Can't switch back to Necrolord

My shaman has been Venthyr, Necrolord, and now Night Fae.

When I swapped from Venthyr to Necrolord, I started the Rebuild Our Trust quest to rejoin Venthyr. I’ve been on that quest for quite a while now, and never completed it.

Today, I swapped from Necrolord to Night Fae, and tried to start the Rebuild Our Trust quest to rejoin Necrolord. Since I already had the quest to rejoin Venthyr, it wouldn’t let me get the Necrolord Rebuild Our Trust quest. I dropped the Venthyr Rebuild Our Trust quest, but I still can’t start the quest to rejoin Necrolord.

It seems I’m going to have to rejoin Venthyr first before I’ll be allowed to Necrolord. I swapped to Night Fae just to mess around for a few days, but the process of going back to my original covenant went from 3 days to 3 weeks – two of which will be in a covenant I never wanted to join – because of this.

This is nonsensical and obviously not intended.

Switching back was never intended to be easy. Defly on you.

Switching back was never intended to be easy. Defly on you.

It was “never intended to be easy,” but there’s a system in place for that. They intentionally made it a huge pain to switch back and forth. You have to run two pretty intense quests across two different lockouts in order to switch back. It’s a giant pain.

You’ll notice that system does not include a clause that says, “You will have to switch to a covenant you don’t want to switch to before you’re able to switch to the covenant you want to switch to, which will make it take seven times longer for no reason whatsoever.”

If they intended for that to be a mechanic, this wouldn’t be the first time I was experiencing it. You see, I’ve switched a number of times now, and this is the first time I’ve been forced to switch to a covenant I didn’t want to switch to. You have to jump through a very specific set of hoops in order to end up in the situation I’m in.

I refuse to believe Blizzard intended for switching to randomly become exponentially harder if you do the steps in this very specific order. That doesn’t make sense. There’s no warning that this might happen. The system was not advertised this way. There’s no gameplay reason for it. It breaks the lore. It screws over the player for literally no reason whatsoever.

It’s obviously unintentional because Blizzard isn’t stupid enough to build it this way on purpose.