Can't for the life of me figure this macro out

My macro worked fine for a while. Then on Tuesday with the patch it stated having some problems. Half the time I log in an Apocalypse won’t cast. Other times it works fine. I’m not playing with any addons.

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=60 Apocalypse, Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict

I’ve tested and the following work

/cast Apocalypse
/castsequence Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict
/castsequence reset=60 Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict

When I try:

/castsequence reset=60 Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict, Apocalypse

The first part of the macro works then when it gets to Apoc it stops working. Apoc will light up as cast able with festering wounds on the target and is showing the correct tooltip. However, it won’t cast with the button press. I don’t even get a verbal error like, “that ability is not ready yet” Nothing. Just doesn’t work.

In the past two days some times I log in and it works other times it doesn’t.

This

/cast Apocalypse
/castsequence Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict
/castsequence reset=60 Corrupted Gladiator’s Maledict

Is very unlikely to work because both Apocalypse and this specific trinket is on the Global Cooldown (GCD). The GCD is a mechanism used by Wow to limit you to only casting 1 thing at a time (most other trinkets are not on the GCD and can be used/cast at the same time as regular spells) and in Macros wow only tries to cast the 1st GCD-limited ability/spell/item and will ignore all others.

Both this
and this,

Should work the same.
If the sequence is Apoc then Maledict,

1. The first time activate the macro Apoc should cast
  2. The second time activate the macro, within the reset time of 60 seconds, Maledict will cast.
  3. if you waited 61+ seconds to activate the macro the second time, the sequence will reset back to the beginning and wow will attempt to cast Apoc again. But Apoc’s CD is 90 seconds! You can’t cast Apoc. Too bad. You’re stuck on an uncastable spell for another 30 seconds. The sequence isn’t going to the trinket until you can successfully cast Apoc.

Note: the character in Glaidator’s isn’t an apostrophe ' and wow will not recognize it. Blame whatever autoformatting your browser/editor is imposing for that.
Bad spelling: Glaidator’s Correct spelling: Glaidator's

Instead of using the trinket name (which can be mispelled) use 13 (1st trinket slot) or 14 (2nd trinket slot) like this:

/castsequence reset=60 13, Apocalypse
- or -
/castsequence reset=60 Apocalypse, 13

You can also add some stuff to the reset, like reset automatically at the beginning of combat.
/castsequence reset=60/combat 13, Apocalypse
This doesn’t mean that the first item in the sequence will be usable. You’re always going to have the problem with CD’s.

A better solution would be to use modifier keys (alt, ctrl, shift) and intelligently switch between the abilities.
/cast [mod] 13;Apocalypse
If you hold down a modifier key (alt, ctrl, or shift – assuming those aren’t keybound to another game function) and activate the macro, wow will activate whatever is in the 1st trinket slot. Otherwise it casts Apocalypse.

As an FYI: I’ve heard that the GSE addon (Gnome Sequencer Enhanced) creates a more intelligent “castsequence” that gets around the blocked spell/CD problems inherit in /castsequence but I’ve never used it.

2 Likes

You’ll likely need to use /use instead of /cast as trinkets don’t appear to fire properly when using /cast with the slot number.

1 Like

I think I didn’t make it clear, the top three lines were attempted separately as a means to test what is not working in the bottom cast sequence macro.

The problem is Apoc isn’t working in the cast sequence macros when I add the trinket. It doesn’t matter if Apoc is first or second in the sequence.

ie

/castsequence reset=60 Apocalypse

Works fine

Apoc does not work and macro won’t progress to Trinket

Trinket will go off on first press and progress to Apoc. Apoc does not work.

The reason I’m using the macro is I’m always using the trinket after an Apoc cast for a burst window. So it’s an easy way for me to cast both spells with one button and no modifiers. In the case I don’t need the trinket burst, it resets before Apoc comes back off CD so I can cast Apoc again.

I switched the macro to:

/castsequence reset=60 Apocalypse, 14

This appears to be working thank you very much. There must be some weird interaction with Apoc or something, given that the trinket worked fine in the sequence but Apoc did not.

Or the spelling of the trinket was off. That 1 character being wrong would throw it off

Except the trinket works in the macro. Only Apoc doesn’t. As an update. I logged out and logged back in and the new working macro also doesn’t work now. Same behavior. Trinket part works Apoc doesn’t.

I’ve been shift clicking the trinket and spells to make sure spelling is correct.

I installed GSE and have the macro working. It was a lot simpler and has a lot more functionality. It’s annoying to have to use a mod to do something the game is capable of doing without a mod.

I have run into this problem as well, haven’t figured out a solution yet but I know what the problem is. The macro using Apocalypse was configured in such a way that it knew to use the spell when made. The macro however when relogged in randomly will cease to function as it confused the Spell Apocalypse (275699) with the Item Apocalypse (Item# error:404). if you put the Weapon in your bag using your macro will auto equip it.

For single spells, “/use” supposedly looks for items first while “/cast” looks for spells first. But for “/castsequence”, the game always looks for items first (which makes very little sense, IMO).

The same problem happens with “Healing Stream Totem”, which is both a shaman spell and a follower upgrade item. If you don’t have the item, the /castsequence macros work, but as soon as you get one of those items, they stop working and the game opens the follower panel (often mid-combat) instead.

Anyway, now that the problem has been clarified, here’s how to work around it:

In the /castsequence, simply add () (open parentheses and close parentheses) right after the name of the spell. So “Apocalypse” becomes “Apocalypse()” and “Healing Stream Totem” becomes “Healing Stream Totem()”. That will force the game to ignore the item and cast the actual spell.

6 Likes

Thanks! this bug still isnt resolved and i just came across this fix trying to macro unholy assault and apocalypse together, apocalypse wouldnt ever fire for no perceivable reason and was causing issues. This post helped a lot so cheers.

17 year of wow and macros and this saved me so much time im glad you fixed this issue

Please, for the love of G-d, read the forum guidelines on spam and do not necro old threads for “me to” and “thanks” and other such irrelevancies.