Charged frost bolt idea

So with charged spells I had a thought.

What if we got rid of glacial spike talent and replace it with something like deep freeze and once we have 5 icicles we can choose to hold down frost bolt for a glacial spike?

3 Likes

sounds fun, BFA had gameplay something like that, i thought it was fun

I like how Lost Ark has the “sweet spot” to release before a channel finishes to maximize the effect. I still feel that some casters, like Affliction or Elemental, could try some neat new interactions with a similar system.

Affliction often just channels an entire channel, but releasing at a sweet spot could trigger extra ticks of DoTs on the target, bringing a little more focus/awareness into maximizing the rotation.

An example for elemental would be Earthquake creating a molten rift, applying low duration (two ticks) Flame Shocks to all targets in the effect.

I could see how Blizzard could become a channel again, where releasing at the right time unleashes a Comet Storm at the end.

Without a sweet spot function, press and hold (or toggle and wait) skills that just modify function based on duration will feel a little flat – most people want poppy, snappy responses from ability presses, not “shuffling the cards” to find the right function.

1 Like

I just want to say this is a really good idea. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and would like to see it happen.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pass thanks. I don’t play to watch a bar hit the ‘sweet spot’ or wait for an addon to ding or count me down. Not that I play retail anyway (thanks SLands) but there’s not a chance in hell I’d be coming back if that type of spell became the norm for other specs. Evoker is a gimmick and they’ll either do it wrong, or make it so simple that there’ll be a macro addon to maximise dps and top meters within a week of beta.

I really like the idea of the charge system for [Glacial Spike], but I don’t think it’s going to work with [Frostbolt]. As a filler spell and one we spam a lot, having it be a charged spell would probably be a bit wonky.

2 Likes

That blizzard idea is fantastic, and it serves the occasionally-necessary purpose of pruning a spell without “losing” it.

1 Like

What do you play for? Maybe that could help guide a conversation better than the negatives.

Partly the social aspect, partly for the content (aka raids) and partly because it’s fun. I did the whole hardcore thing long ago, so now I’d rather just get drunk and raid with friends whether thats on retail or classic.

I play games to relax outside of the usual “fun” activities like work and family, so for me I don’t want to spend 3 hours stressing and having to look at a bar to press/release it as exactly the right time or do subpar damage.

It’s why I gave up on retail. Having to do all this ‘content’ to keep up, farm gold, craft things, keep track of 6 systems, while playing a spec that requires you to push 100 buttons a minute just isn’t why I play. That stuff was fine for the hardcore, but it’s bled into even casual raiding now.

Despite being old content, I actually enjoy going to a raid in TBC and just pushing shadowbolt. I’m certainly not saying gameplay in retail should go back to those days of pushing 1 button, but as a casual raider who plays to relax I’m not keen on the idea of keeping track of 15 mechanics per boss, 50 buttons and procs etc.

If for example I could hold Frostbolt or GS on a 5+ second cast, and the ‘release’ window was 1-2 seconds that might be OK.

1 Like