Can we please revert or partially revert the Smite aura damage nerfs for Disc?

I don’t agree. They have the opportunity of tuning disc for the different content types with the tree. Adding different playstyles doesn’t make the spec work in all types of contents, it just adds more playstyle at the expense of the depth of current one.

The new priest trees are grotesque. IDK for sure if the Dev is up to the challenge.

2 Likes

If I want to do that I play Holy? Why does disc need to be another flavor of holy? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

rolling on the floor laughing, bravo bravo .

lol wut?

Disc basically plays the same as right now, pvp looks a bit weird with no shadowmend and trinity hasn’t been adjusted yet, but otherwise it’s fairly similar + gaining a few things :man_shrugging:

Adding renew makes the class as a whole more coherent while the spec feels a bit more legion-esque.

I’ll refrain from further diverging from main topic after this post. We’re totally off topic…

Disc plays nothing like holy, and has literally 0 similarities in playstyle in the current beta.

Whatever you’re talking about has to be EXTREMELY hyperbolic to come anywhere what you’re saying.

If Atonement was pulled back, then yes, it would play considerably like holy.

That said, I don’t know what atonement has to do with the aura nerfs, especially to Smite, being terrible. The spec is playable, but considering other healer tools are giving them way more damage, it needs a boost. That’s all this thread was about.

2 Likes

This isn’t the case for any class except for Spriest - and even there it’s not REALLY a big playstyle shift to take VE over DA. For most classes, the distinction between playstyles is multitarget vs single target or focus on this specific skill, or this other specific skill - this makes sense because there just isn’t room in these trees to do much else.

Atonement is a core theme of Disc right now, like it or not. To make it a capstone talent, or try to support a playstyle without it would require a significant rework to the entire class. The talent system just doesn’t have enough nodes to support something like that. It’s essentially asking to shove another class into one class spec tree. Rather what the Disc spec tree does is ask you if you want to do more direct healing with PW:S, or if you want to focus more towards Mind Blast/Execute phase.

Granted, I agree that Shadowmend shouldn’t have gone. I’ve already given that feedback in the beta feedback thread. Realistically Disc should keep shadowmend for several reasons.

Let’s address that. How is Flash Heal significantly different than Shadowmend? The answer is, it really isn’t besides one being light themed and one being dark themed. If Discipline plays nothing like holy now, why would that change make it play more like holy?

Followup to Renew - how is renew in DF any different from what PW:S is in Shadowlands? About the only difference is Body and Soul in PvP, I’d say. But realistically, both are small, pre-emptive heals that activate your Atonement - and in both cases their healing is pretty minimal. The use-case is pretty much entirely the same.

Then let’s look at PW:S - it has a cooldown now, but it’s a significantly larger shield (and with talents, you’re looking at like 3-4x the current shield). Realistically this isn’t similar to anything Holy has in playstyle except for maybe PoM in that it’s a button on a cooldown.

But even if I were to give you that, and say PW:S becoming a cooldown is a playstyle shift towards holy, it doesn’t change the fact that none of this actually makes a core gameplay change to Disc. Rather, the stuff that does is stuff like Twilight Empowerment, which makes you consider your damage rotation more (something holy doesn’t do), Expiation which adds dot management, the SFP talent, etc.

2 Likes

i dont know why i come look in priest forums all i see is people carrying water for blizz and piling on people that dont like what they are doing

guess ill play shammy

What does this add to the conversation? Of course you can dislike what Blizz is doing. I’m not even talking about what I like or dislike about Disc right now. I’m talking about an issue that exists for the spec as it is currently. If you actually want to revert atonement and make it an “option” thereby literally massacring the tree and making the spec unplayable for a whole xpac, that’s your prerogative. Advocate for it all you want. But do it in your own threads. This one is about current disc.

Have fun with shammy I guess.

1 Like

If you was going to main D priest for PvP, you mise well delete it. Just from the shadowmend change and mana issues.

No, the trees were to define your own playstyle within your spec. Not to change the core of each spec. That is just a fundamental misreading of what the trees were advertised as. Atonement is disc right now, in larger terms. Just as Ice Lance is the core of Frost Mage, regardless of your talent choices. That is the flavor of mage you are playing.

Disc’s tree currently accomplishes this to some extent. We have several talents that focus on shielding that are largely effective. We have several talents focused towards our damage CDs which are largely effective. We also have talent choices that work towards a heavy penance build as well - but that talent line is currently in need of some work, especially contrition.

Possibly! I’m not arguing that the spec doesn’t play like it did in Cata/Mop. It doesn’t. But those specs were flawed in their own right and in a totally un-balanceable state. If Blizzard decided they wanted to go back to PW:S and Prayer of Healing with spirit shell being the only buttons we realistically hit with everything else off CD (a very similar gameplay flow to Holy’s flash heal whackamole with off CD buttons thrown in), that’d be fine. And we could talk about how atonement should be optional then - but as it is currently, that’s just not the case.

1 Like

Back on topic :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Was the aura nerf on all our ‘shared’ dmg abilities? Anything else seems to be worth it in terms of reverting? What about sw:pain or other stuff from our toolkit?

We do 6% less damage with all our damage abilities baseline.

Smite does an extra 25% less than that (up to 31%).

Worth noting, Holy priest does 16% MORE than baseline with aura buffs. So really we’re doing ~19% less than them. Except for Smite, which is doing ~40% less damage.

1 Like

as much as someone saying using holy skills doesnt make you play more like holy

so says one with a clear reading comprehension problem

blizzard messed up priest to the point it going to be worse or unplayable in pvp and high dungeons.
it will end up as a stain on dragon flight
festa de palhaço

2 Likes

Well I don’t think that’s the case, and even if it is, english isn’t my first langage so, can happen :man_shrugging:

The guy cries because we’re getting 2 holy spells and then he says he wants the spec to have the option to play without atonement, which is basically holy with shield…

Feels like you’re the one with reading comprehension problem to me, but anyways, this discussion is, again, moving away from the thread, so I’d suggest you go cry about disc in some other thread that focusses on that :man_shrugging:

in pally or DH

you make me laugh that someone never said they wonted a speck that plays with out atonement
you guys backs must be getting tired after carrying water all day
festa de palhaço

You didn’t explain how shadowmend > flash heal is a significant playstyle difference. It’s a slight graphical change and it makes kicking you easier. But that’s not ‘playing like holy’. To truly play like Holy we’d have to be a spec centered around very strong CDs that we are constantly trying to reduce. Disc just is not that at all.

But again, what in the world does any of this have to do with Disc’s aura nerfs? It’s completely off the topic at hand.

Just go play classic if that’s what you want. I have 0 interrest in that boring playstyle.

dont tell me what to do that make two times IDK what you want

IDK what you want either, what’s your purpose here besides trolling?

1 Like