Can we not have broken Pve items

for ONE SINGLE season?

BfA S1 had the least broken pve items and also the most players… hm yea no connection between those I think

5 Likes

Whats wrong with pve gear been like this since classic to cata.

yeah but we also had pvp gear with stats like resil, among others that players needed. We used to be rewarded for using our pvp gear to, you know, pvp. Set bonuses were really good (i’ve mained disc since wotlk and we used to have a 4 sec freedom when we would pw:shield), we also got a bonus from using pvp trinkets, and we also used to have to equip a trinket to break cc. Sure, there have been a lot of pve items that were also really good in pvp, but it’s nothing like it is today, except for maybe a couple of singular items at one point or another. The problem with the game now is that dps are just too tanky. Nothing dies. Every dps has short defensives, self healing, and most have crazy mobility. Yeah, dps should have defensives, but having ways to constantly heal yourself as a dps makes for terrible gameplay. Blizz has abandoned this game, at least the pvp side, which has been made more than clear given the lack of pvp changes in the last year or so.

5 Likes

Counterplay was much higher so you could pretty much always outplay people that had PvE gear

Also there was more of a risk minus classic to use PvE gear due to the loss of resilience

PvE gear now has pretty much no tradeoff which is a big difference

There were silly PvE items but you could absolutely be successful without them especially if you just spent more of your time improving the game

Classic again is a bad example

Resilience though made a big impact. There was a defensive risk for getting stronger offensive items, which anyways meant your opponnent could also sacrifice some of their offense for more resil gear too to balance things out

It’s hard to compare it to now where there’s pretty much no tradeoff on some of the PvE items, the game pacing is really rough, the ability to punish is bad etc.

You can select a few outlier items that were silly but the overall game was far superior anyways to make up for that. In some cases though the PvE risks I felt were interesting.

For example in Cata some frost mages would sacrifice a massive amount of resilience to have higher mastery. This was very risky if you were not experienced as a mage because you could easily die for this, so you had to know your limits very well and focus hard on good set ups. A mage that just PvEs and had all that gear would die in 2 seconds because only an experienced PvPer would optomize the use of that gear, whereas otherwise you would be better off wearing full PvP gear and taking a damage hit while you learn how to play.

However right now you’re never going to punish someone with lingering sporepod, heroic mechagon tank punchcard, crucible items last season etc. so it just massively benefits an inexperienced player compared to the past where you generally would have to be good to justify sacrificing defense. Only cheesy defensive items that existed in the past was Bauble and Skeleton key in WoTLK. But outside of legendaries it really isn’t comparable imo.

7 Likes

I know for a fact if i stepped into arena with my Raiding gear in WOTLK besides maybe a trinket/off pieces. i would instantly explode. i know this cause i did it a few times, got out of raid went into a game an got smacked super quick only to find out im wearing full raid gear lol.

In Season 1 we also had no destro locks which made the game passively more enjoyable in pvp

4 Likes

Resto Druids were also one of the worst healers, good times BFA S1