Can't find old character

Hi, I’m trying to work with support to find my paladin that’s been obliterated at some point. I haven’t played him in awhile, and had him deleted because I get weird looking at populated character select lists. He was definitely over the purge level last time I checked, but I don’t remember what level he was after the SL squish.
Anyone have tips on how to help them find my character? They don’t see him existing but they saw a priest I deleted back in 2018 who was definitely deleted first and a lower level.
I saw someone mention something about cache folders and I did find his folder in there, but idk what to do with that, if anything.

Do you happen to remember the name and server of the character in question? Also, do you have other accounts. Chances are either support did not find the character because it didn’t meet the requirements to not be purged, or it’s on a different account.

1 Like

If he was deleted prior to the level squish, he’d still be that level in the deleted list.

If you can recall his race, name, and server, one of our SFAs might have an opportunity to take a peek.

Do you happen to have multiple game licenses or Blizzard accounts and are inquiring on the correct one?

Yeah his name was Ectrisper on the Turalyon server. Blood elf paladin

And I only have one wow license on my account so im definitely on the right one

Hey Artrellis,

I wanted to clarify something from your initial ticket because it doesn’t appear the Game Master corrected the information.

Deleted characters remain within the database for a finite period of time depending on the character’s level. That level for standard characters has always been level 50+, for pre and post level squish. There were exceptions like Death Knights, Demon Hunters, etc… but regular characters, as long as they were level 50 and above, aren’t removed if they are deleted.

From what I can see you had a level 85 Blood Elf Paladin on Area 52. That character was transferred in 2014 to Turalyon. I am not sure where it went to from there. We’ll likely need to open an investigation from there and see if the character can be recovered.

Leave your ticket open. A Game Master will have to see if they can escalate your issue.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, yeah that’s the paladin. I never took him off Turalyon after that if it helps; it’s my main server.

So I was told it was purged. Part of me wishes I could understand how I have a lvl 24 deathknight that’s safe and a char I deleted in 2018 who was lower level than my paladin is safe when he got purged.
I guess at the end of the day it’s on me for deleting him to clean up my active character list, just really depressing in the end.

Deathknights use to start at level 55. When they squished, that made them under 30. They needed to be leveled to 58 to allow saving. So Deathknights deleted before the squish would still be eligible for restoration even if they are under 30 after the squish.

My paladin was 110 before the squish so that can’t be it

Deleted characters have to be at least level 50 to be saved forever. That was true before the squish, and remains true after the squish.

Characters deleted before the squish stay at their pre-squish level until they are restored. They get squished as part of the restore process.
So, a level 62-ish DK in the deleted character queue, would be squished to around 24 when restored.

If you were to delete the now level 24 DK again, he would only be kept as a deleted character for a short period of time before being permanently deleted.

Similarity, a 110 deleted character would be restored as a level 42. As he is now under level 50, if deleted, he too would only be recoverable for a short time.

1 Like

I appreciate the explanation, but I guess I’m still confused as to why my 41 priest is still around then; when he’s been deleted for far longer.

Is the priest still deleted, or have you recovered it already?

pre squish, in terms of character deletions, any toon that was lvl 60+ was permanently saved on the backend on blizzards servers while anything below 60 had a temporary save duration before that characters relevant info was dropped from the databases.

post squish: a lvl 60 is 25, lvl 70 is 27, 85 is like 32 or something, lvl 90 is 35, a lvl 100 would now be lvl 40, a lvl 110 is 45, and lvl 120 is currently 50.

though i havent personally deleted any toons in any of those level ranges to know for myself. i did delete a worgen dk some time ago but i could restore that toon at any time if i desired to.

Pre-squish above level 50 was permanently saved. Post squish is still level 50. If a character was deleted above level 50 pre-squish, then they would be saved still, unless they were undeleted post-squish, and not at level 120 pre-squish. If that is the case, and the character re-deleted post-squish, the character would need to have been leveled up to 50 during the resurrected time before re-deletion.