Can we ask for more privacy features in forums to feel more secure?

Throw in a six month cool down between name changes and erasing your posting history along with forum trust level gets reset to 0 every time you use it. That would work for me.

edit
Frankly I hate everything about the original idea. However I am alright with making a compromise. That would somewhat (not very effectively though) handle my concerns for people held accountable for their words and actions.

you tell me. that post was the focal point to the majority of this topic and why it went to hell lol

That effectively solves nothing and is in no way a solution.

3 Likes

This thread was never gonna go anyplace else. Like I said, OP’s idea is never going to gain traction. Not with players, not with Blizzard. It isn’t a serious suggestion; it has never had any chance of being taken seriously, and it never will.

3 Likes

Why would I want to have meaningful conversations with someone who was borderline advocating for the death penalty for the forums or gives death threats a pass? That is an honest question.

As you’ve been quick to dismiss anything that is not 100% comparable to WoW forums, streamer mode is not relevant either using your own logic.

Finally, part of the system compromises you’re suggesting do not work unless everyone participates. If people can just opt out, it’s pointless.

8 Likes

it was already implemented in overwatch2. So it might happen here too.

1 Like

Again, streamer mode is not the same thing you’re advocating for here.

9 Likes

Not a snowball’s chance in Hell, I’m afraid. But I absolutely love your optimism.

1 Like

Yes, let’s copy the overwatch 2 forums exactly on the wow forums.

7 Likes

Not the Overwatch forums, the game. Blizzard implemented a system in-game to help prevent streamers’ opponents from cheating by watching the stream.

Not sure how that translates to forum anonymity, but here we are.

But if OP wants to copy OW2, the relevant thing to copy would be the forums.

2 Likes

Or maybe Blizzard implements measures to prevent stream-sniping in WoW.

I’m not exactly sure if stream sniping is an issue in wow, as (for the most part), being able to see your opponents PoV doesn’t really give you an advantage, or (if it’s PvE), you have to get manually invited for most of the content that gets streamed.

That’s okay, I’m absolutely certain forum anonymity isn’t an issue at all, on any Blizzard forum.

1 Like

Your solution can’t be serious, right? People that advocate for btags are specifically asking for it to avoid those who would utilize your “streamer mode” idea, which is essentially giving everyone a random forum handle every time.

The only way to really solve this (excluding some form of btag identifier) would be giving each Battle.net account a unique handle for the forums with no access to in-game or account information, with the exception of post history. If someone wants to divulge their character(s) information for the sake of showing a xmog, flexing their rio or parses, let them. If you want to roleplay, go do it in-game, there are servers for that.
Unfortunately, roleplaying on the forums should not stand in the way.

If forum trolls want to have multiple accounts, so be it. They should not be able to simply “switch character” to appear as someone else, as they can now. If someone is choosing to ignore someone on the forums, they do not want to hear from the person, regardless of what character they are posting from. Only paid Battle.net accounts should have the ability to post in all forum categories. Trial accounts should only be able to post under the Guides and Support categories.

How does this sound?

1 Like

personally i beleve the best solution is the one that makes both parties satisfied:

1. give players the option to show their btags - the pro btag crowd can proudly show their btags as they wanted - players who don’t want to show their btags are not forced to do so.
  2. give players the option to have a randomized name every time they log into the forums, like overwatch 2 streamer mode - the people who want to have enhanced privacy can do this and be satisfied - the people who want btags can choose to not use the randomized name feature.

it is a complete win-win for everyone involved.

Can you help me understand what you are not getting from my proposal? The privacy for which you seek, is there. I clearly laid out how what your suggestion lays out is not a win/win for everyone involved. Read sentence # 2 of my post.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but now I am starting to feel like there’s a small subset of people who just want freedom to post whatever they please as a random name. This gives me pause about what is truly trying to be accomplished here.

5 Likes

i am trying to offer a compromise that would make both parties happy.

Answer my question directly. What are you not getting from my proposal?

no one should be forced to do something they dont want:

1. the people who don’t want btags are not forced to use btags
  2. the people who don’t want randomized names are not forced to use randomized names.

i can’t see a better solution honestly.

1 Like