Can Anduin ever become a likable character?

That’s a neutral port though. Waging war against the Goblins who don’t take sides is a pretty good way to push an industry powerhouse to the Horde. Wouldn’t exactly be a good start on Anduin’s attempt at proving himself.

2 Likes

As others have pointed out, the Goblins are known for favoring the horde(with Gazlowe joining the Horde). If we takes booty bay from them they have little presence in Eastern kingdoms and give the Alliance another port.

3 Likes

At the cost of fully alienating them? I don’t think that’s worth a port. Especially since they’d just set up shop somewhere else.

2 Likes

I mean they could try setup elsewhere and risk invasion again, Point would be if they secure that port and prevent them setting up shop It prevents the horde entry to southern eastern kingdoms.

Its not supposed be a good move, or one that improve relations but show that he is concerned about protecting the Alliance above all else.

2 Likes

I just don’t agree that pushing a potential resource into the arms of your enemy is a good move. Tyrande did it and nobody lets her live that down.

5 Likes

If your talking about the Nightbourne, I mean if basically calling out the Nightbourne on their problems is all it took to drive them to the Horde. Even after the Night elves helped saved their nation then it shows they haven’t changed from the mana addicts that basically hid in a bubble for 10000 years.

Really that was again hamfisted writing by blizzard as they needed some kinda reason why nightbourne would join the horde. Even then it made very little sense.

5 Likes

Well, which starter did he pick?

15 Likes

Well, that have to be the similarity he brings with him :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I like him. I mean he not as cool as his Dad. But Anduin is a good King.

I think Anduin does need a scar or two.

3 Likes

Maybe we will have him spend more time with some horde leaders so he can rub off on them.

Why is he a good king though, he basically sold the alliance down the river to make peace with the Horde.

7 Likes

If he stops being like Anduin and starts being like Varian, yes. Anduin seems like you just put a 12 year old boy in charge that has never seen a war or evil in his life.

1 Like

Having Varian back would be great, but still prefer he just be king of stormwind rather than the Alliance.

Even though he went out like a boss I felt there was more they could do with him. Really wish Anduin had died on broken shore.

5 Likes

I like Anduin just fine, and he was used decently enough up until BfA. He suffers from being one of Golden’s favourite, meaning that he can never be on the wrong side of something, much like Jaina, Thrall, and Baine, but that’s a separate issue from his character itself. His character has always been well in line with the influences in his life from the earliest times of WoW, and I’ve personally never had an issue with his character so much as how he was used. It’s important to remember that characters are setpieces, and how those pieces are placed often has a far more marked effect on the story, as opposed to the setpieces themselves.

Anduin was essentially influenced by Bolvar (who was his advisor and guardian during the cold war period of WoW, and was actively willing to fight alongside the Horde), pre-MoP Jaina (major advocate for peace) and Velen (who was all about the greater battle beyond the Horde). And while yes, his father did show up as well, in Wrath, Anduin watched his father make peace with the Horde after Garrosh, and the last letter his father sent to him literally stated peace is the noblest aspiration.

The problem, as ever, as always, comes back to pre-patch. Remove it, and Anduin comes off as much more reasonable and nuanced. The problem is not the character, the problem is that the faction war was always intended to end, and they needed a character to voice that desire for peace, so they used him. You have Golden, who adores Lawful Good, straightforward heroes taken straight from 80s and 90s fantasy, contrasted by the rest of the writing team who all have an obsession with GoT style writing and Conan the Barbarian (sans the nuance).

You put any other character in Anduin’s role as the NPC advocating for peace, and they’d be just as disliked. I remember when the BfA cinematic came out, people loved him, and how he was portrayed. That, and the HoTS portrayal, removed from the plot he gets used in, just the character himself, is Anduin.

10 Likes

There was no reason to join a faction at all. Heck, you’re cool with both factions and both supported your rebellion so why choosing a side?

1 Like

I thought it was literally that Thalyssra was mad Tyrande said mean stuff to her? That it was really that petty a reason.

Next time you day something bad about someone’s haircut and you can get ready to get a new enemy :see_no_evil:

Heh I did that yesterday in Tales from the Borderlands. Even after the guy’s intro splash screen told me not to. Then I set it on fire. Went about how you described.

1 Like

I think Anduin was good as a second fiddle to Varian. Varian was more aggressive in his course of action but was tempered by Anduin, and in time, even began to see the merit in each other’s course of action (unfortunately a little too late, given that Varian dies at the Broken Shore). Unfortunately, without Varian, he’s sort of left with this void as a character, where he doesn’t progress or grow as a character.

He’s still timid, he’s still highly morally binding and it wouldn’t be so bothersome if it was a recognized flaw that blew up in his face every now and then, forcing him to change as a character and grow into something more naturally fitting to the world he lives in, but the world sort of bends to fit him and every instance he turns out to be right. Everyone else who has any crumb of reason to them is interpreted as ‘the bad guy’ and I can only stop to scratch my head like ‘what?’.

I don’t think Anduin needs to go as a character. I think it’s high time he changes and that while holding high virtues to one’s heart is definitely a good moral compass, the world that surrounds him demands appropriate action that isn’t bound by aspirations for a perfect world- one that simply does not exist and cannot ever exist, due to the very nature of mortalkind and its aptitude for treachery in the pursuit of selfish agendas.

8 Likes

If he was put in situations where his ideals were actually challenged, as they should have been throughout BfA, then maybe. There was a hint of that in the Lordaeron throne room(which also highlighted a strength of his VA that we otherwise never hear), but then it was gone as quickly as it came.

3 Likes

What Anduin needs is a foil, be it a dark reflection or something that actually challenges him.

That dark reflection was supposed to be Sylvanas as the two of them had similar starts as leader of faction; role forced on them after the death of their predecessor which they did not want but would accept anyway, then you had the their differences that could have played off each other; one is a young man, the other is a centuries old woman, light and dark, ect ect ect.

But as BfA showed, Anduin’s main role in BfA was to make sure the Horde faction remained for the next expansion, he had no real purpose against Sylvanas thus everything I mentioned above was left thrown wasted and because he, as Alliance leader, had to be the driver of the Alliance plot despite not being important to it, you end up with threads like this.

As for things that need to change for Anduin, honestly I will say not much. I like that we have one character in this sad sack of a story that actually wants everyone to have a happy ending. But I do think he needs to take a seat back so a short sighted hotblooded fool can take the reigns of the Alliance so they can actually do something.

8 Likes