Catalina graphics issues with WoW Classic

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina and I’m seeing corrupted graphics in WoW Classic. It is fine in WoW Retail. Login and character/realm selection screens are also fine.

In the in-game graphics, the action bars and UI are fine, only the rendered graphics are corrupted. I also have zero add-ons. Anyone else facing the same issues?

I’m playing on a 15" MacBook Pro 2018, 2.2 GHz i7, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 555X.

I cannot post links on this forum so it’s hard to explain how the corrupted graphics look. Can an admin please allow me to post screenshots?

I have the same issue with a 2018 MacBook Pro with a radeon pro. On top of that, the game went from running super smoothly to lagging super hard.

In another thread on another site I read someone realized post-Catalina install that WoW is not using the dGPU but rather the intel integrated graphics.

That thread’s suggestion was to turn off the energy saver preferences for automated graphics switching.

Obviously that’s not the “right” solution. But maybe it helps you right now?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try this trick out tomorrow and report back.

Although that would mean that somehow WoW retail is using the dGPU correctly but WoW Classic isn’t, because my issue is only with Classic.

I get corrupted textures in Classic that I don’t get in Retail on Mojave, but a simple /run RestartGx() makes them go away.

Not switching to the discrete GPU definitely seems more serious, though.

Solved it for me thanks!

Not sure if it is your issue that it will solve. But now I’ve seen two reported cases of the energy saver preferences setting resolving post-catalina-install issues.

Obviously something going on there. I think both instances are 2016+ MacBook Pros. That’s an understandable commonality based on the resolution.

Can confirm that changing the energy saver preferences fixed my graphics corruption problem. Will Blizzard patch this? This is a bandaid fix since I will want to switch the settings back after every gaming session.

1 Like

I run a utility called GFXCard Status that lets me manually toggle it from the bar. No telling if it will work in Catalina though.

Nice!!

Still need a “real fix” but glad to be a part of the help.

Remember that if you are horde and come across my toon. :wink:

Heya Wishart,

Super glad to hear adjusting energy saver settings has resolved the issue. Just to clarify, what setting was adjusted? Did we turn the setting off or on?

Thanks!

Energy Saver --> Automatic Graphics Switching to OFF (uncheck the box) …

This forces the use of the discrete GPU on Mac laptops that have one =)

Heyo,
Just to add my two cents, this issue was occurring on my iMac 27" (desktop), and in Energy Saver preferences for this model, there is no such settings.
What resolved my issue was from in-game:
System >> Advanced >> Graphics Card >> Change from AUTO to select my GPU (even though there was only one). Good luck!
EDIT: Appears to only have been a temporary fix. Still having issues. No dGPU setting on the iMac though… Any ideas?

1 Like

Thank you! I’m on a 27" iMac as well, didn’t see those settings and this fixed it for me.

1 Like