Catalina Has Arrived

I did a fresh install and reverted back to Mojave two days later. Between the Vista levels of pop up nagging, broken Locationd daemons, slow boot times, and a million other bugs, Catalina is probably the buggiest release since 10.1 Puma.

1 Like

Run it in terminal. I don’t think theres anything you can do about the badge notification. The code above will just stop it from being an option under System Preferences -> Software Update.

I’m just getting Catalina going at work, for Mojave we suppressed the banner notifications with: softwareupdate --ignore macOSInstallerNotification_GM . I’d have to be at work to get you the exact script we run. I just started Catalina testing today, but those commands “should” work.

I manage 600 macs (an 800 ipads) that won’t get Catalina til at least the .2 patch with limited pilot testing at .1. I’ll bang on this in the morning for more concrete answers :slight_smile:

Thanks. Terminal is what I meant when I said console. I never use it so had a brain fart lol.

Really hoping things can get figured out here. I’m likely going to upgrade in the next year or so and I really don’t want to have to go with Windows…I really like the MacOS/iOS ecosystem.

I just thought of another possible issue for me. If the pop up is saying to restart to install the update then I likely already have it downloaded. How do I delete that downloaded file so the next time I reboot it doesn’t install?

The installer is in /Applications

Assuming you haven’t already run the installer, just delete it.

rm -rf /Library/Bundles/OSXNotification.bundle

softwareupdate --ignore macOSInstallerNotification_GM

So I push the above code to each computer to run at reboot. It works on Mojave.

Terrible lag here on game play - stop holding down a key but character keeps moving, lag when hitting Escape for menu to come up, that sort of thing. Have looked through all forums but this doesn’t seem to be everyone’s story.

Works fine on my 2017 Macbook Pro, no wow problems. I have it patched onto a 2010 Mac Mini as well, and its running better than High Sierra did.

I’m not gonna lie…I have no idea what this means or what to do with it.

I’m not very fluent with working with macOS at all. Could probably say the same about windows since I switched to Mac years ago…I just never have to tinker with macOS because it just works for me.

Its nearly eight gigs, and you have to download the installer. You can’t install it by accident. Turn off auto update, its just a checkbox.

I have the exact same issue. It’s been almost a year and apparently no fix. Using a 2017 iMac with Radeon Pro 575 4 GB.

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.