Cacoon Strike broken since MoP beta

TL;DR - Cocoon Strike can get pets stuck in the animation for anywhere between 10 seconds to 34 minutes (my personal record.) This has been a bug since the MoP Beta.

Longer version:

I thoroughly enjoy Pet Battling, and as a casual player with not much time online I consider it one of my core features when I play the game. Back in Cata, I received a key to the Mists of Pandaria Beta (thanks Oxhorn). I started playing and testing and reporting bugs.

I remember first hearing about the new Pet Battling system and I thought “huh. Most players will be testing quests and raids and PVP, not wow pokemon. I should probably focus on that”. And so I spent my time in the beta play testing pet battles, catching things and leveling them up to max level.
(sidenote, you could cage and sell wild caught pets on the auction house. I liked that.)
I did notice a few bugs though. I used moths a lot, and whenever they used cocoon strike, sometimes they would get stuck in the animation. Sometimes for a long time.
I reported it, and moved on.

Jump to the MoP release, and the bug was still there. Oh well, I’m sure the Pet Battle bugs were at the bottom of their “to fix” list, so I just submitted the bug again.

Since then I’ve submitted the bug again, and again, and again several times since the beta. In every expansion. And every major content patch.

And just now, (1/19/2020) My moth got stuck in a cocoon strike for 13 minutes. Once it finally finished the animation, it just kicked me out of the entire battle.

I just hope someone hears my plight, and some Blizzard staff member takes pity on my poor poor moth-loving soul.

Seriously though, MoP beta bug in 8.3 of BfA? Hilarious and sad.

You do know you can just click on something on your bar, like the achievements tab, and it ‘unsticks’ the animation. Same with hovering over the Help/Question Mark on your bar. /reload works, too, but it takes longer

Yeah, I usually do that if I’m in a hurry. But I also like to wait it out and time it. Gotta break that record.

1 Like