CC - realm population issues thread cross-discussion

I don’t think they will do proper merges again ever. But they will likely connect realms. That way this isn’t an issue.

Yes that works with the current system. But it would not work if the existing realms were changed into one larger, integrated realm where everyone was from “Denathrius”

They won’t do that, it caused too much controversy last time they tried it. They’ll just connect realms.

YOU’RE NOT ON THE SAME REALM! YOU WOULDN’T BE ON THE SAME REALM.

Nevermind, you’ll never understand. Muting you.

Yes but that’s my point. Connecting more realms adds to the confusion.

both. give all players with conflicting names the opportunity to change. if no party opts to choose a new name, after a period of time, let the system decide. for example, there is a system already used by blizz for names; if you have an account that is not active for a certain amount of time, you can lose your character’s names. (i came back to the game with several toons being forced to name change–names like sphinx, tetra, bubbleheals, etc.)

Unfortunately you’re missing my entire point here. My suggestion is to drop the existing realms and move all the characters onto the same new realm so we don’t have “connected” realms any more. It’s very confusing to new players especially, the concept of connected realms

2 Likes

My point is that merges is not a viable solution. So discussing it is irrelevant. Players won’t accept mandatory renames of characters they’ve had for years. Connecting is de-facto the same but there is larger and segmented character namespace because of the server connection. So not sure why we’re exploring a hypothetical that they have already explicitly ruled out AFAIK.

That’s why I’m here asking for feedback.

3 Likes

as a cc member should!!! keep engaging with us in GD, ty for that <3 wish more of the 100 cc members would respect us players in such a way

2 Likes

As best I can tell there are two options to achieve what you’re asking for:

1. Introduce last names and use the server name as a default until players select another
  2. Bite the bullet and deal with the immense outrage.

They’ve declined to do both thus far because connected realms are in effect a mandatory (1) without the benefit of the RPG aspect.

1 Like

oooh last names! that would be an ez fix! great idea! <3

Another thing to consider too is server identity. When they did the merging like they did, each server lost it’s identity in some capacity. I remember hydraxis being a small server, but with a lot of folk on it that would want to try their very best and get ahead.

Now it’s like “idk what anything is anymore or who is what” when I log onto old toons over there. I know zul’jin (where i’m at now) is a larger server and illidan is even bigger than zj with massive amounts of raiding on both.

But guilds now idk who is who, what is what, who is good to run with. I go to pug and it’s like “idk who anyone is.”

1 Like

100%. I talked about server identity alot on the CC post. I remember Vek’Nilash back in wrath. I remember names, events, successes, and failures. I remember an Orc Warrior in Wintergrasp that I would go out of my way to kill every time, just because it was him. That part is gone now. It left with group finder, unfortunately; and outside of Classic I doubt it will return to the way it was.

3 Likes

Sadly, that’s not coming back.

But that’s a sharding thing that happened in Cata. That doesn’t really have to do with connected realms but rather the players you’re sharded with. If blizz built the realms up to be large enough to not shard you see the same people again and again. That used to happen early SLands on my realm… until the expac drove everybody away. Now we get sharded with Misha/Rexxar again. But without connected chat it’s like seeing ghosts. Sure they are there but unless I do a /say it does nothing because they really can’t see it.

exactly, even with group finder, you could sometimes find players that you were like, “hey I ran x y z with you a couple weeks ago how you doing?!” Now we have cross realm raiding and M+ and everything is cross realm. It’s great for convivence but bad for making the social connections.

Also why does /who not work half the time? Like I used to /who someone on my realm but now I can’t even /who my other account that’s open sitting beside my warlock. Like I have 1 lock do the /who warlock 2 and the other lock on the other account logged in beside her doesn’t show up on the /who list.

I think this has to do with sharding. Don’t quote me on that lol. But I agree it’s annoying.

1 Like

No think about it, it’s 100% sharding. Because it only returns players on your ‘server’ for that shard as best I can tell. Blizz’s refusal to use Layers in retail is frustrating.

It’s got nothing to do with sharding, it worked for years with sharding.

Only thing I can think of is they broke it on purpose so census addons wouldn’t work properly.

2 Likes