Character Backstories

For the last several years, I have found myself wondering how my paladin came to be in the service of Stormwind. I took control of my character when he became an adult, somewhere in his 20s or 30s, gauging by his appearance. The question I ponder most is how he got to be a paladin in the first place.

In the real world, paladins are legendary knights of Charlemagne. They were adapted for “Dungeons and Dragons” as a class of holy knights, and since then they’ve been “armor-plated monks,” in the sense of being typically religious and combative.

In the world of Azeroth, I imagine my paladin began his life as a farm boy whose father owed a debt he couldn’t pay. Consequently, he offered up his son’s services to a paladin, and the paladin shaped the young boy into a champion for Stormwind.

More and more I’ve been giving serious thought to joining a roleplaying server, but I don’t necessarily want to be tied down to roleplaying. I also don’t have my character’s story fully fleshed out yet, in terms of how he acquired what he has, the titles he’s won, and so forth.

I’m curious if anyone else has created a backstory for how their character came to be what they are at the point when the player took control of them.

My main and her brother were born in Starbreeze Village. Their parents were traders. When they were young, their parents made a trip to Astranaar and left the children in the care of their aunt, Dirania. It was later said that they were waylaid on the road by a Horde warband who attacked Auberdine, seized the ship, and crossed over to attack Rut’theran Village and Darnassus.

Dirania stayed with them in Starbreeze, but rumors of impending trouble caused Dirania to make arrangements for them to move to Shadowglen. Her friend, Iverron, helped her move the family there. Dirania’s instincts held true. Not long after they left, the village was overrun by furbolg. They spent the rest of their youth with their aunt until my main was old enough to start training as a hunter. Her brother became a warrior.

1 Like

I believe this is common practice among many who roleplay beyond a casual level. Such things help inform why the character is the way they are, as well as provide depth; and otherwise, can be fun to read if shared.

I think the most storied of mine might be for my Night Elf Death Knight, Sinothyr Skyfire. To summarize, she began as a blacksmith, obsessed with the artistry of her craft; she was also something of a serial killer. Her business was failing, due to the untimely nature of her work, and so she turned to adventuring, taking a childhood friend along with her. a recently retired Sentinel.

The two had a falling out in the Plaguelands, after an ill-fated confession from Sinothyr and parted ways. Since then, she took to stalking to former companion, while being stalked herself by an unknown knight. Her attention soon turned fully towards this knight, the pursuit of whom led to her demise by an unusually massive pack of ghouls. The knight, a Death Knight, collected her corpse to be raised at Acherus.

During the battle at Light’s Hope Sinothyr met her old companion among the defenders. She slew her in combat and cursed her spirit, turning her into a banshee. She came to regret this, and other actions taken under the Lich King’s thrall, prompting her to divorce herself from it all by taking the name of her old companion.

3 Likes

I totally understand. I worry that the story in my head won’t fit in with what’s expected from others. So long as I keep it to myself I have complete freedom.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about rewriting my character’s story, since his is somewhat bland. “Born in Elwynn Forest and drafted into service as a paladin” works fine, but it seems very straightforward. I was thinking instead of something more exotic, but I don’t know enough about the lore yet to make anything concrete.

Perhaps he was born into a religious order of some sort, but in an “unholy” union (an extramarital affair or somesuch). I like the idea he’s always had a shadow at his shoulder, making him and those around him question his loyalties. It’s that doubt which drives him to prove himself loyal and capable, which is why he was eager to throw in with King Varian to fight the Undead.

I’ve also thought about renaming my character, since I chose his current name in haste and I’ve never really liked it. After digging around, I came across “זה שהולך בחושך,” a Hebrew phrase meaning (I think), “The one who walks in the dark.” I don’t know how I’d “Romanize” such a phrase to make it sound like a name in Common, but I’m working on it. I’m a native English speaker who doesn’t know the first thing about Middle Eastern languages, so there’s a high probability I’ve gotten something wrong there.

Influences for my character have been Ardeth Bay from The Mummy, The Gatekeeper from “The Dresden Files” (the books by Jim Butcher), Khadgar, and Medivh. He’s got something of an Assassin’s Creed vibe, aesthetically, and an appearance some might say is “Middle Eastern” (dark hair, olive skin, dark eyes). His temperament tends to be lighthearted, at least off the battlefield. He likes cracking jokes when he’s not striking the Undead’s skulls from their shoulders.

1 Like

It certainly is a lot of fun, but nobody says you have to be tied down by anything. Not your own Roleplay, and not anyone else’s. The titles you’ve earned on a particular character don’t have to actually apply to them in RP. That doesn’t mean they can’t either. Though to get some, your Paladin may have to be well traveled or maybe even in two places at the same time…

Not a bad start. Now you just have to figure out the middle from the time he became a squire to the Paladin he is today. Best part about Roleplay is that you get to experience the lore around the game on a level so much deeper than a regular player who just burns through quest after quest, mob, after mob.

As with many a roleplayer I’ve done my share of story development with Ryu as well as most of my characters… Ryu is kind of a “special” case as I’ve had him since OG BC back in year 3-4, long before a lot of the “Quality of Life” changes they made.

Let me introduce, Ryu “Falcon of the Kaldorei” Doseki of the Wildhammer. Born to the Doseki clan, raised by Night Elves within the Shores of Kalimdor. Won’t go into too much detail or I’d have several paragraphs here. Basically Ryu stowed away on a Pirate ship, joined the crew, got caught in the Malstrom and became shipwrecked only to find himself on Northern Kalimdor. After being discovered by the Night Elves, he was raised by and trained with them for the next 100 years prior to the Battle of Mount Hyjal.

Even though I have done all of the dungeons on Ryu in-game, they are not part of his story. However Most of what has happened on Kalimdor from Vannilla onward likely is.

1 Like

I know i have…

Lyoog was born shortly after the first war… grew up in the interment camps learning anything and everything he could. When thrall was raiding the camps and setting free orcs Lyoogs parents were killed trying to save him. His fathers last battlecry, “Lok’tar Ogar!!”, forever ringing in his ears as he fought and bled following in his fathers footsteps of being a proud soldier of the Horde.

Not full story. Just a small quick summary.

2 Likes

Roleplaying is generally a great concept when wanting to immerse yourself in the game’s world and its story. As someone who loves fantasy and writing, it was something of an inevitability for me to get involved in games like WoW, doubly so for immersing my character(s) in the lore. As an altaholic, I have alot of characters on both the Horde and the Alliance, and in turn alot of stories and background for said characters. But for the sake of keeping this post short, I’ll only talk about my main.

Bhemarg is the product of two orcs hailing to two different clans. Unlike most though, he wasn’t born on Draenor, nor does he know much about the history of his people besides what was told to him in stories. This gives him something of an identity crisis, as he wishes to learn more about his people and in turn, discover more about who he wants to be. This all comes to a head when he is captured by Alliance soldiers and put into one of many internment camps at an early age. Seeing the poor state of his people, and the hostility and malice of the Alliance, particularly the humans, ignites a rage in the young orc. One which sparks a burning desire to crush the Alliance, and all who serve it. When he’s set free by the rebellion of Thrall, Bhemarg chooses to join them, to both serve this new Horde and find a place and identity for himself in the world.

That’s the short summary. I have alot of additional information in a background I made for him, but I hold that information close to the chest only for those that want/get to know him more.

My character was born as the third child of a priest who hailed from Quel’thalas, who had left all of that behind after the death of his first wife, traveling for awhile before meeting the daughter of a Priest of the Holy Light in Corin’s Crossing and deciding to marry her. He would convert and learn the ways of the religion of the Holy Light and begin to shepherd the flock at Corin’s Crossing as well.

Halandor was raised to essentially take on the family business and become a priest in his own right, but was too rambunctious as a child to sit still. A local guard would often spar him with wooden swords and run off his energy.

At fourteen it was decided that he would train as a squire under the Order of the Silver Hand instead, and he would be knighted in the order, but would choose neutrality, and the Argent Dawn instead, joining it upon its founding.

His life was spent in the service of the Argent Crusade- and then sometime in the middle of the Fourth War- when the Argent Crusade was just taking care of its own hldings, he died while on a mission to get reinforcements from Hearthglen.

I have only played Halandor as a Death Knight, but that was the backstory before then. Since then, he has returned to the Argent Crusade (he is -technically- Ebon Blade but does not care to identify himself as such) and his goal is to spend the rest of his unlife with the Crusade until he either falls for the last time or the Crusade disbands.

1 Like

This character was born to an average family in Quel’thalas (prior to events of the RTS series). She cultivated a faith in the Light during her adolescence, which culminated in more formal training around the time Arthas marched upon & sacked the elven kingdom. She and her sister survived, and during the rebuilding years is when she met the person she’d fall for and become betrothed to - another elven priest by the name of Fahr, who had similarly experienced a similar loss. He would later follow Liadrin’s example and become one of the Blood Knights.

Her defining moment, which set her on the path she still treads, occurred during the Northrend campaign a few years after the sin’dorei formally joined the Horde. While she tended to the wounded and infected at camp along the edge of Icecrown, she would receive the devastating news that Fahr’s group had been overpowered by the Scourge. In equal parts of disbelief and grief, she’d lash out against her allies at camp proclaiming that they sent him on an impossible mission and that if he was indeed gone, they owed her his remains at least. When they refused, she would attempt to recover them herself, wielding the Light with deadly intent at any who would try to stop her. The Argent Crusade would quash her outrage, sending her back to Orgrimmar for judgement.

During her time as a prisoner, the Void’s whispers would begin to seep into her psyche, leveraging her grief to gain a foothold into her mind. As Azeroth reeled from the Cataclysm and the Horde faced civil war, she eventually learned to control it, to manipulate it – or so she thought.

When the Dark Portal turned red she was given her first taste of freedom as a test subject to ensure the safety & stability of the ancient gateway. For her service for the Horde during the Draenor campaign, she would earn her freedom. However, she would also at this time begin to notice the Light’s embrace was no longer as strong as it had been prior to Northrend.

The return of the Burning Legion forced her to hone her skills and control both Light & Shadow equally. It also reopened old scars, as every battle brought back images of her beloved and his battles against the demonic menace during their people’s early days within the Horde’s ranks-- scars which the Void would exploit to further its influence on her.

The second Horde civil war and discovery of Azerite introduced her to many new friends, and for the first time in a long time, she no longer felt alone in the world. She learned mercy and to let go of the hate she had been holding onto against humans for taking away her home, her family, and her future. Yet, as N’zoth’s presence on Azeroth grew stronger, her connection to the Light would become tenuous before vanishing altogether. The Void would send her terrible, horrendous visions of the past, of the future, of places both remote and familiar to haunt her dreams, robbing her of peace. Most disturbingly, however, would be the ones of a massive citadel and the Black Empire, where abominations too horrific to comprehend would stalk her, leaving her to wake up screaming - and holding a relic of the Waking City.

Her connection to the Light gone, her sanity teetering on the edge after months of tattered dreams, the events in Northrend following the piercing of the veil offered her hope. She’d return to where it all began and cast herself into oblivion in hopes of freeing herself from the oppressive grip of shadow that possessed her. Instead, fate would preserve her as she entered the realms of the afterlife. Denied her release, she would eventually come to enlist the help of the realms’ denizens in an attempt to be rid of the Void’s influence.

And as fate would also have it, she would encounter the wandering soul of someone she loved very dearly. He would be condemned to torture in order to purify his being for his final judgement. The two would reunite, sharing their journey together. As the mortal realm would begin to beckon her return to the world of the living, the Shadowlands would offer one final gift-- a blessing, on the shattered remnant of her beloved’s weapon she had kept from the day he fell. With it, she could entreat the Shadowlands for her beloved’s soul for a time until the spiritual decay would require his return to the realm which he belonged.

And that is where we’re at now. There’s been several short stories and prompts I’ve posted/replied to on these forums, but this is the general arc I’ve been working on and trying to hold to.

Do you all try to write your character stories in keeping with the quests you’ve played through, or do you go outside of the game’s storylines? I try to follow the game’s storylines as much as possible, with some fenagling to adjust for repeated storylines that feasibly shouldn’t be repeated “in real life.”

Farmer Jim might need my help recovering his sheep, for example, but unless he’s a hopelessly forgetful sort, he shouldn’t need my help more than once or twice. Consequently, when I include such things in Khoshek’s backstory, I only mention them once, and have Kohshek doing something else during the times when I ran through questlines again and again.

Certain instances in-game have specific storylines that really don’t make any sense if they happen more than once, so I use some creativity to fill in the gaps when necessary. Even though I’ve run through The Stockades countless times, I only mention it the once in Khoshek’s history, and fill in the other times with some sort of creative fiction to suggest he was elsewhere.

I’m curious to see how others approach such issues.

1 Like

Personally, if I’m making use of events covered in the games content I tend to do so in a nebulous generalized way or I stick to large scale events that are guaranteed to have many canonical participants. The closest exception I’ve done was using the Deadmines boss Glubtok to explain a certain ability one of my Mages had.

1 Like

While RP servers exist to support RP, they do not require it - the game is still the game, and RP is just a side activity.

Also, a rough sketch is enough to get started with. If you use TRP3 or another RP addon, it’s not unusual to note that the character is still in development, as you learn their personality and details of history through playing their story.

It’s laudable that you are aware of the real-world origin of the Paladin archetype, but don’t hang too much weight on that as far as Azeroth is concerned. In gaming terms, Paladins were a new unit type in Warcraft II. In Azeroth’s history, they were proven knights, of strong faith, trained as healing adepts and battle-priests by Alonsus Faol, who worried that Light-serving priests were otherwise vulnerable on the field of combat even as medics.

A peasant (that is, a farm boy) becoming a holy knight of the realm is not necessarily as far-fetched as it might be. It is essentially the trajectory taken by Jeanne d’Arc, the Maid of Orléans - who overcame the additional barrier of being a woman at a time when military roles were not open to them. And commoners are under-played.

For my part, whether engaged in RP or not, YES, I try to develop a sense of my character’s origins and motivations.

Tym, here, is quite young and only very recently come of age, having been a small child at the time of the Scourge invasion, sheltered and raised in an orphanage, only to learn late in adolescence that he was the surviving heir to a modest estate, but to claim it was challenged to prove his worth by training as an initiate of the Blood Knight Order. So a Paladin, of sorts, but not by choice so much as a probationary challenge. I got tired of seeing 500, 1000 year old elves, so I made one who is 20. It’s been fun.

In-game events occur in his world, but he inherited his estate around the start of Battle of Azeroth, was never personally sworn as a soldier of the Horde (though he supports the foreign policy of the Regent Lord) and was clearly not ready to go to the lands of the dead beyond a broken sky above Northrend.

Story-wise, the cadet-appropriate role he and his fellow trainees have undertaken is to help keep an eye on Windrunner Spire, just in case the volatile, unpredictable late Ranger General decided to mount an assault on her former homeland, from her former home. She didn’t, but the cadets were in place to do useful scouting in order to observe the scale of the San’layn led Scourge assault on Tranquillien - rather than fighting in the midst of it.

I played the level 60 bonus Blood Elf questline to see the story, earn the cosmetics, and play the game. But knowing the story, and what my character was doing, I know that story-wise, he was off over there, to the west, guarding the flank and watching for break-away assaults up the coast. Involved, aware - but not THE hero winning the battle.

1 Like

Depends on the character and their story… For example my Dwarf Hunter I posted about above has done more than just all the quests on or relating to Kalimdor. For example the Defias and Deadmines quest chains. They are no more apart of Ryu’s Story than they were Bowen’s here. I’ll get more into detail with that later.

If all the episodes of Naruto involving that damn cat are anything to go on, some quests could technically be repeatable by multiple adventurers. Sheep wonder off all the time and I don’t think he has a proper dog to help keep the heard inline.

It’s funny you mention the Stockades as Bowen here is a “Knight of Stormwind” in his Majesty’s military. So it’s quite possible he’d have to make trips down into the stocks on more than one occasion.

As far as Major Story events… there is a good chance if it involved Stormwind Sir Bowen was involved. He’s been in the Stormwind Army since I want to say just before the First Great War. I’ll have to check my notes but I believe he served Anduin’s Grandfather before he was killed. Been part of several regiments including the Knights of Uthar whom entered the Dark Portal and were trapped in Outland until the events of BC.

With the above being said, it can be implied that anything that happened in-game Prior to the Dark Portal opening (even if I’ve done the quests) are not Cannon to Sir Bowen’s story. However most of what happened in Outland is as well as Major Campaign events in Wrath are even though I have yet to complete them on Bowen here.

1 Like

The nice thing about RP servers is you only put in as much back story as you want and it’s your prerogative how much that that changes as you go along, interactions with other players not withstanding. You’re not bound by anything. Change your mind about something in that character’s history because of some new development? Boom, go for it, as long as it doesn’t step on the toes of your other roleplayers.

My main is a Lun’alai Zandalari Troll Druid, for which there isn’t a tremendous amount of established lore. I haven’t actually engaged in much RP with other players, so as far as I’m concerned, the backstory of the character is an ever-evolving exercise. Maybe one day soon it will get hammered out, but I don’t feel the need to do so quite yet.

4 Likes

The basic rule of thumb I try to follow is if a singular event has a significant impact on a named NPC in the game, my character did not do it.

Worldwide events, basically if I was playing the game at the time, then my character had a generic part in it. Examples: aid in the assault on Northrend (Wrath), contribute to the defense against the Burning Legion & enlistment in the shal’dorei uprising (Legion/Suramar), contribute time/effort/resources to the Fourth War (BfA), etc. Things my character did not do: kill Arthas, kill Sargeras, restore the Arcan’dor, fight Jaina/Azshara/etc.

Something I like to do is take “historic” lore events, and decide how my particular character relates to them, while still keeping track of their distinct, personal origins. In Legion, for examply, I played a Demon Hunter, but not the Demon Hunter. In my head-canon, all the “hero” feats all go to that Night Elf girl in the Illidari cinematic.

My Blood Elf, then, is someone else. How did he come to join Illidan? Well, with Kael’thas’ forces on the expedition to Outland, in the train of a Magister whose assistant he was, who helped prototype the demonsoul crystal arrays that were sent to Silvermoon to relieve the magic drought.

It was Illidan who taught the Magisters how to do that. When a rift developed among the Blood Elves in Outland, it split three ways: Kael’thas loyalists in Netherstorm, Scryers in Shattrath, and Illidan loyalists in Shadowmoon.

When his Magister was killed, my elf was essentially stranded in Karabor, found work in… hospitality services, and became especially close to one of Illidan’s satyr allies, once a Highborne prince of Eldre days.

One of Kael’s assassins took out the satyr lord, and he needed a host, or else his soul would be lost to slowly reform in the Nether. My elf volunteered.

It’s a unique, personal path to Demon Hunter abilities, with the twist of a willing, welcome demon soul, that is aware of lore, and references it, but doesn’t make my elf Illidan’s right hand guy.

1 Like