Can Anduin ever become a likable character?

I have no idea what they’re going to do with Sylvanas or how much longer they’re going to draw her story out. But luckily I don’t see any reason to think they’re going to kill off Tyrande.

Really? Not even one? Maybe something to do with her viewpoint clashing with a certain creator’s pet and a ready made replacement that, out of nowhere, completely supports said creator’s pet?

2 Likes

Edit: Sorry, I think I got your reference wrong. You meant Golden, didn’t you? I’m so used to people calling out Danuser. Sorry.

Steve Danuser:

• “The Night Elves have taken some shots on the chin in Battle for Azeroth, for sure. Tyrande is one of the most beloved characters and in all of Warcraft canon, and, I don’t want to speak to datamined broadcasts and things like that, but we will see Tyrande have some conversations with some of our other characters as we wrap up the Battle for Azeroth.”

• “That’s a storyline that we definitely want to pay off and we have some interesting things in the coming expansion that I don’t want to spoil but I hope that Night Elf players get to see a new side of her and their culture in a way.”

I really do hope this means good things, However based on how they have handled night elves and this kind of story in the past it worries me.

I did mean Golden.

1 Like

Golden just writes what she’s asked to write by Blizzard. She’s not even told everything, as we saw with Before the Storm getting retconned because they didn’t tell Golden about Sylvanas working with the Jailer all along.

2 Likes

I find it hard to believe that they would keep her in the dark that much. I mean she been on the game writing staff since sometime in legion. She had to have known the direction of the story.

I think its was just terrible red herrings that she put in to trick the reader. I mean she was the one who argued apparently for Calia to be used, I imagine they had a different character planned for leading the forsaken but that got cut.

Plausible, I guess? Though seems unlikely since she had Sylvanas reference the loa whispering to Vol’jin when she would have known better.

But I don’t know the full picture of how their writing process goes, so I could very well be wrong.

Well if you poke out one of his eyes, decay his skin then have his face look like its been ravaged by a gang of fruit knives then I might think better of him.

Well he seem down with the forsaken and would fit right along side Calia and Faol. Done! i give the forsaken full permission to go zombify him.

1 Like

IDK, this is blizzards writing staff we are talking about. Who knows what is inside Steve Danuser’s head. After all, he wants to make his waifu the most intellect and deadly infinite-D chess player in the world.

It is kinda why I don’t really buy into any “lore” that they talk about at blizzcon unless it is from a panel or something they have prepared beforehand. You never know what the individual writers will say on their own.

I never like Thrall getting the kill on Garrosh but even I can sort of understand their reason. Garrosh was Thrall’s mistake, it made sense for Thrall to correct said mistake.

World of Warcraft has had the Alliance rebuild back its member to a point it nearly has all its old members back with a few new ones thrown in to the mix.

Lets be honest here, the people who play WoW purely for the story are probably not enough to influence Blizzard enough to affect its story decision. Even if it was Blizzard has always been dead set to tell its story the way it wants to with at best minor revisions done due to player demand. Hell, people are probably more mad about pathfinder buy Blizzard has refused to budge on it. I expect the same will happen to the story.

Ultimately I expect it will be content, not story that will truly influence the playerbase of WoW.

1 Like

Right, so while I do agree with you for the most part, OP, I’ll play Devil’s advocate here: Anduin is already a likeable character, he’s simply not everybody’s cup of tea and in his current state, isn’t fit to be High King. (WoW’s writing being inconsistent in quality doesn’t help)

A friendly, polite, slightly awkward but well-meaning young man with little in the way of life experience isn’t really an appropriate choice for a figurehead representing half of Azeroth’s population in a time of total war. Anduin should have a come-to-Jesus moment and become a bit tougher, a little harder, more willing to do what is necessary for the protection of the Alliance even if it makes him comparable to Sylvanas… but from the War of Thorns till now, he’s had no character development. Love that soft priest boi, but if he’s going to stay on as the blue Warchief, he needs to grow a pair and do more than preach about morality - he must do, to quote Varian, what a king must do.

6 Likes

This is a serious problem of blizzard, they start this big plot threads and take literal years to resolve it, thats too long, we need to resolve that ASAP.
Especially things like teldrassil.

and the last time that we got promised with something, we got 8.1 where apparently tyrande got her revenge despite going MIA after the introduction quests to the warfronts.

The lead narrative designer is danuser and afrasabi. sure golden may had a hand in one thing or two. but i feel like her bosses are those 2.

jaina should have been there at least, hell at least a dialogue or something on the death of the man who caused her so much pain. maybe kill him between the two. but i guess that would mean too much alliance in an apparent horde story.

Remove war of thorns and the high king and anduin instantly becomes far more likeable.
oh, and introducing villains that are actually bigger threats than the horde and why we should worry more about them than the other faction.

This I definitely agree with.

We all might remember Shani Edwards from this interview:

Senior Game Producer Shani Edwards: I think she had her moment where we told some of her story and she got her revenge for the Night Elves.

However with the Shadowlands reveal we have had another interview with Shani Edwards:

Game Producer Shani Edwards: We’re gonna learn more about Tyrande’s story. Obviously, she is still very upset about what happened to her people. That’s going to lead her to Ardenweald. She’s gonna get some answers to some questions, and there’s gonna be some stuff coming with her that’s too spoiler-y to talk about but there’s more Tyrande…. All I can say is she has a pretty big story moment in Ardenweald. Very big role also.

Blizzard Watch: Are we gonna learn more about Elune while we’re there?

Lead Game Designer Morgan Day: That’s well into spoiler territory!

Shani Edwards: Can’t [talk about that]!

Maybe the game producer is trying to make up for that previous statement.

I like him

The Korra series here had Big Bads from both. or at least one that was an extremely proficent Air Bender, arguably light years beyond Aang himself.

Anduin is hardly perfect. He was nearly killed by Garoosh in Pandaria, He needs you to keep him safe in Cataclysm when he decides to play detective.

1 Like

Zaheer? He wasn’t an Air Nomad. He gained his air bending from the Harmonic Convergence.

We definitely did see evil people even in the Water Tribe, though.

True, but he pretty much was essentially a self taught Air Guru, he even had the detachment neccessary to master flight without a glider or bison, something Aang never mastered and very few Air Gurus did.

If he wasn’t such an evil so-and-so, He could have taken Tenzin’s job.