Character name

I was trying to make a new Character and when I type the name in, it gives me the :white_check_mark:

However when I go to actually press the create button, it says the name is in use.

Bug or is this a “blocked” name?

I think the check means it meets the naming conduct not that its available.

I’ve done names that aren’t of misconduct and have the red X, and I can’t name characters after them because the name exists already. The green should be all good but I’ve had it happen a few times where I can’t. I think at that point someone just created a character of that name or hasn’t populated in for the first time.

2 Likes

This sounds like a bug. The green check indicates a name that is available. Have you tried relogging and seeing if that changes anything?

It usually does, but it’s possible the name itself was on a prohibited list, which blocked it. I only have access to a few of those lists, so even with the name I don’t know if I could confirm it.

2 Likes

If it’s a restricted name, it will tell you.

I’ve been trying to get the name “Georgia” for years and semi recently it gave me this error:

I have a suspicion as to why some names give a green check mark but are taken is the character holding it has been level one for alooooooooooooooong time and it takes someone trying to get the name for the system to be updated.

But Vrak would know more then me (of course.)

It usually does. However, there are several restricted lists, high profile NPC names, GM names, trademarked names, inappropriate names, etc… Most of the time when attempting to take one of those names it will say restricted, but assuming there isn’t anything else wrong with the name the OP is going for, it’s possible that the name they want is on a list that doesn’t give that specific message.

The system that allows names to be released for reuse is fairly automatic now. If a name qualifies to be freed, just the act of using that name at creation will free it up and allow you to use it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes