Can casual PvP count for something?

Recently read that blue post mentioning rated PvP as a gearing method, and I’m just wondering if there’s a point to participating in other modes of PvP. Namely my main ones, random battlegrounds and warmode in the open world.

I’ve never really had a place in rated PvP. It’s hard to find lasting and willing arena partners, and even harder to get into an RBG team. Rated PvP is also extremely unforgiving, requires extreme coordination, and chronic losers like me don’t get anything out of it. I could spend hours trying and come out with absolutely nothing. Where on the flipside, warmode is something I can just try to survive in on my own with no real penalties attached to it, and random battlegrounds is a fun thing I can just jump into with friends.

Over the years I’ve just felt like I’m not a “real PvPer” by choosing to play in the modes I’m comfortable in. Both because of things players have said to me, and the very systems Blizzard has implemented into the game. I just don’t really feel like I belong anymore. Is there a chance Blizzard could throw players like me a bone too, maybe?

40 Likes

What are you asking for exactly?

1 Like

There is a “bone” for casual pvp.

You do acquire gear sets, including Blue Starter pvp set and Gladiator sets (read: not elite) if you play enough games consistently.

You also acquire a variety of achievements, titles, and such.

You can also acquire VERY important profession recipes.

Warmode Meta achievements also provide titles and even mounts.

There is plenty of rewards for the casual pvp’er.

1 Like

I love random battlegrounds. I want a full set of armor and weapons from them in Shadowlands. I don’t care if they’re considered weak. That gear is special to me.

5 Likes

So far it seems only rated pvp will keep you viable in pvp. Random battlegrounds will end up a waste of time just like in BFA.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how Shadowlands would change this. You seem to be interested in the “jump in and have fun” aspect.

Gear that rivals coordinated group content in PVE should come from coordianted group content in PVP (i.e. arenas and rBGs), but you can jump in with friends and have fun in BGs or open world all you want.

1 Like

It just feels like my only place in those areas is to get beaten up by people who do get to do the tougher stuff.

It’s not just a matter of liking the stuff I can jump in to, it’s also a genuine feeling of being locked out of the other stuff.

I just wish casual PvP could be a viable gearing path too. I just wish I was allowed to be more than free kills in there.

8 Likes

It was viable until Legion, and even then it wasn’t as bad as BFA where you got completely locked out without organizing group pvp or doing loads of pve.

For whatever reason Bliz believes everyone should have the time and inclination to create their own groups in order to be rewarded with any decent gear.

3 Likes

Yeah, BG level gear feels like it’s going to be pretty useless. I think M+3 already gives unrated conquest item level. Seems like M+ will be a go to for people who don’t like ranking.

Shame. Old PvP gearing opened the same set to everyone without giving PvE advantages. Disappointed in the current system so far.

9 Likes

You’re not alone.

7 Likes

The game is just making me feel more and more depressed every day. It really isn’t just a PvP thing either.

Only the strong and successful deserve anything and only they’re allowed to have fun. Failure must be punished harshly and there is no place in the game for the struggling. One mistake labels you a “bad”, PvE content is closed off and you’re only allowed into PvP to feed kills.

Just not feeling like I belong here anymore.

3 Likes

Most, if not all, of that can be fixed by playing with friends. You can have fun with friends, you shouldn’t be automatically judged “bad” with friends, etc.

Find a community of like-minded players at your relative skill level, and try to enjoy yourself.

Yeah you get the gear that can get you into the rated stuff, which gets you the best gear.

The door is always open for you to pursue it. If you’re just PvPing for funsies, then not doing it at the highest level shouldn’t really be an issue.

I want to but I’ve become extremely self-conscious about my ability these days. Even while playing with friends or guildies I can still feel frustration and disappointment whenever a mistake is made, a key untimed, etc. And the extreme few PvPers in my guild have expressed no interest in playing with me. They’re just gladly earning their PvP achievments and arena ratings off to the side without me.

Part of me does want to try rated PvP, but I don’t think I can find willing people and I don’t think I’m going to do well in it. Past experiences have kind of left scars.

2 Likes

Thinking I might just swear off PvP entirely with this new priest I plan to roll when I get back to the game.

No HKs, no BGs, no rating, no conquest, no honor, no warmode, nothing. Just a totally clean record. I probably wouldn’t be very successful as an undergeared solo shadow priest in warmode anyway…

Anyone else take this route?

2 Likes

I stopped playing in rated since cata as I didn’t find much joy there and dislike talking on a mic. I want some personal time, and I am tired of more interactions after a long day of work.
Not a fan on how they make players to participate in every aspect of the game in order to be competitive. Casual bgs is my favorite but I guess in SL I will rely on the chest of disappointment every Tuesday lol, or move on to something else

9 Likes

Fun, Honor Level, Achievements, Gearing?

You’ve achieved the 1900 RBG achievement. Clearly it sounds like you’re just scared of doing competitive content that the game offers. That sounds like a personal problem, the reward structure is fine as it is.

Casual PvP will still give you decent gear and transmogs. You will still get achievements, pets, maybe a mount and a title or two. Seems like a pretty fun system. Zero stress with nice rewards.

If it’s anything like BfA is, not really. All I really got from my form of PvP were vendor trash 425 blues, and eventually the single 460 piece each week from capping conquest. Which there’s no indication of that surviving into SL.

And as for the other stuff, you got that by winning and succeeding with your objectives/achievements, which you’re not doing if you don’t have the gear…

I just wish casual PvP could count toward that great vault or whatever it’s called. At the very least let us have a vendor too.

4 Likes

You come off as really lazy. Sounds to me you want maximum rewards for the least amount of effort/difficulty/challenge.

This game is probably not for you, I would take a look at single player games on pc or consoles, Minecraft etc.

1 Like