*Casts Thunderstorm**Nothing Happens*

Does this spell ever work?
Multiple times today I’ve used it while melee are beating on me, only for me to watch while they just continue to beat on me as though nothing happened…

Edit: My main is a 120 shaman…why do the forums log me in on a random alt?

2 Likes

This happens on my MM hunter alt, too. That short-range blast ability that’s supposed to know people back. I generally use it when warriors charge or when someone is literally in point-blank range, and it only works like half the time.

isn’t there a thing called Diminishing Returns?

1 Like

If you are actually able to get Thunderstorm to knock a person back, you are quite lucky.

1 Like

Well aren’t knockbacks in a different category then normal stuns? For example, using Hammer of Justice on someone who was just stunned by Fel Eruption will make the HoJ be half as effective (half of the stun, from 8 seconds to 4 I think). Unless someone was hit by 2 seperate knockback abilities before a thundershock, then it should work. Unless I’m getting everything wrong, I’m not a PvP expert, haha.

if someone is uphill and you try thunderstorm it does not work.

im gonna go with lag on this one, on your screen they’re right in your face.

On their screen they’re outside the range and running to chase you/stay with you and keep hitting you.

I had this issue long time ago with chasing people and im right on top of them on my screen spamming my abilities as they run, and the game says im not in range despite what im seeing.

1 Like

Or if they have a blade of grass behind them. Or a small pebble. Or the humidity is too high.

10 Likes

Knockbacks have their own DR too. You are immune to them after getting knockbacked by one thing, for a bit of time. If you’re in a BG and another player used a knockback, they’d be immune to yours if you tried in that timeframe.

I see it all the time in random BGs, especially EotS where something like a druid might try to knockback and fail to knock them off the middle, then when I try to use KT racial, nothing happens (usually because I didn’t see the other person do theirs).

Also, as stated, it might actually go off, but due to terrain they might not move very far, if even more than a foot. It’s the same problem Blink has had for mages since forever.

They have DR. If they’ve been knocked back recently it won’t do anything. If I recall, Knockback DR isn’t like other DR either. It’s like, 1 knockback makes you immune to knockbacks for like 30 seconds, not “you get slightly more resistant over time.”

When I was leveling my KT, I hated when druids would use Typhoon, cause it BARELY knocks people back, whereas my haymaker throws them WAAAAY back and ensures they’ll go into the void in Eye of the Storm. But if they use Typhoon, nope. Haymaker does nothing.

That said, there’s also the whole, “If there’s even a slight incline, they can get caught on it and not go anywhere.” issue Blizzard hasn’t fixed for years.

2 Likes

ROFL!! Though it’s sad how true this is.

2 Likes

My favorite is how it can also stop heroic leap, charge, etc. from going off. :joy:

I’MA JUST LEAP OVER THIS… NOPE PEBBLE, SORRY CANT DO THAT.

1 Like

Yes, but they’re also under a different mechanic than other CC. Knockback DR is considered “on or off” and goes straight to immunity after a single effect hits, even if it is deflected. This lasts the full 18 seconds.

Oh, I get it. Thanks for the clarification!

What I’m getting out of this is that DR is convoluted and probably needs a set of debuffs that displays how reduced various forms of CC will be on the target (different debuffs for the different types of DR).

I’m thinking one icon for soft CC, one icon for hard CC, one icon for knockbacks (or whatever the various categories are), and change the color of the icon based on how much DR is active. Just to make it slightly more clear once you get used to it without having to read the tooltip in combat.

Or they could just do it like SWtOR and have all loss of control effects share the same DR*. Anyone who thinks this is unreasonable is a dirty, dirty Rogue or Warlock and should be ignored. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

*I don’t think knockback is actually on DR at all in that game, but it’s because they don’t arbitrarily decide some classes are going to have garbage tier mobility for “flavor,” and the “PvP trinket” effect has a shorter cooldown and grants timed immunity to CC, not just removal.

Eh charge and leap seem more forgiving than blink/disengage. That has more to do with the former predetermining a location (target for charge and reticle for leap) as opposed to “some distance in front or behind you maybe”.