

1 Like

they are heavily under-represented because they designed us this way.

blizz could redesign monks to be the most badass thing imaginable. but they dont, because they just dont care, or they lack the in-house talent to do it. either way its a failure on blizzards part. its not like there isnt a plethora of better represented monk classes in other games and media to draw upon. blizz have no interest in making monks in wow more appealing. they just forget we exist.

the blame solely rests on blizzards shoulders.

3 Likes

We had this, a few times. Even during those times people we were still low represented compared to everyone else.

The problem is the only other classes that have come out since vanilla were hero classes and we aren’t one.

i miss antorus. and tomb era windwalker. and obligatory 5.4.

1 Like

For the monks that could get the lei shen trinket, 5.2 was pretty good too.

If you watch them talk about monks in the MoP announcement at whatever Blizzcon it was, you’d see that they were VERY excited for monks.
On top of that, the class was one of the best designed classes in the game at release and by the end of MoP was over powered, at least in 1 on 1 pvp.

However, the community really didn’t take a liking to the class, probably because #pandasbad
So with so few people playing them, I am not surprised that the attention they get has waned.

But again, to be clear, devs were really excited about monks when they were released.

It was because out of the 3 new classes we weren’t a hero class. We started at lvl 1 and people gave a negative light on it.

which was september 2012. that was 8 years ago. they dont care about us now and havnt for a very very long time. monks still dont even have there visual update yet. our class hall campaign was a beer run. bugs exist in this class for years before blizz could be bothered to fix them. the WDP bug still exists. SEF is still bugged and barely works properly.

they had to redesign the windwalker mastery 3 times during MOP. and it got changed again after that. id hardly call that best designed in an xpack where almost every spec was incredible.

and lets not get into lore representation and our NPCs. as far as the overarching story is concerned, monks dont exist. blizz even forget the pandaren/monk faction leaders in there own ingame cutscenes until the players remind them. in that horde summit where sylvanas captured Baine in stormsong, blizz forgot ji firepaw even existed. the playerbase had to remind them that he existed. they had every other faction leader there bar him. and its even harder to remember aysa cloudsingers name because she gets even LESS screentime than Ji.

5 Likes

Vi speaks to my heart word for word how I feel about Monks. Talk about an abandoned ginger stepchild

The second time our mastery was changed was because of one trinket. Instead of nerfing the trinket, they changed the mastery.

I love this idea but let’s be real, blizz only gave druid 4 specs because it was the easiest solution to their problem. Look at dh, still only two specs lol.

Not gonna lie, your name made me think that they need to use jade lightning in more of our melee abilities.

The fact that monks are, lorewise, shaman that essentially said “screw the elements/elementals, i’ll do it myself” would make the increased use of lightning animations all the more satisfying.

If they do add another spec to monk I just want to be a chi wizard and make jokes about Jackie Chan Adventures. Is that too much to ask? I don’t want a bow as a monk in Warcraft is supposed to be more unarmed focused and a bow is kind of the antithesis to that. Not only do you need a weapons but you also rely on carrying around ammuntion. Maybe they throw a little taoist exorcism in there.

Fun fact: The leaders of the exorcisms create a dramatic performance to call out the demons so the village can once again have peace. The leaders strike themselves with a sharp weapon so they bleed. Blood is considered to be a protector, so after the rituals, the blood is blotted with a tissue and put on the door of houses as an act of protection against evil spirits.

So could have a touch of blood magic in the mix.

Ive been calling for years on a fourth ranged spec with chi explosion and perhaps some bending animations from Avatar as we have four Celestials and each of them have their own niches, like DPS, casting, healing or tanking. No reason why we cannot or shouldn’t have a fourth spec.

1 Like

A fourth caster spec would be amazing! I think a pure caster without a weapon would work best. Monks work with energy, yes? I’d rather a the ranged weapon spec go to DHs because it’s silly to have only two specs and they need a third option, ranged demon hunters just sounds cool. But this is for monks so I’ll get back on track!

A monk who can manipulate chi from afar just sounds like a true master. If Blizzard wants to keep the martial arts aspect to the class I guess they could do Tai Chi-like animations which I think would look really good for a caster. The movements are very fluid and graceful and any of the races would look cool doing them.

I’m new to the class… my main is a holy paladin but I’m super in love with monk healing omgosh. Coming to these forums makes me sad though. Aww

1 Like

Giving us bows would make our DPS competitive against Resto Druids in M+ who just throw hots down from super far while healing. If we had a similar ability even without Battle Rezz I could see mistweavers popularity jumping. I do agree that it makes sense that at least 2 classes use bows. It is silly that it’s just hunters right now.