Cast on focus macro question

I am trying to make a macro to cast destruction warlock spell cataclysm on my focus target, but I can not figure it out. From what I have read, the following should work, but still requires me to place it via my mouse, which is what I am trying to get away from.

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus] Cataclysm

I just want to have it auto cast onto my main tank assist or focus target. I seen dk’s macro a spell to drop raise the dead on themselves, but maybe this is not exactly the same thing macro wise.

@target is your target unit
@focus is your focus unit
@focustarget is your focus target unit

I know the Wiki sites get that all confused and I’m working to fix it where I can, but it’s important to be clear and precise when you’re asking for things or describing problems.

That said, Cataclysm, the Destro Warlock talent, is a reticule-based ability.

The only two places you can macro it to appear are @cursor and @player, by design.

/cast [@cursor,mod:alt][@player,mod][]Cataclysm

That will give you all the versatility that you’re going to get out of it unless you want to block it when you’re not actually in combat in which cast this:

/stopmacro [nocombat]
/cast [@cursor,mod:alt][@player,mod][]Cataclysm

It’s possible that somewhere in the two pages of results from WoWHead there is a different Cataclysm ability that is unit targetable, but I couldn’t find one.

It just occurred to me that what you’re seeing, something done by DKs, might be macro’d to @player (it would appear right at their feet).

2 Likes

ahhhh OK then. So it is intentionally designed this way by Blizzard. Kind of a intentional slow down in our spell rotation. Almost intentionally to add some pain in the butt factor. OK, thank you.

I was wondering why it was not working and I am like trying all the different combinations of wording, thank you by the way for making the importance of clarity out to me. So I can basically have it for a last second defense then by having it so it will drop on my feet. Might be nice if I was using grimoire of sacrifice, but I did not plan to.

OK then, I guess I will need to learn to play better.

1 Like

Without that, every reticule spell becomes a targetable AOE, something I wouldn’t mind as a Hunter, but something that would greatly alter play balance.

Yeah, I’m thinking this is one of them speed bumps that blizzard put into play to keep some balance/fairness in the game. Ok guys/gals, thank you.

Cataclysm is a reticle spell. It can only be cast @cursor your mouse or @player your feet, in addition to the normal method.