Catalina Has Arrived

Catalina is out as of today. Can we please get some official word as to whether it’s safe to upgrade? Any issues we should know about first?

5 Likes

Not official, but I upgraded and I’m very pleased to report not only are there not any problems for me so far, but the game performance has gone up.

I’m trying to figure out why it’s better, best I can find in some google searches is that the Metal engine has probably had some improvements made.

(This is on a MacBook Pro, mid-2015)

2 Likes

I updated as well, so far no issues and everything is running smoothly. (2019 iMac)

1 Like

At the risk of being totally redundant, no problems here so far, either, after upgrading to 10.15, except possibly some slightly higher CPU temperatures — but that may be the fan control app I use (TG Pro). 2017 27-inch iMac 5K Retina.

1 Like

Updated here as well, WoW seems to be fine, however, getting random full lockups, don’t know which app is causing it. (WoW, Bnet, Discord or Chrome). (2013 MacPro)

2 Likes

I had installed early Catalina betas, and had some issues where my framerate would occasionally lock itself at 30fps. It’s running great on the official 10.15.0, though! Camera turning feels even smoother than it was in Mojave.

1 Like

Since I upgraded to Catalina, Any external mouse I plug into my MacBook Pro (2015) it lags WOW so bad…10 - 15 sec delay on any input…mouse or Mac keyboard. The moment I unplug the mouse from the Mac games works normally again.

1 Like

are you all experiencing this in classic or retail?

after I upgraded to Catalina I got a noticeable performance decrease

before upgrading I would be pegged at 60fps anywhere but Org pretty much

after upgrading I go out questing and im at 18-26 fps, I had to lower the ‘render scale’ option in my graphics settings to make it playable, at 83% im gettin about 30-33 fps now

edit: this is happening in classic, haven’t played retail since classic came out

1 Like

I’m having crazy input lag issues that sound like what Asahhealer is describing except its happening while using my trackpad or keyboard. I don’t use a mouse.

Same here. Several second lag when using keyboard or mouse to move. But when I unplug the mouse, keyboard navigation is responsive as expected.

I see no apparent frame rate issues.

It takes around five seconds for elements in a window (maps, appearances, etc.) to load, as much as 30 for nearby objects in the world (including other toons). Loading screens can take over a minute. Occasionally when mounting, I seem to disappear altogether and the keyboard becomes unresponsive, but I then reappear mounted a short distance away later.

Using a late 2015 iMac with an AMD Radeon R9 M395X card.

Uninstalling the Logitech gaming software seems to have fixed the issue. Keyboard and mouse are currently response as expected.

I spoke too soon. The problem is still occurring. Unplug the mouse and keyboard input is nice and responsive.

My advice to pretty much all, avoid Catalina unless you are a pro/techincal user. It’s a very buggy new release that’s not for feign of heart. It has more changes than probably any release of the last 5 years.

2 Likes

Is there a way to ignore the update so it stops nagging me to update? It’ll be my luck I’ll click to restart (to install) by accident and that’ll be all she wrote.

Is this something that Blizzard should be able to figure out how to fix or is it a problem on Apple’s end? If it’s Apple then I won’t ever expect it to get fixed because they aren’t going to care about how a game operates on their computers. I REALLY don’t want to have to buy a Windows machine just to play WoW.

It an apple notification. I looked in notification center and dont see a way to turn off the badge that has a ‘1’ on the system preferences icon if that is what you mean by nagging?

What graphics card?

sudo softwareupdate --ignore “macOS Catalina” <- to turn off

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored <- to turn back on

1 Like

No there’s a pop-up in the upper right hand corner that prompts to either restart to install the update and the other option is to remind me later. I haven’t told my Mac to download the new OS so it might not be wanting to restart to install Catalina but I’d rather not take any chances right now.

I’m assuming we type that into console, right? Does this get rid of the red dot for system preferences or does it eliminate what I’m describing in my last post?