Casual PvP - I just want to play the game

I don’t ask much out of WoW. Literally all I want to do is log in, do random battlegrounds by myself all day, maybe collect some transmog from old raids, and log out.

Currently, casual PvP players are not allowed to exist. They are forced through hoops just to be on an even footing in the most casual of content (random BGs), which most will not be bothered enough to do. Torghast and the clearly monetized legendary crafting system, catching up on renown (not as much of an issue now), and worst of all - rating to upgrade gear.

I’ve just come back again this season to see if anything has changed, and it has not. My legendary is hopelessly under-level and the base pieces cost more than I have across all characters. I could grind for gold, or I could pay for a WoW token. Not really a fan of having the option to skip chores needed to be viable in pvp if I pay up.

Rating necessary to upgrade gear is an oddly controversial point, given that it is entirely indefensible. Some will go on about “gear progression” being integral to an MMO while ignoring all the MMOs that equalize gear in PvP, as if they do not exist.
These individuals are telling on themselves and the game by extension - after all, if it’s a skill-based environment, why would you not want that to be the determining factor in any fight? Arguing in favour of gear imbalance is arguing for an anti-skill ecosystem. We already have elite sets, titles, and more for skilled players to show off their accomplishments without having a massive direct advantage that only serves to obfuscate their capabilities.

Bring back legion scaling and allow us to allocate secondary stat points like Lost Ark, seeing as secondary stat distribution was one of the only justified complaints about the system. I know WoD/MoP style gearing is coming back next expansion (and that’s a good thing) but we still haven’t seen the secondary systems (new covenant) and how much they’ll be necessary.

I miss logging on fresh 120 alts still in their questing greens and topscoring in random BGs. Swapping characters whenever I felt like it, no weeks of chores or grinding needed to have a fair playing field. Just let me play the game again.

150 Likes

Thankfully, DF gearing should sort this out.

Depressingly, that is a long ways off and they said they were not going to change PvP gear for season 4.

Not sure why they are not changing it now tbh.

45 Likes

Lost ark’s book of coordination is hands down what mmo pvp should be

I’m never going to forget shadowlands locking honor upgrades behind weekly locked renown while conquest could be upgraded to 2100/2400 instantly , insane honor costs at start of expansion that basically forced alts into completing necrolord campaigns for vers gear, having to wait weeks for legendaries off of world bosses or running a dungeon dozens of time for a memory drop, torgast materials being actually weekly locked and limiting legendaries you could craft, having to get exalted daily hub reputation for conduits and sockets (and then those conduits being RNG and not even upgrading the right thing)

And the list goes on like holy crap SL was a casual pvp disaster

I just want a simple game where we don’t have to farm m+ Or raids or mechagone/naztajar dailies for azerite essences or gamble titanic essence once a week to get an azerite piece for bis traits or have to do pve to get renown to unlock conduit slots and then have to do pve to get the conduits so that we can stack all of those borrowed power modifiers together to feel ready to play

42 Likes

Right now is arguably the best time in SL for casuals.

Why? Because you can make deals in Oribos with crafters for mats+1k tip for 291 legendaries. Your tier is 4 pieces and you can get upgradable parts from M+. Low level now can be upgraded to 272 with uncapped valor. Vers and outside of trinkets PVP pieces don’t hold as high a value as they did previously.

Is it great? Probably not still going to fight dudes with maxxed out stuff but who cares though at this point, what’s important is if you have a shot. Better than nothing and does not require major efforts outside of some progression on ZM which you probably/might have already.

6 Likes

partysync into lower level bgs and get off the treadmill at 60.

6 Likes

Casual PvP is some of the best stuff in WoW, imo.

At least it used to be.

Arenas are gross, won’t touch 'em. Tryhards only, and boy do they love lording over us and telling us what we love isn’t ‘real PvP’

It’s good fun until some elite-geared player decides he’s bored of arenas and queues for casual BGS.

Not even a skill thing; the ilvl boosts they get from conquest gear (that casual players are locked out of getting aside from the minimum rank 1) gets them so much of an advantage, it isn’t even funny.

Again, real PvP relies on skill, not gear. Give the casuals a chance. Being 1-shot has no counterplay and is not fun.

52 Likes

the elitism at 60 for rated content is why i prefer to farm these same players as they level the new fotm class from 10-59. they always blame their loss on gear which is weird since its what they cruch on at 60.

1 Like

Dude, I love your transmog/name so much lmfao

4 Likes

this is the closest to role playing i get. sometimes i stand on top of the auction house dancing and yelling “I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!”

3 Likes

I think if you reach around challenger 2 gear ilvl, you’ll be able to compete against just about anyone =)

2 Likes

Idk if you’re pvp lvl 30+ but if you are it’s way way way way way worse when attempting to do casual pvp. You’re put in a seperste bracket

They still think if they double down again they can make this work.

5 Likes

People hate on WoD but imo that was the best era for altoholic casual pvp’ers. I miss those days. The gearing was great, the ilvl gap was just right, the scaling was great, the double trinket damage reduction addressed the raid trinket issue perfectly, the classes were still in a decent spot…

I don’t care about garrison complaints, the selfie patch, or lack of raids. Just give me the space to play alts without it being a horrible grindy feel and stop putting the pve gear ranking system in pvp. Stop tying player power to these annoying systems. Get the classes right at their base level and stop relying on cheese. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP MAKING THE GAP BETWEEN CQ AND HONOR GEAR A TIER APART!

30 Likes

It is fairly easy for a casual player to get 1400 which gives you rank 4 conquest.

its pretty tough right now for casual pvp dragonflight will get much better for pvp with wod pvp coming back.

we just have to wait another year with zero content :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

im not going to make deals with anyone im going to continue playing my way . I shouldnt have to go through all these hoops to gear up . So no it is not the best time . The best time was back in legion .

7 Likes

it isnt
pardon me while i go cry because a fury warrior once again made me question my entire existence as it ran fades on my whole family

this is satire

Because it’s been min/max’d to the point where it’s not fun, see Classic

Same mentality, meta chasers. Pick FoTM class or reroll, good stuff

Casual bgs don’t have that, because ppl are still playin for fun

Ranked PvP will always be less popular, the community in there is terrible

13 Likes

If anything Classic WoW gearing was even harder and more RNG than current SL. You’d have to get lucky to get all the BIS gear and work your tail off to have all the proper consums and engineering items to be ready for a massive pvp raid such as a sithilus 40v120.

Back then you’d have to wake up at 2-3am to go at Green Dragon rando respawn and fight off people while doing a raid boss for a chance of loot to have the perfect parse and speed runs for your raid.

SL is quite easy in comparison of BIG and METa’ing Classic WoW.

Months of effort to BIS out my single toon in Classic WoW is like 8 bis out characters in current SL.

100% agreed. The only stats that should matter are secondaries for playstyle shifts. Now I can argue in favor of gear IF they drop the ridiculous restrictions that rating impose. Catch up is extremely difficult to do when honor gear is ridiculously underleveled.

2 Likes