Can We Please Fix Friendly Nameplates?

Coming back after staying off the game a while and one of the first things that happens is my wife goes into a raid and is immediately frustrated by the terrible friendly nameplates and the ridiculous eye catching nature of them. She installed and tweaked nameplate mods for hours, a good bit of time invested, then logged out for the remainder of the day because it was hideous, draws her attention in unnecessary ways and frankly punishes people by forcing them to lose the ability to customize their experience, she was not happy. I did some research into it and realized Blizzard really doesn’t allow nameplates to change in instances these days. This is fine for their reasoning, sure… BUT if they can redesign the auction house and such, there is no reason they can not go further and give us more control over friendly nameplates. Plater is a good example they could use.

2 Likes

Friendly nameplates got abused to make raid mechanics easier, this was Blizzard’s way of bringing the hammer down on those addons. Some people have been asking for simple options to customize the nameplates in raids/dungeons but it doesn’t look too hopeful

The auction house was in the planning for a while and a much bigger issue, I suppose

Abused. Meh… I mean that logic could be used for a lot of addons.
Anyways, I mentioned that I don’t disagree with their reasoning. Nor did I mention any problem with that. However they should have vetted a solution before making this change imo. The interface team would probably appreciate the ability to do more systems like this tbh.
This particular advantage I don’t mind being taken away. They could easily add a widget customization interface for the nameplate. I also didn’t mention the AH as a comparison, more as an indication that Blizzard obviously must realize their UI is in need of work as it’s too limiting and , even if it did take 20 years, is open to letting their team iterate on the UI.

I still don’t understand why they couldn’t have just set upper and lower limits on it. Hopefully they’ll convert over to that in 9.0