Character loading and movement issues

Hi,
I’m not sure if I’m posting in the correct area for this matter but ever since 8.2, I have been loading into an area (Dalaran, for instance) and the zone will load, and NPCs and other players will begin to pop in (was instant before this). The problem really occurs when my characters do not load in, HOWEVER, I can move… Here’s the part that’s even weirder.

When I move, my character stays where I should be.
Meaning, I port into Legion Dalaran and begin moving but my character is still like ‘stuck’ to that spawn spot. But I’m moving, according to the minimap.
When my character finally decides to load, I get zapped to the location I moved to on the minimap. But until then, my screen is still stuck in the spawn area, and I can’t move, turn or anything. Other players and NPCs are moving around like normal… It’s just weird.

Another problem I’m facing is loading screen lag. During the loading screens, my mouse is getting choppy and it’s just taking longer to load in general…

I really don’t want to think this is a CPU problem as this is a fairly new rig (2-3mo old) with an RTX 2080 and i7 9700k.

Please help? <3

EDIT:
This was quick…
So I did more digging and I think I found the fix… I BELIEVE that it was DirectX 12. I swapped back and forth trying to recreate the same instance and Dx 11 was loading things as normal and Dx 12 was slow. For anyone else having this issue… It might be an RTX 2080 driver problem with Dx 12.

5 Likes

Thank you for this post!

I was having the same exact symptoms since 8.2 was released. I’m running a 1060 card with up-to-date drivers. I switched from DX12 back to DX11 and the problem is completely fixed. It makes me wonder if the patch changed the DX setting to DX 12?

My symptoms were exactly like the OP so it can’t be a coincidence. When I would first load into the game it would take 10 seconds or so to load in the world and I could move while it was loading and it would appear to skip from where I loaded into where I moved to.

I have the same issue. World loads, my characters do not for several seconds and I appear to not be able to move, but when my character does actually load, suddenly snaps to their location.

However, I’m not using DX12 mode, I’ve been on 11.

I’m having the same issue, when I summon a mount my character will be “Stuck” then ill teleport where I tried to move my character.

1 Like

I have 3 accounts and have no problem with this except just on one toon. I log in on him and every thing loads slow taking a while to pop up and he also takes a while to load in .

It just happens on this one toon and other ones on that account are fine even with out add ons

Just adding my experiences with this type of lag or movement stalling. I would log in and my char would be missing some items on ( IE shoulders would not be showing) or just be blank on the screen. I seem to have solved this and my Nvidia driver was outdated and it seem to clear up this type of problem. I think it relates to the post if not I am sorry.

1 Like

Same thing here. Slow loads,character in place. Helm,shoulders don’t load. Mail items,mission table backgrounds etc…

I have this same issue exactly how you all describe it. It takes a solid 2 minutes before I can do anything after logging in. I just spent $500 upgrading my graphics card, power supply, and motherboard and the issue persists.

Apologies for somewhat of a necro - but I have this issue as well and I’ve tried many troubleshooting methods but issue still persists.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions that I can try?

Would doing a complete re-install of wow be worth it?

WoW. Thank you for this post.

Posting in this old thread, as the issue is still relevant, and no good solutions have been posted. I have a Rog Strix 1080, 32gig Ram, i7-8700K 3.7 GHz. When loading in the world, vendors and other characters are seen immediately, but it takes a matter of minutes to see my character, during this wait i can move normal, and mount up, I see my mount, but it takes time for my character to load. I have tried different settings to no avail, if anyone has a solution it would be appreciated

Hi Orphanmaker

We should take a look at your DXDiag system report to start here:

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion at the end of this example link: https://pastebin.com/Qk28Ed1P <=== this code)

Alternately you can place the link in a Preformatted Text box. Paste the link in the chatbox - then highlight it. Click the preformatted text button along the top of the chatbox - looks like this </>

Will look like this example afterwards:

https://pastebin.com/xxxxxxxx

This thread is a bit of a necro - might be best to start your own new thread. How we like to do things around here. Paste that DXDiag link on your new thread.