Can't Enable DirectX 12 in WOW

Exact same situation here. GTX 670MX.

Same problem here. GTX 970M

Same here. GTX 760

I as well cannot enable DirectX 12. The option is not there in the drop down. I have tried creating a new Admin User & tried using the argument in the Battle .net app.

System Information

Time of this report: 12/11/2018, 21:38:19
         Machine name: NICK-PC
           Machine Id: {62B2D47B-9926-4218-ACCE-174D4BB6C7D2}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
         System Model: System Product Name
                 BIOS: 1203 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
               Memory: 16384MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM
            Page File: 9062MB used, 9687MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Same here. Tried all the tricks from other users. GTX 660

DX12 is not supported for anything below a 800 series card. And only some of the 800 series have support.

Here is a link to the feature levels for GPU’s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D#Direct3D_12

1 Like

Guess that explains it, then. Thanks, Northerlite.

This is not quite accurate. Those are feature levels of DX12, not versions of the primary API.

“DX12 feature level 11_0” is a thing, as is “DX11 feature level 12_0”. But the former is still DX12, and the latter is only DX11.

All Nvidia Fermi-based cards and better (GTX 400 and up) support some feature level of DX12. The Wikipedia table confirms that, as does Nvidia itself. (There’s a list on their site as well as a support article, but I’m not permitted to link here.)

If WoW’s DX12 support requires a certain feature level of DX12, the devs should clarify that.

Sincerely, an poor old 660 owner who’s also confused by this

1 Like

Any card below a 800 series card will not run DX 12 in wow. And not all of the 800 series will .

While technically older cards do support DX 12 in a limited way NVidia has dropped support for 600 series and older cards. And the 700 series are soon to be EOL

Thats not accurate. My wife has a 750Ti and she has the option for DX12 and is using it without any issues. I, on the other hand, have a 780ti and I dont even have a DX12 option after patch.

2 Likes

Can we stop spreading bad info? Nvidia has not dropped support for Kepler or Maxwell. That is everything from the 650 and 750 upwards.

If your assertion is that WoW requires feature level 12_0, then just say that.

1 Like

The 750 is a Maxwell-based card, which has full DX12 FL 12_1 support.

The 780 is actually a Kepler-based card, so you’re probably in the same boat I am. No full DX12 support and WoW apparently wants at least FL 12_0.

Also have this problem running a GTX 980, no option for 12 in the drop down.

Anyone have any luck finding a fix yet?

Ah, I’m running Windows 7, and it doesn’t support DX12. So that’s probably the reason for me :frowning: Not sure about OP.

Its not miss information its a fact Yes new drivers will still work on them but they are not adding new features for any card that is 600 series and below. Most of the 700 series are just Kepler refresh and also will not run wow the exception is the GTX 750 TI which is a Maxwell chip.

Most
List of fermi GPUS there are 400-800 series in the list
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4656/~/list-of-fermi-series-geforce-gpus

List of Kepler GPU’s

These are the Maxwell GPU’s and are should run wow in DX 12

1 Like

Have you checked to see if you are running wow in compatibility mode.

A 750 TI is a Maxwell card and shares the same GPU as the 900 series. All of the other 700 series cards and below will not run DX 12 in wow as it is missing the required feature level in the GPU.

I realize there are a lot of people with older cards that support the DirectX 12 API even though they cannot do so entirely in hardware, which means WoW will not run in DirectX12 mode. And I appreciate and understand their frustrations; but to the potential posters and the Blizzard respondents, can we please keep this thread on the rails from which it was created?

There are people that are 100% DirectX 12 hardware compliant that are having a software issue, most likely related to an interaction with Windows 10 user accounts and/or some other factor.

Let’s keep this one on topic, please. There’s plenty of forum space to go around.

5 Likes

This is true. If you launch WOW from wow.exe as Admin, Directx 12 option is there.
I made a new admin user on my PC and the Directx 12 option is there even when you launch from battlenet.
Is there a way to fix my “normal” admin user that i used since my last windows installation?
Edit: my card is a gtx 970.